Is clogging an issue changing from pigment to dye based ink?

transworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
So beyond B&W which grays are used for, they are also used to advantage in color printing. Don't ask me to explain because if I knew the answer, the engineer would not have struggled with it. It's beyond my pay grade.
Sooo... you really don't know.

We would have seen advertisements, reviews and discussions about this new technological advance to improve color renditions by mixing grey ink to the primary color base. If Epson had this idea in 2003-2004 does it mean Canon has been ignorant for this many years until now to adapt it into mp980 and mp990? Seriously, there should have been a wave of street talks about this innovation of the late from Canon. Does Epson offer any dye ink printer with a grey ink? How about HP?

Seriously, let's find out if this is something we all missed. Where is the beef?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'll just choose to ignore the request.

I can tell you that I know but you won't be able to understand. Would that sound good?

It is obvious that you are not very familiar with high performance printers. Canon Epson and HP also offers high end printers with grey inks as well. Dye ink printers are generally low end.

Did I not say this is the most advanced dye ink printer at this time?. it's an oddity to be able to use grey ink on dye printers. If it was not the most advanced, then the others would have it too. Get it? The herd is never the leading edge. Understand that. If you always seek confirmation by the masses, then you will always be late to the game.

It's like Columbus discovering the world is not flat and everyone said, if it was not then we would hear about it from the masses and according to what other sailor says it must be flat. But they never went as far as Columbus Got it? Probably not.

Just go buy two printers one with and without , do the work I have done and then you'd be entitled to critically comment. Sound fair?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
transworld said:
ghwellsjr said:
The question is: does the MP980/990 use grey ink for color printing? You need to make some cleaining cartridges of each color except grey and put them in your printer and print something in color and see if any grey is printed.
You are right on the money. Truly great idea. Make sure the picture does not include any grey tone or the test will lead to a false conclusion.
The issue is: does the printer use grey ink while printing in color mode? The contention is that it only uses the grey ink in greyscale mode and if you only print in color mode, even black and white images, the printer will not use up the grey ink except for nozzle checks and cleanings and so therefore is wasted baggage. It's an easy question to resolve. Somebody just has to do it.

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
In post #51, this thread.....in reply to Mikling.....

transworld said:
Pls keep the debate from overheating. It's a good one and don't take it personally on either side. Transworld, pls don't add fuel to a hot debate. Your input helps nobody.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, after using an hp C4180 for about 6 years, I know that the Canon MP990 will be a real step up and one that is good enough for my needs for now and a good time in the future. We only have so many bands of color available on this planet and once we max out our capabilities with what we have to work with.....that's it, right? I've enjoyed the discussions on the color quality issues of the MP990/980 (grey ink advantage/grey ink non-advantage, etc.), and being an artist, I feel that grey ink could be a real advantage in the development of black and white photos/print since much of my printing will involve these, and as far as color is concerned, from my personal experience, you can't make a REALLY dark color without black, or a muted color without grey, so, I'm thrilled to have this capability.

transworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
The issue is: does the printer use grey ink while printing in color mode? The contention is that it only uses the grey ink in greyscale mode and if you only print in color mode, even black and white images, the printer will not use up the grey ink except for nozzle checks and cleanings and so therefore is wasted baggage. It's an easy question to resolve. Somebody just has to do it.
Actually my question is if the grey ink helps color accuracy or color balance which was challenged in earlier posts. If the test finds no use of grey ink in color mode the answer is obvious. However, if the grey ink is used but used in printing only grey shapes, like the black ink used only in printing dark shapes, it does not prove that the grey ink makes the printer an advanced printer for color printing,

A CMYK printer is better than a CMY printer, but in dark shapes. Color wise there is little or no difference.
A CMYKGy printer should be a better printer than CMYK printer, but only in grey shapes not in color accuracy or color balance.

Had Canon engineers emphasized the color performance like they did on the black and white mode for mp980 I probably would have said I got the answer. It should be a common interest to find the fact.

transworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
slocumeddie said:
In post #51, this thread.....in reply to Mikling.....

transworld said:
Pls keep the debate from overheating. It's a good one and don't take it personally on either side. Transworld, pls don't add fuel to a hot debate. Your input helps nobody.
How old are you?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado as far as color is concerned, from my personal experience, you can't make a REALLY dark color without black,
or a muted color without grey, so, I'm thrilled to have this capability.
transworldA CMYK printer is better than a CMY printer, but in dark shapes. Color wise there is little or no difference.
A CMYKGy printer should be a better printer than CMYK printer, but only in grey shapes not in color accuracy or color balance.
You guys are just making assumptions about something you dont clearly understand at all.

The make-up of colour combinations is an extremely hard thing to understand and some people actually
admit to not understand it fully (including myself), so why then do you guys think that it is easy.

Below is a colour check done on a three colour printer not four so examine it closely
and then maybe you might rethink your earlier statements and not assume the obvious..:rant

5128_untitled-1.png

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Inkjet printer expert I'm not, but on color mixing, I DO know something about that. I stand by my earlier statement so whether you are using pencil wax, watercolors, oils, chalks, paint in a hardware store, or inks, you CANNOT make a dark color without black, and you cannot take an intense color and change it to a less intense color (say, bright red and move to a more greyed tone of red) without some form of grey. Period. And, I actually don't care how the printer manages to do it, i.e.; what size the droplets are, when it drops it out, where it drops it out, or how it drops it out, etc. I'm just glad to have the technology.....and to do a cheap refill when I need to.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
inkadinkado said:
I'm just glad to have the technology...
But the question is: does the MP980/990 use this technology in color mode printing? Everybody agrees that these printers use the grey ink when you specify greyscale printing but not everyone is convinced that the grey ink is used if you don't specify greyscale printing. It's a simple issue to resolve. Just do a test. All you have to do is make a set of cleaning cartridges for all the dye ink cartridges except grey. Make sure they print like invisible ink and then print some pictures on different paper types without specifying greyscale and see if any grey appears in the printouts. The results of this test will put to rest the arguments of those who are not yet convinced that the grey ink is used in color mode printing.