Inkjet Printhead Cleaning Method

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
AlienSteve said:
Yes, this is a good method to clean HP print heads. Works to empty them, too, if you leave it there too long. ;')

Patience is definitely a virtue when cleaning any print heads.
Good point.. thankfully this a K550 so the printhead doesn't actually contain a huge amount of ink :)

It's strange how different our countries are when it comes to finding "common" chemicals. Any grocery store or drugstore or dollar store here carries ammonia, the tricky part is finding nonsudsing clear unscented ammonia.
It's a health thing... In truth though, since I started looking the things I've learned about ammonia make my hair curl. I'm not overly surprised it's not widely available.

AlienSteve

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3000CP Epson 1280 4800 7600
websnail said:
It's a health thing... In truth though, since I started looking the things I've learned about ammonia make my hair curl. I'm not overly surprised it's not widely available.
Another reason why I 1. use only very dilute ammonia and 2. use a container with a very small mouth that I keep shut when not drawing cleaning fluid out.

sandenscot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, how about this one....same problem Magenta not printing.....just had to tell you guys....when I deep cleaned the magenta would print well...then not after a day....finally, under warrantly took it to a dealer for fixing...they replaced the print head and purge unit..showed me the nozzle check...which all the colors printed well....now I get it home, try a nozzle check print.....NO MAGENTA....this is like the twilight zone.....what else could it be...although now I cannot check it again because it shows the cover 1 open...which is closed..any ideas about the cover????

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
sandenscot, are you using third party cartridges?

sandenscot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
yes, I am using Carrot...recommended by consumer reports as the only decent non oem cartridge...you think that is the issue?.........took it back to the repair shop and they are now replacing the circuit board, or something....

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Consumers didn't evaluate any of the aftermarket inks that anyone I know uses. As I recall, their suggestion about Carrot carts was kind of a back-handed recommendation as they said none were as good as Canon OEM. They completely avoided the refilling issue. This is an area where I don't agree with either the PC magazines or Consumers as their choice of products was very limited.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

sandenscot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
if the issues are refilling...I am buying NEW carrot cartridges each time...perhaps I should look into filling...but that is really not the original issue...problem with magenta printing..even after having a new print head and new purger...very strange

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
sandenscot -- STOP USING 3RD PARTY CARTRIDGES!

There have been too many postings in these forum that prove their inferiority compared to original Canon cartridges. 3rd party cartridges can cause problems from a mild clog & ink mess to nozzle burnout. Their defects have been recorded in this forum not only by user experience but also by design analysis.

This is no longer a matter of opinion. I believe it is high time that a sticky posting is made that explains that the safest route to low cost inkjet printing is ORIGINAL CANON CARTRIDGES refilled with ink from a verified vendor.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I totally agree with the assessment by panos to use only OEM cartridges. You can find them very cheap on eBay.