MG5300 reset counter

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Thanks. I downloaded the tool again direct from the Canton website, thanks to a link one of you gave me further up:

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 11.02.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 11.01.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 11.01.27 AM.png

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
But I notice that yours has a tab marked Pro and mine doesn't.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The tools are not the same version. The images uploaded by Artur5 show version 5510 which is much newer and sold on E Bay. Newer printers need newer service tools, but v3400 is perfect for the MG5350.

Your screenshots look like my version 3400 except for a strange watermark in the lower right corner "Activate". The Version 3400 should not need activation, so where did you download it from?

It looks like the service tool does not communicate with the printer. Do you get any error messages?

The service tool attached to this post is OK and doesn't need activation.

I know nothing about Mac but I wonder about the screenshot in post #23, it doesn't look like Windows to me?

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Peter. The screenshot in post 23 was of my Mac's list of networks in Settings-Wi Fi. The screenshots in my last post are from Windows 10 via VirtualBox.

I downloaded the tool from your link in post 2.

You are correct in that the tool is not talking to the printer but I am not receiving any error messages.

Just looked at your previous post citing the Russian download site. I'll open that up in Windows, download it and see what happens.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have just downloaded the service tool from the post by CakeHole and unpacked it. It is perfectly functional. I think you should not download anything from the Russian site, Malwarebytes warns against a Trojan. I have now edited the post.

Click to enlarge:

Malwarebytes Resetters.ru.jpg

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK Peter. Downloading on Windows 10 using VirtualBox on a Mac is worse than watching paint dry. I did get a download with no warnings but I'm not at all sure it's the right one anyway. It still hasn't got the Pro tab. I will try another shorter USB lead. You never know…

I think all of this is telling me that I'd better get my hands dirty and strip the machine…

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tried a shorter USB cable via my wife's Mac mini but despite ensuring printer sharing on both computers, I couldn't get the printer to show on mine while connected to the Mac mini. I'll use the Mac Mini later Ito open the tool via Windows 10 and VirtualBox and see what happens.

Meanwhile, thinking about stripping and changing the absorption pads, I have a feeling that the tool is required during reassembly. I've got the maintenance schedule and I'll have a look later.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I recommend to reset the printer before dismantling it to clean or replace the absorbers. It is quite a messy job and unnecessary if you cannot reset the printer.

For disassembling and reassembling the printer the only tools needed are a Phillips and flat blade screwdriver. The service tool is not needed for reassembly. What is that maintenance schedule, a link please?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
might want to borrow a true W10 machine so to attempt the reset instead of using a MAC emulator. a reset is still needed even after changing the waste pads.

when disassembling, take plenty of pics along the way, they will come in handy

best to listen to PeterBJ's advice, he is the resident "reset expert" on this forum

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700, MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: first Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks. As a stranger in a strange land (Spain), I know of no-one who has a Windows machine. I had a feeling the the tool was necessary. I'll pursue trying to use the tool via VB and Win10 on the Mac Mini with a short USB lead. You never know…