I am having this built for Video and Image editing. Overkill?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
My somewhat similar system has 4 case fans (variable speed), water cooled CPU to radiator/fan and PSU fan. Speed controlled by temperature sensors and the ASUS MB. The GPU has its own fans. Noise is hardly noticeable in a quiet room, except when high loading causes a concurrent increase in fan speeds. I am running the memory at 2.4 GBs and CPU at 4.4GBs overclocked. The fan blades are low noise designed, according to the blurb.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I switched the Crucial SSD for a 250.0 GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO Series Solid State Drive, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, 540MBs
Video editing, specially through Adobe Premiere CC 2014 will utilize the GPU much more than the CPU. Specially to be able to run the Mercury Playback Engine as smoothly as possible and at full frame rate and rez. When rendering an hour's worth of video for authoring to BluRay you need a GPU that can take over these functions.
This Card will integrate with Premiere perfectly and will take up a lot of the duties normally performed by the CPU.
It has over 2000 Cuda cores which Premiere will definitely use during rending 1080p video.

I currently have an older HP desktop with an older quad core processor, 8 gb of ram ( not the fastest ram either ) and I just recently undated to the Geforce GFX750 ti overclocked card which is definitely an upgrade to my stock 9800 GT. The reason I went with that card is because it does not require and extra 4 or 6 pin power connector and gets it's power directly from the MB. Works great in that basically older and underpowered ( By today's comparison ) system.

I will not be building this myself so I am still in process of putting together the best and most compatible array of components and keep it under $3k

Joe

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So many ways to spend money!

You're going to have a killer system. :D

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Personally, I would run, not walk, from anything described as "overclocked". Used as designed, most well-designed equipment should be reliable and long-lived. Run out of specs. is asking for trouble, for marginal gain. And with this stuff, you don't need any gain.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Personally, I would run, not walk, from anything described as "overclocked". Used as designed, most well-designed equipment should be reliable and long-lived. Run out of specs. is asking for trouble, for marginal gain. And with this stuff, you don't need any gain.

Me neither, fellas I know that work on gamer PC's say over clocking is a goldmine for them, BUT we are not gaming and jtoolman isn't either.
Visited with my computer man today and EVO 840's are unavailable, turns out because the EVO 850 is due in days.

STRONGLY suggest you examine that for your application @jtoolman, they are BLISTERING fast and bench tests give them a lifespan longer than I will need.:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What is overclocked on the list?

The CPU is unlocked and can be overclocked. The motherboard can automatically apply a modest overclock without danger as long as cooling is appropriate. While I suggested buying a better water cooler, the one Joe selected will be OK even with a modest overclock (depending on his environmental operating conditions).

His choice of RAM, motherboard and, to an more extreme extent, PSU will affect overclockability.

The graphics card can also be overclocked but I do not recommend that for the less than lionhearted or advanced user.

Besides cooling, my greatest concern is his choice of power supply. I don't know the manufacturer (it is not Coolmax) and the odds of clean power out of a $90 1000W PSU are pretty darned slim. Unless more is known about this PSU I would recommend a PSU from a known manufacturer and one that has been vetted by technical web sites.
Sagging amps/watts and underperforming rails can kill components too.

A lesser watt PSU may function with room to spare, and would doing a quick and hopefully reasonably accurate computation of his components using the following calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine. Joe's set up may function well with a clean powered PSU in the 800's watts which would give him plenty of breathing room. Even this may be more than he needs and result in increased cost of electricity and additional heat from a PSU that draws too much current from the electrical outlet than is needed by the computer (the 80% efficiency guideline and here). Better to buy a proven performer than save a few bucks and risk component death, especially during extended periods time requiring higher energy needs such as during video rendering.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The GTX 980 can be easily and safely overclocked to a certain degree. Not that I will even need to though as it runs ciscles to anythine I currently have. These new cards use the new Maxwell Architecture with much lower power requirements than those without.

But I will consider using a different PSU. Anything in particular your would recommend?
How about this one
http://www.googlebb.magicmicro.com/description.asp?iid=2157
I am still in the designing stage and nothing is etched in stone as of yet.

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks. I do respect your opinion. You do seem to know what you are talking about.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
By the way, my current editing machine is a HP Pavilion Elite m96360f
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2QUad CPU 2.50GHz
8 gb of RAM ( don't even know the type )
They only real upgrade I have done is going with the GTX 750ti card from Nvidia.

I am rendering a 65 minute 1080P video sequence to H.264 Blu-Ray
The only effect I have applied to the video sequence is one adjustment layer for general sharpening filter.

It took about 2 hours to fully render and my GPU was used about 50% and the CPU maxed out. so that's a little under 1:2!

GPU temp hovered at around a constant 39c. Fan is running at 40%!
Which is very COOL I would think.

I am looking forward to super renders with the new rig.

Will my old 9800GT this would have taken hours!!!
Here is a screen grab of the performance I am getting from my GTX750TI while rendering this video as reported by EVGA Precision X.
Joe
Untitled.jpg

Last edited: