My CIS search has begun. Calling all experienced CIS users!

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, i know im visiting an old thread, but my CIS is still going strong!

Its time to start researching for some Ink Refills for the Canon. Im in Australia and know that i can access Rihac, and Sinopis ink.. What do you suggest to refil the 6B, 6C, 6M, 6Y, 3eBK inks ?

Sinopis is approx A$18/100ml

Rihac is approx A$10/100ml

Thanks

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think sinopis and rihac inks for the 3eBK are dye.

Formulabs (Sensient) were available thru www.inklink.com.au but have folded and the Australian distributor is www.ausjetinks.com.au

Black ink is $59 / litre when I called them last week.

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Ocular,
Hows your CIS going?

Turns out upon closer inspection tht my pigment black is almost out. the others CMYK still has about 20ml left.

I gther from your comment that Rihac and Sinopsis aren't using pigment black. did I understand this?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
GLO said:
Well, i know im visiting an old thread, but my CIS is still going strong!

Its time to start researching for some Ink Refills for the Canon. Im in Australia and know that i can access Rihac, and Sinopis ink.. What do you suggest to refil the 6B, 6C, 6M, 6Y, 3eBK inks ?

Sinopis is approx A$18/100ml

Rihac is approx A$10/100ml

Thanks
InkTec in about US $4.3/100ml. Price is in europe stated in US dollars.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just reporting back re my Canon CISS IP3000/MP730

yes rihac supply dye ink for their CISS as large volumes of pigment ink tend to make blockages in the purge system and printhead and leaves deposits under the carriage system. I have had a number of purge sytem blockages on the black system and as I use mainly for documents I have just gone to a dye black ink for ease of maintenance.

Have stuck with sponge cartridges. Have found the best seal I get is by putting O rings under the printhead grommets with a little bit of rubber grease. (I believe Rihac ( Sam Cahir) toyed with this idea at some stage)
Have adjusted height of ink reservoir precisely. Have learnt how to pull my MP730's to pieces and put it back together. Collect old IP3000 and MP730 for a few dollars and repair them or keep for parts.

Have 4 xMP730 systems and 3 xIP3000 systems on the go. Canon printheads can be so finnicky. Banding can be due to much ink, too little ink, a dirty carriage unit, blocked purge mechanism or a blocked or failing printhead. Inserting the printhead into another machine can help determine if the problem is print head or non print head related. If it is the printhead I soak it in a shallow solution of diluted windex overnight and if the blockage is not dissolved I replace it ( Can get new printheads from US for $50 whereas Canon in Australia charge close to $150! )

I source my ink from http://www.ausjetinks.com.au ( Formulabs) , but have just bought a litre of dye ink from Rihac ( $20 more expensive than the pigment ink from ausinkjets)

My CISS units came from http://www.selectiveimage.com.au ( website very out of date) but CISS unit is very similar to www.rihac.com.au. I have bought one CISS from rihac to install. I like the marriot bottle systems they have and also the ability to clamp of the tubing at the reservoir and also the replaceable covers on the exit ports of the cartridges. All this makes it easy to reprime the CISS if necessary.

Sad to see websnail has left the Canon CISS flock and is into HP CISS. Might have to look at HP multifunction machines when get bored of keeping these Canon machines alive.

How's your spongeless CISS in your MP780 going?

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Ocular,

My CIS is going great, about a year ago i moded my MP780 housing to allow for me to keep the lid properly closed. I used a Dremel and cut a 2.5mm line down the side of the MP780 case so that the CIS ink lines can sit unobstructed beside the MP780 much like it does with the IP4000.

What i am experiencing with the CIS tank is condensation inside the tanks.

It maybe because the tanks are velcro'd to the side of the MP780 and the electrical components may be warming up the ink. (note the MP780 is does not get warm at all on the case) But that is all i can think why it has condensation inside the tanks.

Anyoner else experience Condensation inside the tanks?

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi Glo,

I do see condensation in my tanks from time to time, you must be in the warmer part of Australia with high humidity. I wouldn.t worry about it as it it occurs in the sealed side of the ink tanks and shouldn't change the quality of the ink significantly.

The worst situation I get into is when I don't monitor the ink tanks and it runs dry. I then have to reprime - a bit tedious, but nothing like doing something a few times to get it down pat.

Currently have 4 xMP730 (3 - CISS and 1 refillable cartridges) and 3 xIP3000 (CISS). Rihac enterprises have been great to work with. Their ink is a little more expensive then the cheapest but they are great at supplying elbows, silicone sleeves, broken compression wheels, cartridges if needed to keep everything running. Am using about 2 litres of black ink per year.

Have learnt how to dismantle and reassemble the multifunction units. One of the problems with high volumes of black thru these units is the sludge that builds up under the purge unit is a black paste and will eventually block the purge tubes. I now stick to dye black inks to try and minimise this. Cant over state the need to stick with know your setup. It has been a huge learning curve.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sorry to go a little off topic... but...

Hey Ocular... long time no see :)

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi websnail,

Haven't ventured past my now old fashioned non chipped inkjets IP3000 and MP730. Wish someone would come up with a neat trick to sense low ink level in the black ink chamber reservoir, such a pain to have to reprime a CISS.

charlie1939

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ocular,

You were bemoaning your difficulty in seeing when your black ink reservoir was nearing empty.
Have you considered weighing the reservoir with either a cheap spring scale or postal scale, these can be had for 3 or 4 dollars. Their capacity is usually about 100 g. or so. To check the tank when it is low, you would not need a scale capable of weighing the full tank, but would only need to measure the weight of the empty reservoir tank plus a few grams for the ink you want to have in reserve before refilling the tank.