Need CLI-226/PGI-225 backups

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
I have had both battery and non battery ones. The feedback is 50 50. Some fear batteries but like convenience of portability. Some don't like being tethered down with a short cable when a set of batteries in the resetter is good for hundreds of resets and possibly the life of the printer. Right now I am out of stock on the USB powered ones for the 225/226. When the first resetters appeared many years ago the electronics used internally consumed a lot of power. The newer resetters with their high density and smaller ICs consume much less power and batteries last much longer.
Thanks. Your resetter can reset OEM and COMPATIBLE cartridges? Not I am planning to use anything but OEM now, but would like to buy one that resets both OEM and COMPATIBLE cartridges.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
dvdit wrote:
Is it necessary to weigh the cartridges when refilling the 226?
It is not necessary to weigh the cartridges before refilling. This thread has some tests and reports of refilling the opaque cartridges, both with and without weighing: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7341&p=1

But I think this German refill method by weight is the most convenient method and the best solution I have seen yet. This report by MP640 is a good tutorial as well: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7440 , so I recommend buying a small digital scale.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
The older carts 221s used to be clear enough so you could see into them as you refilled the cart so you would know when to stop. The newer ones 225s are now totally black so you cant see into them to know when they are full. So the way around this is to weigh them. Buy a small gram scale $10-15. I fill them in steps slowly and weigh them as I go. When I get close to the finish weight, you can turn the cart over with the outlet facing up on the scale and then just drip a few drops onto the sponge til you get to the final weight.

You dont want to overfill these carts to the point where the ink is coming out the vent on the top of the cart. Once you get ink in the vent it will dry up and possibly clog the vent. If this happens then you have to empty the cart all the way and do a complete flush of the cart so the vent gets cleaned out.

The weights Im using are a little under the actual weight of an OEM cart to keep from overfilling them. Im using 30-30.5g large black and 19-19.5g small blk and colors.

A battery resetter is probably the best bet because of its portability. Even though the batteries are sealed into the unit with a little bit of ingenuity you can get inside them so you can replace them yourself if you should ever need to.

I understand there are compatibles that are clear on the market (E bay) and the other alternative is get a set of the old style clear 220-221s and then swap the chips from a newer set of the black 225-226s.
So you see there are ways to work around this if you want to.
:)

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Oh yeah you other question most compatibles can usually be reset to my knowledge but in their description if should say you can reset them.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, PeterBJ and pearlhouse. Very helpful post.

mapsy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all, have stopped by and thought I should add something. At inkjetreset.com we do carry oem virgin cartridges, we have yet to find a good supplier for the cli-226 chip series but we are on it and may finally have one. so if you are looking we will likely have some in stock in three weeks. (you can find them under the products tab, OEM)

We do carry 3 types of compatible cartridges, empty, with and without auto reset chips, as well as compatible with Everbrite ink and without chips.

Our empty compatibles are brand new not remanufactured or refurbished, so they work well for our customers. We also stand behind these, so if there is a problem, we are here for you.

I just got a note from a customer whose printer has been accepting a the auto reset chips without any issue and suddenly it does not recognize one of the blacks. We will take care of this customer and get to the problem. This is what we do when there is a problem. Defects can occur anywhere, though I have to say most circuit boards are dependable & stable.

Also we do offer the usb driven 226 resetter with or without a heavy duty 6 foot cable. The manufacturer of these resetters claims they will reset any chip, but we cannot back that since we cannot prove that, and would not begin to attempt to locate all the compatible chips out there. So we stick to the OEM. Also like everyone here, we know the Canon chip is the best one since it does not require any special treatment.

I also want to apologize to anyone internationally for not being able to ship to you. We have a lot of reasons for this from living in the country far from a post office, to insurance issues (we had several packages lost on their way to Canada in the past to the tune of $200, never recovered, but replaced by us.) I don't know if the po has changed their rules yet, but when I checked last week it was still the same. They only insure packages that go express mail or are registered. With this in mind, we found the shipping will cost more than the order, and except for express mail or registered, there is no tracking. But for larger orders it can be reasonable and we have done this on an individual basis when contacted by email. Hope that helps you understand why we don't ship international. I am sorry about this.

M

macbroom

I purchased empty refillables, not from Mapsy, and they had cheap Chinese chips affixed. I was still on OEM ink at the time so all I did was reset the carts with my resetter just to test it. A few weeks later I checked my US supplier's website and they no longer offered the carts with the aftermarket resettable chips but sold them with no chip recommending users swap OEM Canon chips for best result.

I emailed them asking if I should pull the chips that were on the carts and put OEMs on, which I did anyway and this was their response:

Do not reset the refillable cartridge chips until you use them, then only reset them when you get the X on the ink monitor. If you do it first it will damage the chip.

I'm also glad to see that Mapsy has also said that their customers have had good results with their refillables, as I had had with mine from a different US supplier. The peanut gallery here tried to make me out as the village idiot for using this type of well made CLEAR 225/226 OEM alternative. The proof is in the pudding!

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mapsy said:
Hi all, have stopped by and thought I should add something. At inkjetreset.com we do carry oem virgin cartridges, we have yet to find a good supplier for the cli-226 chip series but we are on it and may finally have one. so if you are looking we will likely have some in stock in three weeks. (you can find them under the products tab, OEM)
That is a good news. I assume the chips will be left intact and not removed from the virign OEM 226 cartridges ?

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There are some GENUINE CANON CLI 526 & PGI 525 USED EMPTY INK CARTRIDGES WITH CHIP listed on ebay if anyone is interested.