Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok, I'm diving in! Here's what I just purchased:

Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer
upload_2017-7-24_13-53-28.png

I also got these filament spools:
Melca 1.75 Filament PLA 1kg +/- 0.03mm, Black 1.75mm
TIANSE White PLA 3D Printer Filament, 1 kg Spool, 1.75 mm

There are a TON of 3D printers out there, but here are the main reasons I'm starting with this one:
  1. The price: I mean.... $220?!?!
  2. Reviews: Both on Amazon and all over youtube... people love this machine
  3. Ready-To-Print out of the box!
  4. With so many people owning it, I know I'll have plenty of information online to pull from
  5. ... and the real reason I got it: @The Hat has one! ;)
It should arrive in a few days, so I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
This is the video that I first saw on the printer about 3 months ago:

... there are SO MANY videos on this thing, it's ridiculous!

Two more videos I watched today that convinced me:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Videos are terrific.

The printer is NIFTY!

Congrats!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Nifty, congratulations on your new purchase, whatever spare time you had is now gone, and your wife may end up having to drag you away from it, there far more compulsive than any inkjet...

There are so many items you can make with the printer, like everyday things around the house, you’ll find yourself making all sorts of time saving gadgets.

If you don’t want to design and make your own items starting out then you can download them from lots of different website, but the one area you need to familiarise yourself with is using the Cura App. properly. (10 minutes)

Tips:
One thing you might find handy, how many times have lost or dropped the little tool you need to get the Canon refill ball out of your cartridges, or the drill bit you need it to widen the refill hole hurts you hand, well with a 3D printer you can make little handles for all these tools easily.

Something I found out by accident, the 3D printer is not limited to just one colour output, you can pause your design on the printer and change to a different colour filament any time you want, so yes it can really print in 4 colours...(23 colours available)

Here is just one on the many sites you can visit for free, but there are dozens more.
https://www.youmagine.com/

P.S. if anyone is interested in getting a 3D printer don’t forget to order a roll of PLA filament, like I did in my excitement... :somad

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I also just went through this series of videos on how to setup the printer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN-_rRixFcA&index=1&list=PLo9XAhOiOzEX9BzHid9t6wK1uLz8vkp3F
I like how the guy has the same printer he is unboxing already setup in the corner behind him. Multiple 3D printers - he would do well on this forum!

I sent my woodworking and former machinist 93 yo uncle the video of the woodworking tools. He loved it. His son is a machinist and I can see him making all kinds of things. Thanks.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
There are so many items you can make with the printer
Ya, I've already discovered thingiverse and am worried I'm going to be adding a bunch of stuff to my house that I don't "need"... but since I can print it, I want it! ;)
you can download them from lots of different website
Is there a resource of items already properly setup / sliced for this printer, or do I have to use Cura to properly slice / set things up either way?
Yup, already seen some great videos on this!
don’t forget to order a roll of PLA filament
haha... yup, that's why I got two!! :D
Very cool, didn't know about that one!

Hey @The Hat, I think I'll want to get into designing my own stuff, or at least editing other people's designs. Which software do you suggest for this?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I started with the PLA filament because it’s not necessary to heat the plate/Platform when using it, or leave it set to 30 (Lowest), I also use a Pritt stich or hair spray on the plate to make it nice and tacky, it just helps the raft/underlay to stick better.

You also need to familiarise yourself with a few settings in CURA, make sure its setup for your type of printer, and you also need to adjust the raft thickness that goes under your model and how close to run your filament to get better and stronger models.

I removed the tape that came stuck to the platform after a short while and replaced it with 3D print sticker, which I found to be more durable and longer lasting, but you can use many different types of masking tape.
Capture44.PNG

I have run the hell out of my monoprice printer, day and night, as soon as I design something new it’s on the printer, the printer never stops doing something, when your model is not quite up to spec, you do a quick re-design and its back on the printer again.

The better the quality you make your models the longer it takes to print, some are finished in an hour, others run for 10 to 15 hours depending on their complexity and as far as spare parts are concerted, the printer has the ability to reproduce and make its own plastic parts or you can get them else were, link below.
http://mpselectmini.com/replacements_parts

She’s a very durable beast, but a little lubrication goes a long way, I use a very light grease (1 Part) to (10 Parts) 3 in one oil mixed thoroughly and I use a syringe to apply it to the shafts once a week. (1 minute job)

Here is a newbies video, just starting with his new printer, and guess what he makes, additional parts for the printer, it’s surprising just what you can make with this printer, your only limited by your own imagination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhmGMi77UpM

I recommend everyone should at least think about getting a 3D printer...
P.S. O’ and tell Mikling I also unplug this printer from the wall too...;)