Pro-1, banding issue on glossy/semi glossy paper

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
As requested a nozzle check. The colors might be a little off, let me know if I need to upload another version.

original

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
I also took this photo of two of my prints. Same paper but the left is using a profile for photo paper and the right one is using a standard profile for common printer paper.

The banding is slightly different than my original upload, this is simply due to a change in the size of the print. Same size = same banding pattern.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to help me out!

original

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm reluctant to assume that your problem is profile related - profiles are not linked during printing to any printing specifics - quality/resolution settings and profiles don't know anything about the images you are printing.
But if the nozzle check print is not conclusive you may run a test print with these images, on the same sheet, side by side, with the same driver settings - and with an orientation that the banding strikes horizontally, and with and w/o a profile activated. Irregularities should become visible in some color ranges.
Color2.jpg Color2a.jpg

and I'm concerned about the segmented GY- gray - field , this should be checked further as well. Same for the DGY field at the bottom of the first patch, only one half is visible.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Frederik Forsberg, The reason you’re having this problem is simple, you ignored the fact that you had a print quality issue, and because your photos were not showing the same banding issues was very confusing leading you to continue to print, but both photos were printed on separate surfaces and therefore the printer would use completely different colour inks giving different outputs.

When you had a print quality issue as you have, you should have stopped all test prints and photo printing immediately and tried to diagnose the problem or seek help from someone, head alignments, profiles and media types has no bearing on poor output quality.

Your nozzle check is your best friend when trying to solve a poor print problem and that’s the only print you should make till you can get to the bottom of the problem, nothing else should matter.

You have clearly dismissed or over looked the importance of the nozzle check and ploughed ahead fiddling with media types and profiles to the detriment of your print head.

Viewing your posted nozzle check I can see the grey is only partially there and 50% is only viable, the Light grey is void of any ink at all, and the Dark grey is only showing the bottom 50%, in short you have burned out several parts of your print head.

The Canon print head needs ink to be continually (Present) flowing through it when under load (Printing Images) and for whatever reason one section (Block 1) was having a problem and was showing signs of ink starvation that needed your immediate attention, and you failed to correct that issue in time to prevent its demise.

Now the only alternative left is to seek to purchase a replacement head from a Canon distributor to remedy this problem because your current head will never recover sufficiently to allow you to make quality print again, sorry for the bad news....:(

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
@Frederik Forsberg, The reason you’re having this problem is simple, you ignored the fact that you had a print quality issue, and because your photos were not showing the same banding issues was very confusing leading you to continue to print, but both photos were printed on separate surfaces and therefore the printer would use completely different colour inks giving different outputs.

Not sure what you are implying but I didn't ignore anything. I did a couple of test prints trying to figure out what the problem was. Mind you that I bought the printer used and it has never produced a good print after I got it. I printed a total of one photo 10x15cm after I made this forum post and that might not have been a great idea, but thats basically it. Also the two photos I posted here as a comparison where printed on the same paper - just with different settings, but I guess thats what you meant.

When you had a print quality issue as you have, you should have stopped all test prints and photo printing immediately and tried to diagnose the problem or seek help from someone, head alignments, profiles and media types has no bearing on poor output quality.

I looked up banding issues and followed all the trouble shooting that Canon provided. Yes in the start I printed some test photos, but thats it.

Your nozzle check is your best friend when trying to solve a poor print problem and that’s the only print you should make till you can get to the bottom of the problem, nothing else should matter.

You have clearly dismissed or over looked the importance of the nozzle check and ploughed ahead fiddling with media types and profiles to the detriment of your print head.

I don't think thats a fair assesment, I have printed a total of 8 nozzle checks. Haven't found anything wrong with them according to Canons instructions and then a few photos.

Viewing your posted nozzle check I can see the grey is only partially there and 50% is only viable, the Light grey is void of any ink at all, and the Dark grey is only showing the bottom 50%, in short you have burned out several parts of your print head.

