Is clogging an issue changing from pigment to dye based ink?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, the Canon printer has to be better technology than my old hp C4180 of about 6 years of age. And, that improved technology will be an anxiously awaited experience for me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Come on mikling You have being caught out big time.
You are actually selling your inks and making profit from it.:ep
This must be a new idea making profit sellings good to everybody, did you ever hear the like of it before.:lol:

transworld

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
inkadinkado said:
Yes, mixing all colors will make a dark grey/brown, but NEVER a rich black
I used to have a Canon i560 that used only CMY ink for color printing. It was able to print black just as dark as what black should look like. I do agree with you that CMYK makes a difference because of the presence of K. But when you compare a CMY and a CMYK prints You are not just comparing the difference due to the extra K on one end. Usually CMY printers are low end. The built in quality/performance level of a low end printer will tip off the balance in the comparison. It is impossible to find the actual difference independent of other variables other than the K ink. Let's take an easier to understand example to compare two hats. One is worn by a pretty model and the other by a mannequin (make it ugly too). It would be pretty hard to be objective in the comparison.

Keep in mind that mp980/990 has a high nozzle numbers. When comparing CMYK and CMYKGy prints by mp980/990 the comparison may be affected by the hardware/firmware differences too. It is difficult to say the difference is only caused by the presence of Gy ink on one end of the balance. We should be able to quickly conclude that the mp980/990 are good and likely very good or better. The question is if it is mainly because of the presence of the grey ink as the ink seller suggested.

I assume that it is all we consumer's best interest to find out if by adding a grey ink it is only for adding the black and white capability as said by Canon or it is jst a hype by ink sellers that it is a generation or two of technological advance and we must have the printer for better quality color photos. There was an overheated debate not too long ago that an ink seller on this board suggested that any Canon CMYK printer could print color photos just as high quality as pro9000 could. Now we are told that by adding a grey ink our beloved CMYK printers are model T now. I don't want to point my finger to any names. I just want the truth. Keep in mind Canon did not give a hype of mp980/990's unique capability in color mode due to the grey ink which is already pointed out.

Some may say we don't need to care if the grey ink is truly a vital ingredient for the mp980/mp990's superior capability in printing colors. Only the superior quality of colors matter. Keep in mind that Canon rolled out mp960/mp970 not long before the mp980/mp990. Mp960/970 do not use a grey ink. They are hyped by Canon to be superior color printers. This seems doesn't make any sense for Canon to continue advertising for mp960 and 970.

One last point. The reason we are enjoying low price for mp980 is because they are refurbished. They probably have a lot of returns which were refurbished and sold again with a discount. There are a lot of pro9000s on discounted prices too. But I have not seen a single refurbished one yet. What does this tell us?