MG5300 reset counter

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Manual attached Peter - I owe you a favour. This is for the MG5200 but is so similar I'm sure it can her used for the 5350.

I note that the service tool is not necessary so I think I'll have a go and, yes, thanks, I will reset the printer before dismantling.

Attachments

• Canon_mg5200-sm.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 112

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yep - still at it!

I'm trying to work from the Mac mini with a short USB Cale. I've downloaded VirtualBox and installed Win 7 but the built-in browser is out-of-date and because Win 7 is so old, I can't get an up-to-date browser. So I've decided to instal Win 10 on VirtualBox. All went well, I downloaded the iso but now I'm transferring it from my Mac to the Mac mini. For some reason, although it did start to transfer OK and seems to be continuing to do so, the transfer time is continually increasing. I've disabled Spotlight and shut down all apps on my Mac but it is still increasing.

Any ideas as to how I can increase the transfer speed?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
When I downloaded the ISO file I just copied it onto a memory stick and popped it into the other machine.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK - last call.

Got Windows 10 running really well on VirtualBox.
Use Microsoft Edge to download the Canon tool v3400 from the Canon site.
Connected the MG5350 to the Mac mini with a short USB cable.
Turned off my iMac.
Turned off printer sharing on the printer and in sharing prefs.
Unplugged my other two printers.
Set the MG5350 to service mode via the traffic light button.
Opened up the v3400 to the correct page.
Nothing.

One last thought. Would doing a factory reset on the MG5350 make any difference?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One last thought. Would doing a factory reset on the MG5350 make any difference?
Two issues… One you must allow the O/S to see the printer first, then place the printer into service mode without turning anything off..

Two if you do that and you still can’t get the Service Tool to recognise the printer, then the printer is NOT in service mode, the service tool will only talk to the printer when in service mode..

Retrace your steps and try again.. or call it a day..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Have you installed the MG5350 on the virtual Windows 10 machine? Else install the driver from this site (not the XPS driver).

I guess you know the procedure, but else: run the downloaded file without the printer connected to the computer. Do not connect the printer until told to do so. When the install is almost complete you are asked to chose how you will connect the printer. Select USB and when asked for connect the USB printer cable and turn on the printer. After a few seconds the computer should find the printer and the install should be completed. Verify the install by printing for instance the "Windows Printer Test Page" or a nozzle check from the printer driver.

Now turn off the printer and turn it on again in service mode and open the service tool. Service mode operations should now work.

This is what I would do with a Windows computer, I know nothing about Macs and the virtual Windows computer might behave differently.

Any comments from Mac users?

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that, Peter. The printer is of course installed via the Mac and maybe that is another reason why it's not talking to the service tool. I'll try The Hat's suggestion first, because he is correct in that I had the procedure the wrong way around. But if that doesn't work, I'll try installing the printer via Windows. It is running really well via VirtualBox, so should be OK if I follow your procedure.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I still suspect that the problem resides on the software tool that you downloaded from Canon. It seems hard to believe that they would allow the users to get for free a software that resets the waste inkpad counters and performs other operations normally restricted to their technicians. Believe me, that’s not like Canon at all..:rolleyes:

If everything else fails, as a last resource, you could gamble a few bucks purchasing a genuine soft. tool on Ebay.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks. Unfortunately I do not seem to have any way of verifying the Canon or any other reset Software that I have downloaded and some folk here have warned me regarding bogus software from eBay,

Today, I will first follow The Hat's suggestion, since I have been following the instructions in the wrong order. Then, if that doesn't work, I plan to factory rest the printer, uninstall it completely, unplug it and let it rest for a few hours, then follow Peter's suggestion of reinstalling via Win 10. We shall see. Our family motto is 'We must hope'!