Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
What browser do you use?

In Firefox:
Bookmarks - Bookmark this page - Folder - Choose and create a new folder named "nifty" or whatever you like in Bookmarks Menu and save the bookmark there.

In IE:
Favorites - Add to favorites - New folder - name it, click Create then Add

The next time you want to add a nifty bookmark just select the "nifty" folder in the dialog

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I use IE.
Yes that all works OK, thanks again, no excuse to lose anything now!

Regards
Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I see that there is an update post on the Osprey site, see post #1, the bird originated near Loch Awe, Argyll, Scotland.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Some way back (I can't find it now), there was a brief discussion on the subject of how long a printer profile target should be left before a profile was created from it.

Someone was advocating waiting half an hour, others, (I think Statman and I commented) waiting until the ink had dried - may be 24 hours.

It is an interesting topic, if you are into generating your own profiles.

I am using a micro porous glossy paper, which is dry to touch immediately after printing dye inks.

It struck me that it would be interesting to re-profile an old set of targets and compare the profiles.

The set I chose were originally printed on 21 July 2012.

I have attempted to show the resulting difference using WinColor.exe.

This is not easy and colour levels have to be adjusted to lower saturation to make the two profiles visible. The two different outlines are noticeably different in many places and the new profile generated from the 3 month old targets, is showing the wider gamut than the one generated about 24 hours after printing.

Regards Ian

9023_gamut_comparison.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Emulator said:
I am using a micro porous glossy paper, which is dry to touch immediately after printing dye inks.

It struck me that it would be interesting to re-profile an old set of targets and compare the profiles.

The set I chose were originally printed on 21 July 2012.

I have attempted to show the resulting difference using WinColor.exe.

This is not easy and colour levels have to be adjusted to lower saturation to make the two profiles visible. The two different outlines are noticeably different in many places and the new profile generated from the 3 month old targets, is showing the wider gamut than the one generated about 24 hours after printing.

Regards Ian

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9023_gamut_comparison.png
This is interesting. Is everything else the same - computer set up, software, scanner, etc?

If so, did your print age like fine wine, so to speak? Does the ink "relax" within the microporous paper over time, at least past 24 hours of drying time? Could the paper be dry to the touch from above but the ink still wet below the surface?

Nice experiment!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I use the Colormunki & that tells me to measure the print after only 10mins drying time. I've read on the DP forums about letting the print dry at least overnight but I assumed the Colormunki people know what they are doing with the 10min dry, after all you would think they have an interest in the Colormunki profiles being correct a. They say you need a 3D graph to tell the full story of how different the gamuts are.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
stratman wrote:

This is interesting. Is everything else the same - computer set up, software, scanner, etc?

If so, did your print age like fine wine, so to speak? Does the ink "relax" within the microporous paper over time, at least past 24 hours of drying time? Could the paper be dry to the touch from above but the ink still wet below the surface?
Yes to all your questions, as far as I can judge.

The ink sinks into the paper almost immediately, but what happens after that, over a 3 month period, is anyone's guess.

The targets are on good quality, thick 280g paper (as my signature description). They were stacked with others, face down. It is unlikely that light or air would have affected them.

Hi Rod, well that's what this is about, try it your self! You need to play with WinColor.exe to get the feel of the 3D rotation and comparison etc. Click on the small magnifier symbol, bottom right with your own profiles. You cannot demonstrate it on a web page.

You can find WinColor.exe here:- http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12714

Regards Ian

9023_wincolor.png

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Gday Emu
The Wincolor won't install on my Win 7 system. They said it's for Win XP but I thought I would give it a go but after trying to load it told me it couldn't install.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

That's a shame, I have hung on to XP as it lets me keep more control over things. I wonder if MS have created a replacement for WinColor?

Regards Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Rod

I did a quick Google and came across a posting that implied Windows 7 had its own color control applet already built in. I don't know if this is true or not.

Regards Ian

I've had a look at Vista and although it has color management, it does not have the 3D profile display.