Little striping problem with Canon Pixma MP760

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm sorry you're still having this problem and I'm really sorry that new OEM cartridges didn't fix it; I had thought that it was solved.

I think you need to do an extended nozzle check to make sure all your nozzles are working. I recommend doing it on a photo paper to more easily see each grid line. Let us know how it comes out.

Assuming that it is perfect, I would next concentrate on doing the color bar test from post #19. You indicated in post #42 that different colors had different degrees of banding and that some of them had none. This would indicate that the problem is not caused by wear on the print head rails because that would affect all colors identically. It appears that your major problem is with the yellow nozzles. Can you make a page of solid yellow and print it in the different qualities and paper types to find the combination that produces the worst banding? That will allow us to see the result of any fix we try more easily.

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello. Don't be sorry please. Thanks for your help. Here is the extended nozzle check.

4169_100314_ext_nozzle.jpg

I noticed black grid is not perfect. Here it is :

4169_100314_ext_nozzle_crop.jpg

I'm waiting for you advice until I proceed with other tests described in previous post.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That black grid pattern is for the pigment black ink which is only used on plain paper so it has no bearing on the problem we have been concerned with in this thread. Since the standard nozzle check also prints a similar grid pattern for the pigment black, you can use that a lot more conveniently to check the pigment black nozzles and earlier you posted a standard nozzle check and it showed no problem. Just to be on the safe side, do several more standard nozzle checks and see if they show any more problem.

Back to your color (dye) ink nozzles--it's not possible to see the details in your upload so the question is: are they complete without any missing segments? I presume so, since you only pointed out a problem in your pigment black nozzles.

You can continue on with the rest of the tests. First print the color bars on plain and photo paper and then print a page of solid yellow on different papers.

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
print a page of solid yellow on different papers.
Do you mean several full pages full of yellow ? If yes, is that necessary to use so much ink ?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You only have to print as much as necessary to find a paper/quality that produces the banding problem. We need to find a condition of brokeness that we can attempt to fix.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
vilrockerdefer said:
I tried nozzle alignment (auto) and print head cleaning but with no success.
Do a manual alignment instead. Auto alignment does not align between groups of nozzles (CMYK groups). Rather it aligns between print head and the carriage mechanism only. Each time a print head is removed and reinstalled this needs an alignment. Such alignment does nothing to align between the groups of nozzles. You seem to have an alignment problem among groups of nozzles.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
He's saying that the auto alignment and print head cleaning haven't solved his banding problem--not that he couldn't do an auto alignment.

The purpose of an alignment is to make sure that the cyan and magenta nozzles that are used in one direction can overlay the cyan and magenta nozzles that are used in the other direction. See this post and the ones surrounding it for a detailed examination of this process.

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ghwellsjr : I think Tin Ho understood that I was successfull running auto alignment, because he says auto alignment doesn't work well even when it is performed successfully, as opposed to manual alignment.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you tried an auto alignment and a manual alignment to confirm that they actually do something different?

Have you read and do you understand the link I provided?

Do you believe that alignment (manual or automatic) is related to your banding problem?