Is clogging an issue changing from pigment to dye based ink?

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
"For the advanced amateur ready to take their hobby to the next level"

Many are not ready.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would think in an inkjet printer, since all the past printers have had only black & color ink cartridges, that they do not have to have a grey ink cartridge because a small spray of black will make grey as it mixes with the white of the paper. It has in the past, it could now. However, I would think that with the added grey cartridge a more interesting level of grey value would be added to printouts. I honestly don't care how the printer acomplishes this, but it does seem like a better option to have the grey cartridge than not to have it. Try doing any artwork without a grey color to use. Oh, you can do it because in art we have white colors to use, but without the white color there would be a very different result and not one I would prefer. In inks we have no white ink to use to make grey. The ink makers of grey ink must have come up with something white to mix into the black to make grey or some sort of filler to diffuse the black. Either way grey is good.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado I would think in an inkjet printer, since all the past printers have had only black & color ink cartridges that they do not have to have a grey ink cartridge because a small spray of black will make grey as it mixes with the white of the paper.
The ink makers of grey ink must have come up with something white to mix into the black to make grey or some sort of filler to diffuse the black.
You may be using just black and white together to get grey but the ink makers that you referred to dont,
they in fact use colours and no black, their inks are transparent and not opaque..
:idunno

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am one who are not convinced, especially Canon does not make a huge marketing noise about the QUOTE Outstanding Color Balance End Quote capability. Why would people dance with an ink seller who made an an unheard of claim about it? I don't think there will be a rational discussion on this matter from continuing this thread. It's time to move on to a different forum seeking for an answer, regardless what the answer may be.

Mikling, it is unfortunate that I never heard a reply on the question I raised about "color balance" you claimed. I have to assume there will be no answer from you.

Thanks to everyone's response. I may consider to get a MP980 or MP990 myself if I come across one to do the test ghwellsjr suggested. It is the only rational input to this thread so far that will reveal the fact for me. Thanks ghwellsjr.

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
I don't think there will be a rational discussion on this matter from continuing this thread. It's time to move on to a different forum seeking for an answer, regardless what the answer may be.
Whatever the answer may be, it is clear from your posts that you will not likely accept it !

Bon Voyage :frow

(Why would people dance with an ink seller ?) :idunno

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may be using just black and white together to get grey but the ink makers that you referred to dont,
they in fact use colours and no black, their inks are transparent and not opaque..
Yes, mixing all colors will make a dark grey/brown, but NEVER a rich black I don't care how transparent the colors are, this is why printer makers make a black cartridge and why printing presses use black ink as well. In the CMYK model if you had to make black (or a gunky/murky blackish brown tone) by mixing the CMY colors you would never get the rich blacks needed for stunning printer output. Black is definitely used to make dark colors.

Check out Wikipedia for an explanation of color mixing and why printers use black ink added to CMY colors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Mikling,

In perusing your ebay store, I noticed that you have a 12 oz/ five color inkset(4 oz pigment black and 2 oz each of black, cyan, magenta, and yellow), which you sell for $18.88 USD.

Also, while at the ebay store, I noticed that you have a 14 oz/ six color inkset(4 oz pigment black and 2 oz each of black, cyan, magenta, yellow, and gray), which you sell for $22.88 USD.

It has now become perfectly clear to me that you have been misleading, dare I say defrauding the other members of this forum, in your shameless and craven promotion of the Canon MP980/990 as an advanced color printer.

The depth of your heartless greed apparently has NO bounds. I have lost all respect for you as a business owner, nay even as a human being.

The anguish you have caused can never be measured, can never be forgotten. Oh....the humanity !

And all for a lousy $4.00 (USD)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am so profusely rich that I now eschew new autos and prefer to drive near antique automobiles for only real connoisseurs dating back to the early 90s. Since this post, my bank account has swollen so much that my bank called me and said they must remove the cash as there is no more room for it.

Well, it disheartens me to rid myself of these printers so that I can make room for the money that the bank refuses to store for me. When that space is used, then I can begin a quest to ask others to store the wealth for me. Who will volunteer? I beg I beg.

Oh what to do!!!! Life cannot be so cruel.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado
Yes, mixing all colors will make a dark grey/brown,
but NEVER a rich black I don't care how transparent the colors are
I for one would not question your artistic ability whatsoever but we're not discussing art here.

What is today may not be tomorrow, for 100,000 years the world was said to be flat and now its round that was some whopper,
but it was once true believed by all without question.
Now if you can believe that why cant you believe in the little inkjet printer.

The article on Wikipedia on process printing is leagues away from inkjet printing technology its not even in the same ball park.
Its quite a challenge to get your head around the way that these new printers work.

I am a Master printer 47 years (retired) colour printing is in my blood and I find it hard to come to grips with all that is new in print technology,
I know it works, I can see that but theres still a lot that eludes me.

I actually taught by posting this colour swatch that showed, black was not compulsory
in the makeup of colours in an inkjet that it just might convince the sceptics, obviously not.

The colours below are all made up with C, M, Y and its not a trick the iX4000 only uses these three colours for process work
it does however have pigment black on board but does not use it in either colour or black & white Photos..

Happy Printing..:)