Papers to minimise fade with aftermarket dye inks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
'handling ' - the samples were not perfectly flat, still slightly curling as they had been cut off a roll some time ago. this may or may not cause problems with the paper feeding in some printers. The paper didn't touch the nozzle plate and leaving black strikes, it was not that bad in my L382. You need to print your pictures one by one and remove the finished print from the output bin and put them away for drying - the glossy paper seems to need more time to dry than the satin and pearl papers - a day or more would be good. And then it's up to you what you do with the prints - spraying - framing - whatever. It's a specialty paper, you probably would use it only in particular situations.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks for pointing the "curling" issue out.
I was also interested in the susceptibility of it to permanently dent as some papers like Canon Semi Gloss 260gsm (often supplied free with the Pro100 printer deals in the USA) which if you are not careful to lift the edges with both hands it can get a dent put in them from just picking it up using thumb and forefinger of one hand. I was concerned that being a lighter weight paper it might be more susceptible to this issue. Some papers are inherently "stiffer" and don't seem have this issue.

Once you've released your findings re fading over a longer term I'd be interested in trying some. The supplier wanted quite a high freight rate to New Zealand for just sample quantities which is not that attractive to me as from my position a quote for freight of at least a full packet of sheets either A4 or A3 or ideally A3+ size is hopefully more realistic.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I didn't get dents in the paper but know that effect from thinner 140-180gr papers. I'll update my findings of the fading test mid of next week.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I received your email about one hour ago but plead ignorance about where to reply.
Your offer of sample papers is very generous but I don't know how I would repay you except to mail you a cheque made out in New Zealand dollars for the postage etc.
Please allow some time for me to find out more about email communications on Printer Knowledge.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I just had a look to the color patches printed onto the sample swellable papers, they are performing very well, I'm close to say exceptionally well. I'll do more scanning/measuring mid of next week - after 2 weeks of exposure by then. Since there is not so much sun now during these autumn days , mostly overcast , the main protection effect with these swellable papers is most likely coming from protection against gaseous agents - ozone , and to a lesser degree against UV protection. I cannot separate all the variables - UV, ozone, humidity and temperature accelerating or slowing down the reactions. That would require more specialized testing. These are specialty papers requiring some more care - handling, profiling, ink limits but that is not so much different to other papers like that - Baryt, cotton rag etc which all are not universal and easy either. I think this paper type should get some more attention. I'm just thinking to use the Fujifilm DL inks on a swellable paper and could reach pigment ink performance ...........

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Now that's encouraging news, hopefully Mikling will have something to contribute to this subject regarding the performance of the Canon Pro100 with this paper over the next few weeks as well.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Judging by the results Ink Stained Fingers is getting, the fade performance will perform well. However, paper curl is something that something that you should always think about with these papers especially when the radii gets small. Many years ago, I noted an article about handling papers and even with RC microporous papers one needs to be careful about cracking the coating when dealing with curls. To uncurl these swellable papers, I'd take precautions about putting reverse curls on these. Personally, I always dreaded curls....you always need to look out for head strikes on the leading and trailing edge.
Ilford is the way to go for those keepers you'd want to put on these limited supply of swellables...of course provided you can get your hands on some.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Uncurling sheet paper is simple with another roll of paper,
Uncurl.jpg

just roll it up for a while, you won't get any kinks or irregularities from manual attempts.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Judging by the results Ink Stained Fingers is getting, the fade performance will perform well. However, paper curl is something that something that you should always think about with these papers especially when the radii gets small. Many years ago, I noted an article about handling papers and even with RC microporous papers one needs to be careful about cracking the coating when dealing with curls. To uncurl these swellable papers, I'd take precautions about putting reverse curls on these. Personally, I always dreaded curls....you always need to look out for head strikes on the leading and trailing edge.
Ilford is the way to go for those keepers you'd want to put on these limited supply of swellables...of course provided you can get your hands on some.

I checked with the New Zealand agent (importer) of Ilford photo papers and they confirmed that the Ilford Galerie Classic range has been discontinued and there doesn't apear to be an Ilford substitute. Apart from importing from the Northern hemisphere (freight rates are high for A3+ sized boxes) that probably leaves me with HP Premium Plus High Gloss which I can occasionally get in A4 size. If the Chinese paper proves to be satisfactory with the Canon Pro100 I will likely use it much of the time.