I am having this built for Video and Image editing. Overkill?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Six-Core Prosessor
Corsair H60 Cooling Hydro, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, SLI & X-fire, USB 3.0, SATA3, HD Audio, 1xGB LAN
32GB (4x8GB) PC17000 DDR3 2133 Quad Channel (high performance memory)
GeForce GTX 980 4GB PCI EXpress 16X Quad head, HDMI
256.0 GB SSD Crucial MX100 Series Solid State Drive, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, 550MBs
Masscool iSURF II Aluminum Extra quiet Hard Drive Cooling system
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA3, 6.0Gb/s, 64mb cache
All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal Black
LG Blu-ray 14X Recorder w/ 3D Feature,16x DVD Recorder SATA combo drive
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Wireless 802.11AC 800MBs + Bluetooth 4.0 combo Network Card PCI Express
USB 3.0 Adapter Card 4 port PCI express
Thermaltake Urban S21, side Window, front USB 3.0
Dual Case Fans 120 mm Extra Quiet DC fan (two fans)
Coolmax ZU Series 1000W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

I will run either WIN - 7 64 bit or WIN-8.1 but only if I can get all my printer drivers for WIN-8

I welcome any comment or suggestions - Pros / Cons

Thank
Joe

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Six-Core Prosessor
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, SLI & X-fire, USB 3.0, SATA3, HD Audio, 1xGB LAN
32GB (4x8GB) PC17000 DDR3 2133 Quad Channel (high performance memory)
GeForce GTX 980 4GB PCI EXpress 16X Quad head, HDMI
256.0 GB SSD Crucial MX100 Series Solid State Drive, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, 550MBs
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA3, 6.0Gb/s, 64mb cache
All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal Black
LG Blu-ray 14X Recorder w/ 3D Feature,16x DVD Recorder SATA combo drive
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Wireless 802.11AC 800MBs + Bluetooth 4.0 combo Network Card PCI Express
USB 3.0 Adapter Card 4 port PCI express
Thermaltake Urban S21, side Window, front USB 3.0
Dual Case Fans 120 mm Extra Quiet DC fan (two fans)
Coolmax ZU Series 1000W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

I will run either WIN - 7 64 bit or WIN-8.1 but only if I can get all my printer drivers for WIN-8

I welcome any comment or suggestions - Pros / Cons

Thank
Joe

http://techreport.com/review/26532/crucial-mx100-solid-state-drive-reviewed

Assuming your plan for the ssd is video editing, MAY be worth looking at the 550 for performance and service life.

Aside of that.......computer il Grande!! Crikey Joe you will be able to manage the entire space program whilst doing one of your videos.......drool!

Andrew

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks 3dogs. This will be first time to use an SSD for my OS and programs.
For video work you really need to have several other drives as well. One for Media Storage and another as a Scratch drive for all the temp files that rendering video clips and some effects get stored during the editing process.
But primarily I needed that kick ass GeForce GTX 980 4GB as it has over 2000 Cuda cores which is a must when editing with Adobe Premiere CC 2014.
It makes real time editing and application of many effects a breeze rather than a PIA!

I hope to be able to get many years of good use and productivity out of this machine.

Joe

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
There is kick ass, and then there is KICK ass, you sure got the latter - awesome spec.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks to be a great system.

Recommend you use the largest radiator possible to maximize CPU cooling. If your chosen case will not support the largest block then consider a different case. For ease of cleaning, mount the fans above the radiator in a "pull" orientation. ("push" would be fan below the radiator) The dust trapped on the bottom of the radiator is more easily cleaned off then if you had to dissemble the radiator off the top of the fans.

I have the Corsair H110 inside a Corsair 500R case (no longer manufactured). The following link supposedly displays compatible components such as cases, motherboards, CPU's and CPU coolers. I have linked to your specific case. Just scroll to select a cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=thermaltake-case-vp800a1w2n. I'd double check compatibility.

If you want to optimize air flow / cooling, then consider "high static pressure" fans (versus "air flow" fans for unobstructed pathways) to move air more efficiently around obstacles such as hard drives or water cooling radiators. There are videos and web pages that explain this more.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
http://techreport.com/review/26532/crucial-mx100-solid-state-drive-reviewed

Assuming your plan for the ssd is video editing, MAY be worth looking at the 550 for performance and service life.
Skip the Crucial and go with Samsung. Better performance, whether an EVO or a Pro, and the Samsung Magician utility software is good. The article 3dogs linked states there is no utility software with the Crucial drive!

Choose either the Samsung 840 or 850 model based upon your price point. The Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB is currently $125 after 10% discount on Newegg. The 840 Evo is $120 at Adorama.

I have the Samsung 840 Pro and would not hesitate to by another or even go with the EVO. The specs are that good.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Joe, you needn’t be too worried about cooling your system, there is nothing in there that’s going to get that hot anyway, so ease up and don’t have too many fans going and then your system will run as quiet as a church mouse..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Joe, you needn’t be too worried about cooling your system, there is nothing in there that’s going to get that hot anyway, so ease up and don’t have too many fans going and then your system will run as quiet as a church mouse..
Maybe, maybe not.

Cooling the CPU and the GPU are important. Video editing will work the CPU, creating heat that can decrease the life of the CPU if not cooled well enough. Heat also needs to be removed from the motherboard's MOSFET's, the RAM and the video GPU. The HDD and SSD may not require the Masscool cooling systems if there is adequate air flow from the case fans. I would need to do research to know if these will be beneficial for the money.

Using 120 mm or greater sized fans will cut down on noise while pushing good cubic feet per minute air. Proper case configuration and cable management will further enhance cooling. Deciding on a positive or negative air flow in the case debatable by some.

Lastly, case/component cooling requirements increase if the room the computer is in is not air conditioned in summer.