How to limit fading?

slackercruster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base
Printer Model
All Epsons!
Fading is more prevalent with dye ink than pigment ink. Papers have little to do with it. Pigment inks are good for a year in direct sun with little or no fade. Keep dye based prints in the dark or they will fade away...Eastman Kodak dye transfer prints especially!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Papers have little to do with it.
I cannot concur with your statement - the ink in connection with a particular paper type defines the actual fade performance , with quite some influence of the paper as well, please see my posting
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-pigment-ink-for-epson-1500w.9323/page-19#post-92490
comparing the same dye ink on different papers

Pigment inks are good for a year in direct sun
Aardenburg Imaging test results show a wide variance for the fading performance of Epson and Canon pigment inks as well depending on the paper as tested. A simple number - e.g. 1 year in the sun does not describe the actual situation.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@slackercruster, you’ve got it somewhat wrong, yes all dye inks fade, but so do pigment inks, but nowhere near as fast as dye, but it still fades if you care to look, yet it’s still the best at keeping its colours the longest.

One of the biggest problems that all dye ink printer users face is their paper choice, paper has the ability to make dye ink fade at an astonishing rate or at a very slow rate depending on the conditions it is displayed in.

Pigment ink on the other hand can get away with just about any paper choice, but if you care to recheck your prints at a much later date against a newly printed specimen, then you’ll see the colour differences, environmental conditions permitted...

I love my dye ink printers, but I also love my pigment ink printers too and I always print on the cheapest paper available...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I always print on the cheapest paper available...
giphy.gif

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Fading is more prevalent with dye ink than pigment ink. Papers have little to do with it. Pigment inks are good for a year in direct sun with little or no fade. Keep dye based prints in the dark or they will fade away...Eastman Kodak dye transfer prints especially!

Sir, you could not be more wrong it you tried.

First, you are outright ignoring many very experienced printer's comments in not only this thread, but many others.

Canon used to have some pages up on the new back then Chromalife100+ inks that very clearly claimed different fading resistance with different papers. OEM, of course.

And dye transfer prints fade "especially." Are you aware that non-fading Kodachrome is essentially a dye transfer material? The fading, or lack thereof, a dye transfer prints is all about the color dyes. If you used food dyes I'm sure you are right But real dye transfers don't use them, do they?

Last, would you claim that microporous papers fade just like swellable gel coats?

No, of course not.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I couldn’t find my original file for Wilsons eyes, so I made up another pair..

Instead of applying the stickers onto the globe while it was on my bench I did it while it was still on the pole, not as good a job, but I reckon I’ll get use to him..

P.S. I don’t reckon the plastic globe with last for another change of eyes..new Wilson.jpg click to enlarge

Latest posts