My 3D Printer Purchase - Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One thing I really need to figure out is how to get the first line of plastic to stick to the bed better. I'm sure it's some combo of bed-height, bed temp, bed material, print speed, extruder temp, etc
I use a bit of Pritt in the print area and I physically push the filament with my fingers into the feeder for the first ten seconds, (Helping hand) the head height is also important, to low and the extruder pushes the filament out of the way, to high and it follows the extruder, instead of staying where it lands...
The first ten seconds is the most important.. :oops:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Here's the filter and filter bar installed:
Is the dust filter to remove dust from the filament before being used for better functioning or to decrease filiment particles created after extruded?

I ended up having to add a "brim" to the print to get everything to stick properly.
What is a "brim"?

Great looking printed items, Rob. Functional and good looking. You have hit the ground running!

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
Is the dust filter to remove dust from the filament before being used for better functioning or to decrease filiment particles created after extruded?
It serves 2 main purposes. One is to remove dust particles that might clog the 0.4mm hole in the nozzle. The other is that some people like to add a spot of oil so that the filament gets lubricated as it passes through. I used to do this as it prevented extruder mis-steps with my longish Bowden tube, but no longer need to do this since modifying my printer. (I have a self-built delta printer that I'm always modifying.) There is also a school of thought that the oil will 'season' the heat-break (like a wok), but that only applies to all-metal hotends, which I don't think you (or I) have.

What is a "brim"?
I brim is a few extra lines of filament drawn around the first layer to increase surface area of the print, and therefore aid adhesion.

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
I should add that oiling filament only applies to PLA and is a highly controversial issue in the 3d printing world. Some tests indicate that it may weaken parts, though I can't say I've noticed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When are you guys going to ditch the tape and stickers and use glass for a print bed?

I will be using a piece of glass just as soon as I can get a piece cut from some large pieces that I have stored away somewhere, but I’m happy to continue to work just as I am for now, there’s no rush... ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I use a bit of Pritt in the print area
I'm guessing that's Irish for "gluestick"? If I run into another trouble print, I may give this a try on top of my tape (I'm trying to keep my factory fresh plate clean ;) )
Is the dust filter to remove dust from the filament before being used
Yup, and I'm experimenting with oil too. Also, a 3rd reason: It helps guide the filament a bit better and keeps it from rubbing on the machine.
When are you guys going to ditch the tape and stickers and use glass for a print bed?
From what I saw, you have to remove the glass and clean it each time you print? I don't like that too much since I can use the same tape at least a handful of times (so far). Maybe I just need to know for sure that glass is really much better and (easier?) to use than tape.
some people like to add a spot of oil
I'll admit that I'm giving that a try with my PLA because one of the guys I think is pretty expert does that... but he could be wrong? He suggested olive oil, so I'm using that (since I had it on hand anyway). I don't know if it's helping or not... I also hope it's not causing any problems to the machine :fl

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm giving that a try with my PLA because one of the guys I think is pretty expert does that... but he could be wrong? He suggested olive oil, so I'm using that (since I had it on hand anyway). I don't know if it's helping or not... I also hope it's not causing any problems to the machine
I used canola oil but olive should be fine (though check the smoke point). I oiled my filament to solve a problem I was having. If you're not having extrusion problems then it's probably not worth bothering with. The only issue I had when first trying it was using a bit too much oil, which resulted in poor first-layer adhesion -- it took me about 5 cold pulls to clean the excess oil from the nozzle. So use very lightly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From what I saw, you have to remove the glass and clean it each time you print?
I got the impression you could use the glass more than once. However, if all you need to do is clean the top surface of the glass with Isopropyl alcohol as the first video show, then a spritz of clear hairspray for extruded filament adhesion then it sounds easy peasy. the guy in the send video replaced with a fresh pane of glass when the first was dirty. It seemed he meant more than one use out of the glass before changing.

My guess it that there are answers to be found on the Monoprice forum.