My CIS search has begun. Calling all experienced CIS users!

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get the CIS I purchased a month ago to work. Mine did not come with any seals for the printhead. i noticed that some of the magenta and yellow were leaking into the printhead area. I think I'll have to put the ink lower and see if that fixes it. I am going to be replacing the chips that came with the CIS to ARC chips off my working cartridges. MX860 seems to be difficult to get to work since it has CLI-221 cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
d1hamby..

I think you should remove your cartridges until you can get a set of silicon seals for your system. I dont know anywhere in the US to get them so Google would be your best bet, unless mikling might know a supplier. The ink reservoir should be kept level with the printer.. ;)

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In my experience, any constant pressure CIS system working with a Canon printer should have the CIS tank height set just right. The top of the ink in the constant pressure output section of the CIS system should be essentially at the same level as the input ports of the printhead. There is some forgiveness in this height relation, but not a lot.

If the CIS tanks are too high, surprisingly there can be some wrong colors coming out. For example, this can make some cyan show up in the magenta bands of a nozzle check, with other combinations possible.

If the cis tanks are too low, usually ink starving will occur and air leaks at the cartridge-to-printhead junction much more likely. The air leaks are
brought on by the extra suction needed to pull ink up from the CIS tank.

The constant ink level in my CIS is too high when the tanks are set on the same table top as the printer, so I have to elevate the printer. The opposite could be true on some other CIS, with a resulting need for elevating the CIS tanks.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
I think you should remove your cartridges until you can get a set of silicon seals for your system. I dont know anywhere in the US to get them so Google would be your best bet, unless mikling might know a supplier. The ink reservoir should be kept level with the printer.. ;)
I have some spare sets that I'll happily part with for anyone willing to pay postage and make a small donation to a good cause like the Red Cross or similar. Honesty box style but if it helps...