The Canon print head needs ink to be continually (Present) flowing through it when under load (Printing Images) and for whatever reason one section (Block 1) was having a problem and was showing signs of ink starvation that needed your immediate attention, and you failed to correct that issue in time to prevent its demise.

Now the only alternative left is to seek to purchase a replacement head from a Canon distributor to remedy this problem because your current head will never recover sufficiently to allow you to make quality print again, sorry for the bad news....:(

Well thats not great news. I doubt that I can get a refund from the guy I bought it from seeing that its nearly one month and a fairly long car ride ago. Also since its bought used, I guess he doesn't have to...

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
I will try and talk to the guy I bought it from, but most likely I will have to be looking out for a new print head I guess...

Anyway thanks alot, its not the answer I was hoping for but I am still grateful for the help!

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Also I did print the test photos from earlier. In hindsight that might not have been the greatest decision, but I guess I might just as well post the results. Same paper, this time matte. First one using a photo profile second one using "plain paper" profile. The two close-ups are of the photo using a photo profile.

I realize that this probably doesn't contain any new information.

Attachments

• _IGP1891_DxO.jpg
    _IGP1891_DxO.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 285
  • _IGP1892_DxO.jpg
    _IGP1892_DxO.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 305
  • _IGP1893_DxO.jpg
    _IGP1893_DxO.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 295
  • _IGP1894_DxO.jpg
    _IGP1894_DxO.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 295

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A Pro 1 nozzle check per Canon:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1300.html

Comparing your nozzle check against Canon's sample, your GY and DGY are missing the top half of the swath (or are printing a reduced amount of ink). Since Nature generally abhors straight lines, this is a typical appearance of either an irreparable print head, logic board assay or both. Based on what we have seen on this forum, the odds are it is only the print head and a new one will resolve the issue.

But, and this is said as a warning because we cannot examine your printer in person (let alone I know what to do with it electronically), a malfunctioning print head may damage the logic assay board or vice versa. So, replacing one part may result in an electrical propagation of the malfunction to the replacement part and you are back to square one. This appears to be a rare event.

Could this be perfectly proportioned clogs causing perfectly straight and uniform missing ink? Anything is possible but is highly unlikely. Flushing the print head in the sink followed by a long soak (at least 24 hours) in water plus liquid dish washing soap like Dawn or Fairy, then another flush with water, and then allowing to dry completely before putting back in the printer to avoid an electrical short, is my recommendation for removing clogs. I do not think this will work but you have little to lose (ink and time) with this print head at this time.

Like our Moderator @The Hat , I also recommend you either get a new print head, try to return it the printer (probably why the guy sold it in the first place), or a new printer.

If you are in the USA then the best price for new print heads is usually Canon Sales.

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
A Pro 1 nozzle check per Canon:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1300.html

Comparing your nozzle check against Canon's sample, your GY and DGY are missing the top half of the swath (or are printing a reduced amount of ink). Since Nature generally abhors straight lines, this is a typical appearance of either an irreparable print head, logic board assay or both. Based on what we have seen on this forum, the odds are it is only the print head and a new one will resolve the issue.

I see! I only looked out for horizontal streaks :(

Could this be perfectly proportioned clogs causing perfectly straight and uniform missing ink? Anything is possible but is highly unlikely. Flushing the print head in the sink followed by a long soak (at least 24 hours) in water plus liquid dish washing soap like Dawn or Fairy, then another flush with water, and then allowing to dry completely before putting back in the printer to avoid an electrical short, is my recommendation for removing clogs. I do not think this will work but you have little to lose (ink and time) with this print head at this time.

Hm... I will probably try that, just for the sake of it. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Like our Moderator @The Hat , I also recommend you either get a new print head, try to return it the printer (probably why the guy sold it in the first place), or a new printer.

I have contacted the guy I bought it from, hopefully we can figure something out.

To my knowledge new printheads for the pro-1 are almost impossible to get for a fair price in Europe and it looks like I might have to get a new/used printer after all... Anyway I am glad that you guys took your time to help me out!