Need CLI-226/PGI-225 backups

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Ok, so I guess I might as well buy the chips (w/the cartridges and inks to go w/them) from Staples, then I'll have my 2nd set of chips. I'll get 2 sets of empties from precisioncolors.com (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Reconditione.../140651838294?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item20bf80bb56). I already have the inks, resetter and the other hardware that lets me get the inks where they gotta go.

You know, I've been on the 'Net since... before maybe any of you even heard of it, and I don't think I've known a more helpful or resourceful community. Thanks guys.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PenguinLust said:
I need backup cartridges for my MG6120.
Ok, so I guess I might as well buy the chips (w/the cartridges and inks to go w/them) from Staples, then I'll have my 2nd set of chips. I'll get 2 sets of empties from precisioncolors.com (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Reconditione.../140651838294?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item20bf80bb56).
Before you order the 220/221 cartridges, make sure your printer - the MG6120 - doesn't have a clearance issue with the plugs Mikling has on top of his "reconditioned" cartridges. A search on the forum, other users, or even an email or PM to Mikling (owner of PrecisionColors) should clear this up pretty quickly for you.

If there is a clearance issue due to the top located plugs, then you can figure out how to circumvent a surprise beforehand, maybe even asking Mikling to sell you cartridges without the top hole and plugs and then refill using the Durchstich method.

With this group of oldtimers on the forum, don't be so sure you ARPA/DARPA/BBS/USENET/MILNET'ed first. :D Whatever it was, I would enjoy hearing about your experiences. :thumbsup

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The cartridges can only be properly flushed within a reasonable timeframe when the tank is open. If you try to flush the cartridge properly without a good exit, it would cost too much time and therefore money. So when using the cartridge that have an open tank, and you need to use the German method, you reseal the hole with a hot melt glue. At least you have a good clean sponge within. Those glue guns with glue sticks can sometimes be found for a buck or two at discount stores.

The proper way to do so is to invert the cartridge and slowly fill the hole from the hole upwards. That way you don't get too much glue dripping into the tank. When you have enough, turn the cartridge back right side up and spread the glue flat over the hole. You do not need much glue to seal the tank. When it some time to flush, you can pull/pry out the hot melt plug and Bob's your uncle. There are benefits to having a hole on the tank side.

You must realize something about that hole with the ball. It is not a straight hole. At the top it is conical tapering down to a constriction. The plugs that worked so well before used this constriction to place tension around the plug about 1/8" down. The plugs that many remanufacturers use that have no flange are straight side and do not go beyond the waist and of the one I have removed, the plugs actually leak. ( even Canon's plastic ball leaks) and it is the reseal label that forms the real airtight seal actually. Having removed over hundreds of these balls I can always see ink past the seal.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Dont forget when youre placing your order with precisioncolors that you remember
to get an extra cartridge for the grey; its an easy thing to miss + a resetter for the 225/226 chips.

Just on the plugs issue if there is a head room problem,
I use hot wax to seal my 521s top fill with a smaller hole I drilled myself.
Good luck with your refilling.. :)

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
So, Mikling, I only use the German method. Do I now need to use a glue gun? Or is that only for the top-fill method? Are there any other issues with using your 220/221s with an MG6120? I've already got the inks, resetter and everything else you pack w/that.

I'm not quite old enough for ARPA, but I did do a lot of 300baud nerding in the 80s.
Hey, I just realized something: that Fisher Price toy my parents got me when I was a baby... I think it was an ARPA-wired embedded system!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Mikling & The Hat:

I was hoping someone could confirm or deny if PenguinList's printer - the MG6120 - has the clearance issue with the type of plugs shown in Mikling's reconditioned cartridge picture. If there is no clearance issue then the discussion is academic. Otherwise, I wondered if Mikling would sell empty but not tapped and flushed cartridges. I, and others, have flushed a cartridge with a Durchstich hole tapped but not a top hole, though it's much faster with a top hole.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PenguinLust said:
So, Mikling, I only use the German method. Do I now need to use a glue gun? Or is that only for the top-fill method? Are there any other issues with using your 220/221s with an MG6120? I've already got the inks, resetter and everything else you pack w/that.
Your MG6120 uses a Grey cartridge in addition to the C/Y/M/BK and a PGBK Pigmented Black cartridge. You'll want to purchase this instead of the ones in the link you posted.

You might want to look at another fellow Nifty-Stuff member's (websnail) web page - OctoInkjet. It's located in England, so shipping will be more to the US. Websnail sells a low profile silicone plugs that are for use with your printer to avoid the clearance issue. They seem to do the job according to others on this forum BUT they are more difficult to remove if you top fill and may not be as durable over time as the customary silicone plug due to the extra effort involved in removing them. Personally, If you have a top hole in order to easily flush the cartridge, then use these lower profile plugs and refill using the Durchstich method. Harmony restored. :) OctoInkjet also sells empty, unflushed, non-tapped 520/521 cartridges which are the equivalent 220/221 model cartridges used in Europe. You can use these cartridges but will still need to swap chips since your North American 225/226 chips are region specific programming.

I'm not quite old enough for ARPA, but I did do a lot of 300baud nerding in the 80s.
Hey, I just realized something: that Fisher Price toy my parents got me when I was a baby... I think it was an ARPA-wired embedded system!
My brother had a Compaq 8088 portable with an acoustically coupled 300 baud modem that was my first home computer in the late 80's and used to connect to BBS'es. That modem looked like a Fischer-Price toy! :gig School had civilian ARPANET.

I'd bet someone on the forum was using ARPA/DARPA long before us. We've got some really old members - like uncle The Hat. :lol:

M

macbroom

stratman said:
Mikling & The Hat:

I was hoping someone could confirm or deny if PenguinList's printer - the MG6120 - has the clearance issue with the type of plugs shown in Mikling's reconditioned cartridge picture. If there is no clearance issue then the discussion is academic. Otherwise, I wondered if Mikling would sell empty but not tapped and flushed cartridges. I, and others, have flushed a cartridge with a Durchstich hole tapped but not a top hole, though it's much faster with a top hole.
The clearance is very tight. A low profile plug would clear but I don't think the regular ones will. He says that he refills German style so if he hot glues the holes on top and tapes them over then he would be good to go.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I'm confused. Like I said, I'm a German method man. So why are we talking about top-filling? Is it now necessary to top-fill with my system?