My CIS search has begun. Calling all experienced CIS users!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
GLO said:
Quick update.

Everything was working fine whilst i had the scanner lid open.

Once closed i heard a loud grinding (not good), which was the tubing blocking the carts whilst the lid was down.
I managed to fix thisby tightening up some slack on the tubing, so know its all running smoothly again.
Yeah that's a standard problem with the multifunctionals.. The lid can cause the tubing to act differently and drop into the path of the carriage so getting just the right amount of slack and tension is a little trial and error.

I primed the carts again (didnt to it properly before) and only left a real little amount of air in the carts.
I think everyone does this at least once in their CIS life :)..

But my dilemma now is that the colours appear to be a bit washed out.

Im not sure if its because the ink run mak be a little too restrictive, but the nozlle checks are 100%, but the horizontal lines in the grid are on a very slight angle. (i thought that an alignment would fix this, but it didnt, however all other lines and text appear fine)
Re: the slight angle.. it's possible that you need to retune the tubing and cartridges as they may be causing the printhead to shift a small amount.. Unlikely and to be honest if it isn't actually affecting the output I'd not stress about it just yet.

As to the washed out colours, you should be able to adjust the colour output a little in the printer properties with some trial and error. Ultimately though it's often the inks themselves that aren't that great so consider using what you have up and getting some of the stuff recommended by various people on here once you're happy with how things are working..

One thing I would warn you about though is that you need to try and avoid playing around too much with the unit.. I've managed to blow an iP4000 printhead because I clamped the tube feeds and forgot to unclamp them causing the ink to run dry and the unit to overheat... So just remain calm, patient and be careful to triple check everything..

It does sound like you got a hell of a lot further along than I did when I was working with the MP750 though so well done.. It's certainly not easy..

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
GLO,

am interested in further feedback on your new system, I have been using 2 Sinopis CISS on MP730 for 2 years. Starting to have flow problems in the sponged colour cartridges. I suspect the sponges / tubes need cleaning/ flushing.

One criticism I have of the sinopis tanks are that they enclosed in a box and the ink level of the black gets difficult to assess with time. The black pigment ink stains the container with time and thus the ink level is not easily determined.

Earlier in my experienced tried a spongeless cartridges ( both in a CISS and as individuals) and couldn't get them to work reliably. Would be interested to hear how your spongeless cartridges are performing.

Did your system come with these washers?

Canon_seal_pad2.jpg

Interesting Comment from the supplier:

"Which are used between the print head and cartridges to overcome the slight design fault in Canon printers. Just replace Canon original old black pad, then it prevents air getting between the cartridge and print head (due to Canon's raised print heads)"

Silicon_Pad.jpg

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hey Ocular.

I haven't played with my spongeless kit that I'm due to review in the future but I can tell you how things are progressing with those silicon replacement grommets you linked to above.

In a nutshell they're well worth getting.. There is a trick to installing them and it definitely doesn't use the approach you see in your picture. Instead you'd be advised to carefully place the grommets in position and then push gently down using the old rubber grommet as a sort of buffer to smooth out the pressure from any tools. I say this as I fell foul of an indent when using a screwdriver to gently push the grommets into position. The upshot was an air leak that threw the whole loop out, so seriously use something to press against and avoid tool marks in the silicon.

Other than that though they really do work well... You have to press the cartridges down quite hard to get them into position but that just ensures you get a good seal around the exit port...

Had two sets of new grommets in now and they work like a dream.. :)

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Ocular, Websnail.

The silicon rings that i was supplied were not the ones in the photo. The ones in the pic 'do' replace the black ones, however i received much much thinner ones, only about 0.5mm thick.

I simply fitted these over the top of the black ones and used tweezers to push it over the print head (vcery carefully)
Note:the first time i did this i did not get a good seal and i had a few drops of ink to soak up.

Because it is so thin, the silicon does give a better seal than the black rubber grommets alone.

All in all my CIS is running great! I have a heap of pics and some mpgs to create a guide. (when i can find some time)

Also my tanks are clear so its very easy to see the ink levels.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
I haven't played with my spongeless kit that I'm due to review in the future but I can tell you how things are progressing with those silicon replacement grommets you linked to above.
Is your spongeless CISS from ink.supply.hk? Did you source from their ebay shop?

Are these grommets available from anywhere else?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ocular said:
websnail said:
Is your spongeless CISS from ink.supply.hk? Did you source from their ebay shop?
Yes... I have a kit they've let me have for review

Are these grommets available from anywhere else?
I haven't found them anywhere else but I'm guessing someone has put them together and may be selling them wholesale.

I was able to buy 30 sets when I ordered up my K550 carts from ink.supply.hk though so they will (or did in my case) sell the grommets seperately.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I cannot view any products on the ink.supply.hk site. I have registered and signed in but can't view any products. Searched for "ip3000" and "canon" --> no items resulted. Has the site been more functional than this in the past?

Websnail,

Would be interested in your review of this CISS

seems reasonably priced, though shipping is a killer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ocular said:
I cannot view any products on the ink.supply.hk site. I have registered and signed in but can't view any products. Searched for "ip3000" and "canon" --> no items resulted. Has the site been more functional than this in the past?
Not really... It seems a bit half hearted as sites go.

Would be interested in your review of this CISS

seems reasonably priced, though shipping is a killer.
Yeah... I'm looking forward to putting the printer through its paces and I think I'm going to use one of my school clients as a test bed once I've ironed out any kinks (assuming I do).

In truth this is going to be my first experience of the constant pressure systems as well so it's going to be quite a ride :)

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail, how did your install go?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
GLO said:
websnail, how did your install go?
I actually haven't had a chance to try it... It still sits in its box waiting but I'm going to be trying it over the summer.