iproGraph pro-1000 vs PRO-10S vs 9500 MK2 speed and comparison

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
In the case I will need to change the 9500 MK2 for another printer, given that the 9500 MK2 is very slow, how are the speed of the PRO-10S and PRO-1000 in comparison ?

On the 9500 MK2 a print of an A3 medium coverage at 4800dpi (high 2 setting) takes around 5-6 min per print, while a 9600dpi (high 1 setting) one takes around 10-15 minutes.

I was drooling over the PRO-1000 since some time, getting one for a decent used price could be nice.

Also, in comparison I was taking into consideration the PRO-1000 because of the following benefits:

- A2 sheet printing
- better tray with the air sucking pumps
- waste ink changeable separately (so no need of a printer potty if I understood correctly)
- no malus on using the ink monitor function disabled, no extra cleanup on refills so that you can just open the cart slot, check the weight before a big batch of work and decide if there's the need for refilling
- 80 ml carts meaning lot of prints before needing of refills
- an estimate of printer life very long, I think that this printer is designed to do likely 2-4 times the number of prints that a 9500 MK2 or 100S could do before dying being also in a plotter line from the bigger models
- have a printhead derived from the bigger brothers, should be the same of 2100 and 4100 models, this sums up to the previous statement expecting a longer life

The 100S advantages are that it could be cheaper, probably around 1/2 or 1/3 of the PRO-1000 investment.

If I get a PRO-1000, there are particular manteinance that I have to take in mind? I would like to use it with compatible inks obviously.

There are bonus and malus that I didn't consider between this 2 models? If you like please write your opinion, thanks 👍

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
On paper the PRO-1000 looks more interesting than the PRO-10 and the PRO-300 (you should compare with), but you can benefit only when you print a lot (and larger than 4x6 inch, the printer is known to do a small cleaning before every print).
It is a sophisticated printer allowing less tampering than the 9500 you are used too (and in this case it flushes half of your ink away and you can do nothing to stop it). I would never buy it used (since until recently you could get a new one for the price of the printhead and the ink).

A printhead change on a PRO-10 costs you 10ml and swapping carts about 4.

I suppose you live in the US and you can buy Precision Colors ink to refill (only 8 of the 12, 4 are OEM), since you need to have it right the first time.
Topping up without cleanup penalty is a bonus, but I wonder why only recently it's been told there is no penalty on disabling ink monitoring (and why one-time chips cost $12).

When I print 4 years with a second hand 9500 before it is half full, the PRO-1000 is overkill.
And I guess I print more than the average photo amateur since my ink and paper cost less.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
On paper the PRO-1000 looks more interesting than the PRO-10 and the PRO-300 (you should compare with)
Not considering the 300 one because of the price. Would go for an used pro 10S as alternative.

but you can benefit only when you print a lot (and larger than 4x6 inch, the printer is known to do a small cleaning before every print).
This is not a problem, I print mainly A3 and sometimes A4, never do 4x6 (10x15 cm), have some packs of 4x6 gifted with older hp cartridges, still packaged never used.

It is a sophisticated printer allowing less tampering than the 9500 you are used too (and in this case it flushes half of your ink away and you can do nothing to stop it).
What do you mean for tampering? I do know that the printer if raised force the "moving procedure" that throw away lot of ink. But if you have to move the printer I suppose you will do it without having it turned on, so that the gyroscope doesn't trigger in.

I would never buy it used (since until recently you could get a new one for the price of the printhead and the ink).

A printhead change on a PRO-10 costs you 10ml and swapping carts about 4.

I suppose you live in the US and you can buy Precision Colors ink to refill (only 8 of the 12, 4 are OEM), since you need to have it right the first time.

Nope, I'm in Europe. While I do know and respect the precision color inks my interest is not gamut, I would go for the Inktek sets in liters so even if the printer would waste a bit more would not be a big deal. Inktek with custom profiling is ok for me.

For the price I'm aiming at 350 € ones. Original new price here is way higher ~1000 € I would never return back the investment getting a new one and using original inks.

Topping up without cleanup penalty is a bonus, but I wonder why only recently it's been told there is no penalty on disabling ink monitoring (and why one-time chips cost $12).
Maybe they updated the firmware?

When I print 4 years with a second hand 9500 before it is half full, the PRO-1000 is overkill.
And I guess I print more than the average photo amateur since my ink and paper cost less.
Same, I do not print on fine art paper nor using 5 star inks, using a decent medium high quality paper and good quality inks.

I heard this printer is hungry of printing. I guess I can put lot of stuff to print in it. But even in worst case scenario a nozzle check every 2-3 days should work no?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
never do 4x6 (10x15 cm), have some packs of 4x6 gifted with older hp cartridges, still packaged never used.
HP Advanced paper, not bad at all.
Recently bought again 1000 for €20 to keep my printer busy, good gloss even on the 9500 without CO.
Maybe they updated the firmware?
Canon won't do you that favor...
I would go for the Inktek sets in liters
No experience, but most 3th party pigment inks I tried had other defaults than only lower gamut (adherence on glossy paper, ink feed). The only CO coming near to OEM is from Precision Colors, and even that one Mike doesn't sell for the PRO-1000. But maybe you only print matte.

€50/l is not much, I am curious to know how it performs.

Personally I did not search 80% of the quality for 20% of the cost, but 90% for 30%.

Good luck !

