Mixing OEM and Precision Color inks

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
I am the happy owner of a new Canon Pro-100 printer I bought and received a week ago (5/18/2017).

I watched this video by @jtoolman where the says, "...it's the OEM that reacts to ANY third-party inks...".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONucRtdAilc

So, does this mean that after I remove the original Canon OEM cartridges that they all need to be flushed before filling them with ink from Precision Color? I would effectively be throwing away a lot of ink from seven cartridges when the eighth and lowest cartridge indicates it is low?

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The OEM yellow when refilled multiple times with non OEM ink has an issue. It does not behave nicely get diluted and then get flushed away. What it does is that when it gets very diluted it tends to gel. This ends up clogging the inlet filter of the printhead and ink flow cannot get past and this same gel ends up causing a gel network inside the sponge.
Flushing this out is not easily done so to avoid it completely in a safe fashion it is is best to use a cartridge with no OEM ink in it before.
If you try flushing it with water to get rid of it, it ends up nowhere since the water dilutes during the flush and you get instant remains gelling and problems. Can you flush it successfully. Yes, if you use the appropriate cleaners and know what to look for. But the average user will not do this successfully.
Even with ink that claim not to have this problem, I have been able to test them and cause it to occur. So I don't know if the testers knew what to look for or what. It is not easily tested for and hard to detect unless you know and go looking for it but I can incite the same problem. All aftermarket ink pass standard compatibility test with flying colors until......the situation as described above.
Keep in mind that rinsing a printhead with water with OEM yellow ink in it can cause this to occur as well if you do not take care or know of the issue.
When clogging occurs it is not the nozzles but the inlet filter when yellow gello occurs. So cleaning with detergents and windex through the top inlets will cure it.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Only the OEM yellow and the only with PC yellow. Use your OEM yellow cart till fully declared empty. The rest can be topped off ANYTIME directly with PC inks with no reaction.
I hear octoinkjet.co.UK yellow does not react.

Joe

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Only the OEM yellow and the only with PC yellow. Use your OEM yellow cart till fully declared empty. The rest can be topped off ANYTIME directly with PC inks with no reaction.
I hear octoinkjet.co.UK yellow does not react.

Joe
Oh, that's great to hear.

How come Precision Color doesn't sell PiezoFlush? Do I have to buy it from InkJetMall.com? They sell a kit with a syringe but I'm sure it doesn't fit Canon CLI-42 carts since all they deal with is Epson. I guess I'll just buy the 110 ml PiezoFlush:
PiezoFlush Solution, 110ml
SKU# PZFL-110
$24.00
http://shop.inkjetmall.com/PiezoFlush-Solution-110ml.html

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@PalaDolphin, there’s no need to go to the expense of buying PiezoFlush, as you have said its more suited to Epson printers rather than Canon, just go to the local store and get a bottle of window cleaner (Windex), that works ideally...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@PalaDolphin

Agree on not spending the money on PiezoFlush for a Canon dye-based ink printer. Get original Windex with Ammonia D if you are looking for a store bought pre-mixed solution.

Tap water works for flushing cartridges. If you have bad or heavily mineralized water, then use distilled water for all flushing or as a final rinse after tap water flush. Rarely ever a need for special cartridge flushing solutions, although the Yellow cartridge of the CLI-42 may be an exception.

Naptown38

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
What about rubbing alcohol? I always have 70% isopropyl alcohol around which has a good evaporative nature.
I'm not sure that would work. The chemistry of the ink seems to require the ammonia to clean the cartridge satisfactorily. It doesn't have to be Windex brand, the private label window cleaners with ammonia work fine. The smallest bottle you can buy will be more than enough to clean your yellow cartridge

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not sure that would work. The chemistry of the ink seems to require the ammonia to clean the cartridge satisfactorily. It doesn't have to be Windex brand, the private label window cleaners with ammonia work fine. The smallest bottle you can buy will be more than enough to clean your yellow cartridge
Thank you @Naptown38 for that valuable information. I can get window cleaner at the $1 store.