Is clogging an issue changing from pigment to dye based ink?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Being new to all this, I do have some questions about ink. I just purchased a MP990 Canon all-in-one printer and have no idea which type of ink it uses or which type of ink I should purchase to refill the carts. Does it come with pigmented inks or dye based? And, when I purchase refill ink which do I purchase; pigment or dye based? I've read that there are clog problems when mixing the two. Is this true? I've been printing for years paying those exhorbitant prices for ink, but have never had a clog problem so I don't want to start that when I do my refills.

BTW, I do have an older HP C4180 all-in-one printer and bought an Inktec refill kit and have now done two refills. Yeah!!! The kit works great and the pictures look really good, but I have no idea if the inks are compatible with my machine. Do you know if HP uses pigmented inks and is the Inktec inks dye based or pigment? I guess I'm afraid of clogs with my HP.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
If the Inktec refill kit is for your cartridge then you don't have to worry about ink compatibility. The tricolour cartridge is filled with dye based ink(C,M,Y) and the black cartridge with pigmented ink(K).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado Does it come with pigmented inks or dye based?
Your printer has both dye and pigment inks on board.
If you intend to refill you should make sure that you know which is which first.
The large (Fat) PGI-BK cartridge is pigment ink and the regular size CLI-BK is dye ink
the other 3 inks cyan, magenta, and yellow are dye also.

As you dont have your location in your signature its impossible to say where to go to get
the best quality inks so dont be swayed by cheap alternatives and
only refill the OEM cartridges, never refill compatibles (thats clog city). :(

Tudor was right to mention that if the refill is for HP cartridges then all's well..:)

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Don't forget the gray :cool: . Bulk ink is available for the mp990 in a set of 6, pgblk, b,c,m,y,gray. Depending on your location may determine who you get your supplies from, just get the good stuff:)

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm just up on this model because I just ordered one from Canon refurbished :ya .

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
guyg said:
I'm just up on this model because I just ordered one from Canon refurbished :ya .
Can you provide the link to where you bought it and the price?

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That's the same price that people were buying the printer until May 24 last week with a coupon. Pity the poor people that bought one for $89.99 between then and when Canon lowered the price recently.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
guyg
I'm in the Dallas area and I was wondering where you are buying your inks for your MP990?
Am I understanding correctly for the MP990: the large black cartridge is pigment ink, and the smaller black, gray, yellow, magenta, & cyan are die based?
If I am only to refill OEM carts can these be purchased empty?
Thanks to guyg and all who can help.