Need CLI-226/PGI-225 backups

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I've heard that compatible cartridges are bad, so I'd repost here. I need backup cartridges for my MG6120. I already have the originals, but I'm told I should go for empty OEMs so that I can restart printing right away. Unfortunately, eBay, Amazon and even Google doesn't give me much of a selection in this area. Can anyone recommend where to get these?
I'm in Canada so http://inkjetreset.com won't deal w/me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust said:
I've heard that compatible cartridges are bad, so I'd repost here. I need backup cartridges for my MG6120. I already have the originals, but I'm told I should go for empty OEMs so that I can restart printing right away. Unfortunately, eBay, Amazon and even Google doesn't give me much of a selection in this area. Can anyone recommend where to get these?
I'm in Canada so http://inkjetreset.com won't deal w/me.
You are dead right OEM cartridges are the very best for refilling with your own good inks.
The site that you posted above does not however sell OEM cartridges only compatible ones
which are a dime a dozen from just about any EBay seller.

What youre looking for is empty used Canon cartridges not refillable compatible cartridges.
Now you could try precisioncolors.com which is based in Canada or
further a field with octoinkjet.co.uk they usually carry some stock of used Canon cartridges.

The best cartridges to get for your printer are the 220/221 or 521/520 and not the 226/225s
because they are much easier to refill than the opaque 226/225s you currently use.

To use these different cartridges in your printer however youll need to swap the chips from your
current 226/225 cartridges to these used ones to enable them to work in your printer.

Do another search for OEM empty used 220/221 and 521/520 cartridges on Google again
you may have better luck this time and while your there have a look for some good quality inks for refilling too.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Actually that brings up some other issues I had. What is the advantage of having transparent cartridges? Since the amount of ink needs to be calibrated by the syringe anyway, I'm not sure what the point is.
And how reliable and feasible is it to transfer chips? I'm still going to have to buy the real thing to get them, saving me nothing.
This is the first I've heard of 521/520s. What's the difference and the advantage?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust said:
Actually that brings up some other issues I had. What is the advantage of having transparent cartridges? Since the amount of ink needs to be calibrated by the syringe anyway, I'm not sure what the point is.
And how reliable and feasible is it to transfer chips? I'm still going to have to buy the real thing to get them, saving me nothing.
This is the first I've heard of 521/520s. What's the difference and the advantage?
The clear advantage is just that, you can see at all times how much ink you can put into the cartridge,
it takes the guess work out of it and just makes the job that much easier.

Transferring the chip couldnt be easier either, you can find instructions here.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

Refilling your cartridges to start with is never going to be cheap the savings come later
when you got all of these little things in place to complete the job cleanly and safely.

This may also help you in your quest to save lots of bucks and enjoy you printing
at a fraction of the cost of purchasing only OEM inks.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=51118#p51118

The only differences in the 521, 221, 226, and 526 are clear windows
in the first ones and the latter as you know are completely opaque.

Each of these cartridges also has a unique chip that is customised to only work
in an individual printer hence the need to swap over the chips..

M

macbroom

I am in Canada also and am using two MG 6120 printers. If this user want the ideal setup that you suggest he would have to purchase a set of 220/221 carts to get the clear sides, and another set of 225/226 carts to get the chips from......cha..ching....cha...ching.

This is exactly the reason I went with the clear refillables with removable plugs for my second printer. I actually tossed the OEM's carts in the trash after I took off the chips...lol

As for the virgin empty carts it is just the same as with women. There are several methods that will refill the cart with god knows what quality of ink and leave no visible sign that is was ever refilled. Plus the fact that nobody in Canada seems to be selling empty OEM canon carts.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
macbroom said:
I am in Canada also and am using two MG 6120 printers. If this user want the ideal setup that you suggest he would have to purchase a set of 220/221 carts to get the clear sides, and another set of 225/226 carts to get the chips from......cha..ching....cha...ching.
One would already have a set of 225/226 carts that came with the printer. So, only one cha..ching.

This is exactly the reason I went with the clear refillables with removable plugs for my second printer. I actually tossed the OEM's carts in the trash after I took off the chips...lol
No guarantee compatibles will have the same quality or longevity of Canon OEM cartridges combined with more tales of problems than satisfaction by forum members.

Plus the fact that nobody in Canada seems to be selling empty OEM canon carts.
The Hat wrote yesterday:
What youre looking for is empty used Canon cartridges not refillable compatible cartridges.
Now you could try precisioncolors.com which is based in Canada
We all get you like your compatibles. I wish you success with them. Recommend them if you'd like. We'll listen to your experience and supporting evidence. In the meantime, drop the digs at The Hat over a difference in opinion that is clearly in favor of OEM cartridges based on observations in construction and usage by a number of forum members.

M

macbroom

He is looking for a second set as a backup, so it is two cha..chings.

As far as the Hat goes, I am just pointing out options for average users, that are not print shop owners, as I did in previous posts. After he trolled my posts and basically insulted my intelligence I'd say a dig or two might do him some good.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I've been to precisioncolors.com and perhaps I've missed something (I have before) but I couldn't find the empties I was looking for. I'll look to those off-shore links.

BTW, so can anyone recommend where I can get the chipped cartridges? Or is the local Staples good enough for this one-time purchase?

M

macbroom

PenguinLust said:
I've been to precisioncolors.com and perhaps I've missed something (I have before) but I couldn't find the empties I was looking for. I'll look to those off-shore links.

BTW, so can anyone recommend where I can get the chipped cartridges? Or is the local Staples good enough for this one-time purchase?
My recommendation for you as you are looking for a backup cart set is to buy another complete printer that is the same. You may still be able to get another MG 6120 at staples where you are but they have been discontinued. Even in you buy a MG 5320 on sale as it was last week ( not now though), it will be cheaper than buying separate carts at staples. You will still have to buy a grey cart separately but you will have a complete backup system if you have any unfortunate problems in your refilling endeavors or your printer dies, etc.