New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

inka

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will continue to keep an eye on the inks and make sure I do some print tests when I'm not printing so much. I'm hoping this will keep further clogs at bay. Still don't quite understand how this happened, given the care I take over the whole refill aspect of the cartridges and regular printing...?

The problem is also that these cartridges are so small now, so you have to keep going through the whole refill rigmarole so often if you're printing large quantities - I print a lot of leaflets for my business, and it can get quite tedious. I think the printer manufacturers are doing all they can to make us buy their own hyper-priced inks. But I refuse to buy into their closed own-brand system.

Keep on the good fight! ;-)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inka The problem is also that these cartridges are so small now,
so you have to keep going through the whole refill rigmarole so often if you're printing large quantities
The best way round the problem of ink usage is to have a spare set of cartridges full and ready to go.

When on a long print run just replace the cartridge thats showing low dont wait for the printer to stop and show it empty then just carry on doing your leaflets.
That way youll have plenty of time to refill for the next change-over..:thumbsup

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see chip resetters are now available on ebay (from Germany). Anybody used them?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkjago I see chip resetters are now available on ebay (from Germany). Anybody used them?
As you question is so vague, the answer could be any one of a thousand.
Which resetter are you referring to, for which cartridges and naming the website would also help.
You might think of putting in your own location in your profile that would benefit everyone..:)

ckhottie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
inkjago I see chip resetters are now available on ebay (from Germany). Anybody used them?
As you question is so vague, the answer could be any one of a thousand.
Which resetter are you referring to, for which cartridges and naming the website would also help.
You might think of putting in your own location in your profile that would benefit everyone..:)
He is talking about this http://cgi.ebay.com/Chip-Resetter-C.../390323089551?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item5ae111b08f

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's right ckhottie, I am referring to the resetter for the newer style 225/226 cartridges.

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for that article! Now they mention European 525-526 chips in the article, but the ebay auction says it works for US 225-226 chips. Is it possible that the same resetter works on both or are different resetters needed?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The newer Canon cartridges are region dependent so 225/226 carts are used in the US, and a resetter specifically designed for 225/226 carts is required. In Europe the 525/526 carts are used and a resetter designed for 525/526 cartridges is needed. A resetter designed for the US carts will not work with the EU carts and vice versa.

Added: For those who may be interested, here is a list of the regions for the X25/X26 cartridges: http://www.mmcinkjet.com/English/NewsDetail.aspx?Nid=38

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
inkjago said:
Thanks for that article! Now they mention European 525-526 chips in the article, but the ebay auction says it works for US 225-226 chips. Is it possible that the same resetter works on both or are different resetters needed?
Just to clarify a couple of things... Each chipset/cartridge is different and requires a different resetter...

Where the confusion may lie with the link you were referring to is that they do actually sell both types of resetter... I got my first resetter from RNB-export so they are tried and tested.

Perhaps worth mentioning that I have both 225/226 and 525/526 resetters too...*

*Bread + butter/mayonaise/ketchup or BBQ sauce available with that little self-promo (pickup only) :p