MG5300 reset counter

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Thanks but no - I can't use Boot Camp. I've got the service tool but I can't get it into VirtualBox for some reason, nor can I get to the website. I've got Windows 7 on VB at the moment but I'm now loading a Windows 10 ISO so I can download Firefox, then I might have more luck.

Meanwhile the Canon TS printer has arrived and can't find my wifi network. A quick rummage located a long USB cable it is now working.

Now - on to this service tool!

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
could also see if you can borrow someone's W10 laptop to do the reset, using a guest acct

could also buy a cheapo used one, here in US is one W10 for $43
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115834035199?hash=item1af83f1bff

can keep or resell for similar $

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700, MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: first Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks. I checked your link and sure enough, my apologies, I can use Boot Camp with Ventura. However, I managed to install Windows 10, did get a browser that worked, and have downloaded the tool. Now that I've my Canon TS running, I can have a go at resetting the counter on the MG.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK. I can now access the service tool but am unable to get the MG5350 to access it. The button sequence does not seem to work on the printer. I am assuming the resume button mentioned in the sequence is the OK button on my machine. One suggestion was to turn off the virus checker but that made no difference. When I press the power button and the OK button, it simply powers the machine on. The tool page is working because I can switch modes - it's just not picking up the printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The button sequence does not seem to work on the printer. I am assuming the resume button mentioned in the sequence is the OK button on my machine.

When I press the power button and the OK button, it simply powers the machine on.

I wonder which procedure for entering service mode you use, the one with two presses of the Stop/Resume button from your first post or the procedure from this post with five presses of the Stop/Resume button? The proper procedure is the one with the five presses of the Stop/Resume. the use of the wrong procedure will just turn the printer on in normal operating mode.

The Stop/Resume button is not the OK button, but a button that is marked with an old stop sign: A (probably red) triangle inside a (probably red) circle. If you press a wrong button, the procedure will of course not work.

Here is a YouTube video showing the use of the "five presses of Stop/Resume button". You can slow down the video to make the procedure more clear. Even if you might not speak German the video is still useful, just watch it carefully.

I hope this helps.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that, Peter, and the link to the video. I was indeed pressing the wrong button but with your help and the video I was able to press the correct button - during which exciting things happened.

I tried twice. The first time, st each press of the traffic light button, I got either the power light or the yellow triangular light. On releasing it for the fifth time, the power light stayed on and I had a message on the screen saying that there was a problem and I was to power off and on and if the problem persisted to contact Canon. In fact after powering up the problem disappeared and the printer booted up as usual.

I tried again, with the same result from the lights and this time the power light came on but the screen was blank. When I pressed power, the printed booted up as normal with the same message regarding a full absorption pad on the screen.

I had the tool open and ready but at no time during the above was it usable.

Is it possible that there is another button sequence for the MG5350?

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just to follow that up I tried again and this time the power light stayed on and the screen went blank, which seems to be service more. However, it does not seem to activate the service tool page.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The blank screen and the constantly lit power light means the printer has properly entered service mode. The service mode doesn't start the service tool, you do by opening it. BTW which version is your service tool?

It is important that your Windows installation can communicate with the printer via USB, so can you print from Windows with the printer in normal operating mode? If so the service tool ought to work with the printer in service mode.

If the text in the service tool is greyed out then this means that the printer has not entered service mode or the printer does not communicate with the computer.

There should also be paper in both the cassette and rear paper feed as you cannot predict which paper source the printer will use in service mode. For some operations you can choose the paper source.

If your printer has been locked due to the absorber being 100% full the only possible operation is the reset. After the reset has been performed the printer is unlocked you can now print the Test Print and the EEPROM info pages.

After use close the service tool and turn off the printer. Your printer should now be fully functional again.

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder if the problem is that the printer is connected to both USB and wi fi. I'm trying to find out how to disconnect it from the wi fi but all suggestions require a wi fi button on the printer and my MG5350 does not have this. I assume I can disconnect it via settings on the printer panel but all the instructions are how to connect, not disconnect. I guess I can disconnect it from the LAN settings but I'm not sure how to do that.

The tool I'm using is v3400.