I am having this built for Video and Image editing. Overkill?

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Wow Joe,

Your topic is great timing as i am upgrading my machine this coming year......won't be as Kickazz as yours by far, but you posting has made the choices for me a lot easier.
Mucho Graziazz.....:thumbsup

-mike

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Joe I now use a Corsair 1000 watt with my GTX980 (It was Cooler Master 1100 watt) and have removed two case fans and a water radiator because it now runs that much cooler (60c), I used to use two GTX 480’s on Sly that ran at 85c.

The slowest part of any video editing is burning it to the Disc because the Disc burners haven’t keep pace with the rest of today’s computers, I burn at 16 speed to keep my error to a minimum, but @stratman will argue that one.. :oops:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
But I will consider using a different PSU. Anything in particular your would recommend?
How about this one
http://www.googlebb.magicmicro.com/description.asp?iid=2157
This has a sleeve fan bearing according to Corsair's web site. I prefer ball bearing. Also there are better warranties in the Corsair line. Going up the model line in Corsair's PSU's will also get increased thermal handling ("continuous output temperature rating"). I do like Corsair PSU's and am using one currently, an AX series, with good effect. The thermals are such that the fan does not need to run at times, and is not running as I type this post. But expect it to run during video rendering.

In the Corsair line I would stick with either the HX or AX models for your specific build.

Other tangibles to think about are modular versus not modular cables, braided as well as sleeved cable, flat versus round cables, sufficient cable length for your case, high quality Japanese capacitors, size limitations of case for the dimensions of the PSU, and software monitoring of the PSU (not my cuppa tea but others like it). Of course the specs of the PSU's operation are the most critical and you need to find reviews to compare the results of testing.

I am not saying the Coolmax is not good, just that I cannot find anything on it.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
That even made me look it up to see what The Hat is really like. Yes you are probably right!:)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
One problem with overclocking is that hardware failures are much more likely, and they are even more likely after the first error. Moreover, errors may remain undetected and undiagnosed. There's an article about this here: research.microsoft.com/pubs/144888/eurosys84-nightingale.pdf . Wikipedia also has a good article that mentions the drawbacks. I guess it's possible that industrial-sized cooling towers could compensate partly for overclocking, but I don't know whether that's born out by the record.

I do know from personal experience that good hardware is very reliable if it's run within design specs. I just retired a 12-MHz 286 PC that was quietly doing its job, and I replaced it with an almost identical 286. :) (But before you reply, I'm not typing this on that computer.}

I just thought I'd mention it in case some of you think there's no reliability cost. I know some of you like home-made hot rods, but personally, I drive Toyotas because they just work.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@ThrillaMozilla:

Your reasoning is why I have an unlocked chip but do not overclock. Plus I don't care about overclocking. Once, but not so much now.

I have no issue with the conservative overclock that my ASUS motherboard can apply automatically. I know the overclock produces little temp increase and my water cooling system (Corsair Hydro Series H110), case fans, and cable management for proper ventilation are sufficient to keep temps low.

My graphics cards is overclocked by the manufacturer and performs wonderfully. I have no fear here either.

Congrats on your long lived 80286! :clap My first was an 8088 and then a sporty 80386.

berttheghost

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500, pro-1
First, let me say that I agree with everyone :). Stratman has some especially good points.

That said, the 3690x is a 3 year old processor so you might consider buying used, selling the unneeded parts, and adding a new video card. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z800-Dua...1465450010?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2c943aea1a

Is this for business? If so you might want to focus on reliable performance. Another reason for starting with a workstation. ECC memory is your friend.

Good luck on your build.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Video editing & processing primarily and image editing secondarily.
I will either get the GTX 970 ( Cheaper and with less cuda cores ) or get the kick ass GTX 980 with over 2K cuda cores which is what Adobe premiere CC 2014 requires for best performance while editing and rendering avchd 1080P to H264 BluRay rez footage.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Go with the much better GTX 980 card Joe, because it will be doing all of the hard work for you, while your CPU can be out playing golf, well it might as well be doing something..