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The aspects of disabling only comes after doing tests and with limited resources and time, that only comes with time. There is NO conspiracy here. Do remember that overriding the chip entails a larger penalty than a Pro-100/10 printhead. The printhead on a Pro-1000 is several times that of the normal desktop printhead. Why? -- same printhead as in the Pro2000 up to the Pro-6000! Identical. As long as you remember to check the levels, you are safe make a mistake and you could be sorry. Overriding is simply not recommended for some users. Period. It is a risky thing to tout.......as it all depends on the individual. ( And then there is the fact that despite all the work and care that goes into creating the Pro-10 inkset, End results depend on the user...like some that refill the incorrect ink color into a tank and then say that the inkseT "sucks" and broadcast that on the internet. The end user can't even place the correct ink into a corresponding tank and then blames the product!)

Anyone can purchase the CO from the Pro-10 and put it in the Pro-1000. However do keep this in mind. When the Pro-1000 was introduced, it was clearly a specialty printer for those seeking the finest IQ that was possible on a desktop. With that in mind, users acquiring the Pro1000 even if refilling, would want to retain that aspect of IQ as much as possible and if they decide that a gloss print was desired, they would want as good as it gets. Initially I thought that the CO from the Pro-10 would suffice but then my critical review of the situation made me change the recommendation. ( In fact at the intial offering of the inkset for the intial period, the Pro-10 gloss was offered but when I started looking at the output, I was seeing too much difference( For my own tase) so I deferred back to the OEM) Again, given that a purchaser of the Pro-1000 would have experience and be critical of IQ. I thought it warranted the extra cost to mitigate gloss differential as much as possible to retain the 1000 capability in that area. Purchasers of Pro-1000 would want the little extra....I would have thought.
As it turns out, the Pro-1000 might be the pinnacle of refillable printers and could become a legend if the future printers are locked down tight.
The extra consumption of ink is not a huge issue if there is a maintenance tank and there is one, and if one is refilling, then that extra consumption is not a huge issue either because the extra cost is modest relative to the satisfaction of using a state of the art printer.
I have been also doing some further work to make this the refilling nerd's printer. Mail deliveries lost some parts and components so that is delayed but work continues .... and it is in the area of electronics.

A further word of warning in general...as an aside. The ability to disable is not always guaranteed in the future with Canons. If Epson, is successful with their tight lockdowns, the Canon can easily follow suit as they have tended to trail Epson's practices. Overidding the chip allows the user to completely drain the tanks as much as possible and use all ink purchased. Canon can easily design printer/chips that allow 50% more use for an override and then completely kill the OEM chip. I will not bet that this won't happen one day. All eyes are on how Epson fares in the next period.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@mikling: as you explain the PRO-1000 is now a better refill candidate than the PRO-300 (and a better deal, time of the cheap PRO-10's has gone in the US - we see this different in Europe).

@user5800: 12 liter of ink is a huge quantity (even with 50% loss for cleaning 1500 A2's).
Instead of spending € 650 on 12l Inktec I would buy a smaller volume of higher quality.
You can't change a 14ml cart on the printhead when it disappoints (as many refill inks do, believe me).
I hope you can find a low page used PRO-1000.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
If canon do so, there's high possibility that the Europe will intervent. In Europe is maturing seriously a green minded culture, we are sick of vendors lock ins, closed things that forces you to waste stuff and so on.

They are considering to force the vendors to even increase the years of warranty, forcing phone producers to allow back battery swapping and also allowing by law the possibility to use 3d party inks in order to allow more competition.

Also in Europe EULAs that enforce how you have use a software or product are 100% not valid.

If vendors will want to continue with certain strategies they could say bye to the biggest market of earth.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The ecotank and tank printers are issued in EU for a reason then then the high end could be a different game.
You know the automobile makers in Germany are not exactly the friendliest corps when it come to third party support and repairs as opposed to NA and japanese auto makers. So one wonder about the green aspect of EU, is it for real?

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
The ecotank and tank printers are issued in EU for a reason then then the high end could be a different game.
You know the automobile makers in Germany are not exactly the friendliest corps when it come to third party support and repairs as opposed to NA and japanese auto makers. So one wonder about the green aspect of EU, is it for real?

Printers could probably be seen as car in future, you can get various brands of fuel.

Heh can't speak for Germany, don't want to open another topic see also the mess happened with the Diesel stuff...

@user5800: 12 liter of ink is a huge quantity (even with 50% loss for cleaning 1500 A2's).
Instead of spending € 650 on 12l Inktec I would buy a smaller volume of higher quality.
You can't change a 14ml cart on the printhead when it disappoints (as many refill inks do, believe me).
I hope you can find a low page used PRO-1000.

Well I was not considering to buy 12 L of inktek, maybe a bit less however.. well you are saying of spending 30% in order to obtain 90% of quality. What other ink suggestions I can get being in Europe comparable in price or little costly than InkTek, octoink ?

Also CO is a particular topic, for now I never tested the inktek CO, maybe is ok, maybe sucks, probably the last resource could be harvest it from 700ml OEM plotter cartridges.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I still drive a "Dieselgate" Volkswagen and refused the software update (as 30% of the owners). According to independent tests it did not lower the emission significantly, increased the consumption and reduced the life of the car (same as with printers ;)).
Lucky I have a good independent repair shop (the guy knows much more about VAG cars than the average dealer).