MG5300 reset counter

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
My absorption pad is nearly fully and I intend to replace it. In the meantime, I would like to rest the counter. I have the tool but it won't work on a Mac. does anyone know the press button sequence in order to reset the counter? A search on the web gave me this

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 5.19.13 PM.png

Is this sequence correct?

Many thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure with the button presses for reset only works with printers of the PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge generation and older. You need to use the service tool. I recommend version 3400, but all versions from 2000 and newer can be used. Older versions might have problems with newer Windows versions and 64 bit Windows. That's why I recommend V3400.

The service tools only work with Windows, you cannot use MacOS or Linux. So you will have to borrow a Windows computer for the reset. Even an old Windows XP laptop will do. You might find one for free.

Here is a post with the procedure for resetting the MG5250. the procedure is the same for the very similar MG5350. Here is a post with service tool V3400 attached, in case you don't already have it.

The MG5350 service manual is nowhere to be found, but the MG5350 and the MG5200 are very similar, I think only the scanner lids with the controls are different, so here is a link to an MG5200 series service manual. The German druckerchannel forum has a thread about dismantling an MG5350 with a lot of photos. See post ¤7 in the thread. And here is a Google translation to English.

Good luck with the reset and repair.

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Peter. My MG 5350 does use the CL1 range of cartridges, so can I use the push button sequence? Alas, I have no access to a pc or Windows.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
No, the MG5350 uses the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges, which are 2 generations newer than the PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges so you will need to use the service tool on a Windows computer.

I have seen no reports of running the service tool in Wine or other Windows emulator under MacOS or Linux. Probably the printer should also be installed in Wine if that is possible.

I don't think the service tool will work with Wine but if you give it a try please report your results. They might be useful for Mac and Linux users.

Can you make a dual boot MacOS and Windows on the Mac? Maybe install the OS's on a another hard-disk? You might get an old version Windows for free. Even XP will do. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are also fine. Avoid Windows Vista, It is full of errors and unstable.

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I did have Parallels for a while but it takes a lot of disk space. However, for the purposes of using the service tool I could run a trial version. I have actually got the service tool, so I might have a go.

The reason for resetting the counter is because I've received the 'Absorption pad full' message and I remember that this is based not on the fact that the pad might be full, but on the number of cycles. I thought I could squeeze a bit more from the machine before I take the bull by the horns and dismantle the printer in order to change the pad.

I have got an excellent manual that shows me how to do that (which is where I got the service tool from), but it is. not for the faint-hearted. So I have purchased another Canon printer and, once that is up and running, I can dismantle to my heart's delight!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some say you can get away with resetting the counter just once without cleaning or replacing the absorbers, Others say you risk a nasty ink spill if or when the absorbers overflow and ink starts leaking from the printer.

If you try this it might be a good idea to place the printer in some tray to contain a possible ink spill.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Good thinking, Peter - I'll do that.

Parallels and Windows 11 is downloading as I write this. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
here's a link from the past that shows an ink pad change i did. my MP830 ink pads were at 93%, see link for pics of dissemble of MP830 and pad change of MP830.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-pad-replacement-at-37-000-pages-w-pics.7646/

it was no fun, but got it done. FYI the pads were not all that bad and i decided if i ever hit 93% again i'd roll the dice with just doing a reset and put a plastic tray under.

all my MP830s have died but i am using an MX700, that uses the same PGI5/CLI8 cartridges, easy to reset since both sides are clear.

the MX700 is 15+ years old and going strong, true testament to canon's build quality back then

and yes i am stuck in a time warp here with 4 active refillable printers, MX700, MX870, MP980, PRO100

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700, MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: first Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that, J. My new printer is arriving shortly but I will reset the counter on the MG5350 and keep it standing on a tray, as suggested.

I gave up on Parallels because Microsoft wanted thousands of pounds for their Windows 11. I remembered that I had got VirtualBox tucked away in one of my folders, so I resurrected that and am now trying to work out how to get the tool from the Mac to the VB. Meanwhile, I got a website on the VB via Windows 7 but at the moment it won't download via IE - which, of course, is now redundant. I'll download Firefox and press on.

Now I have to find a corner for my mew Canon!

Thanks for all your help and I'll post when I've managed to reset the counter.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
If you have an older Intel based mac you can create a Dual boot using Bootcamp and run Win10 for free. It's worth a try and while I don't know if it will pick up the drivers for your printer it did for my Maxify and Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2.