1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Basic Question on Linen Paper?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

How to limit fading?

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by Vorkolor, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jul 7, 2016
    Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher Indolent contrarian Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
    OK - So "Wilson the Banker", as banks are the places that store small deposits. ;)

rs

sumi, The Hat and stratman like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2018
    slackercruster

slackercruster Getting Fingers Dirty

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base
    Printer Model:
    All Epsons!
    Fading is more prevalent with dye ink than pigment ink. Papers have little to do with it. Pigment inks are good for a year in direct sun with little or no fade. Keep dye based prints in the dark or they will fade away...Eastman Kodak dye transfer prints especially!

3. Jan 24, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310, L382, L800, Pro 7600
    I cannot concur with your statement - the ink in connection with a particular paper type defines the actual fade performance , with quite some influence of the paper as well, please see my posting
    https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-pigment-ink-for-epson-1500w.9323/page-19#post-92490
    comparing the same dye ink on different papers

Aardenburg Imaging test results show a wide variance for the fading performance of Epson and Canon pigment inks as well depending on the paper as tested. A simple number - e.g. 1 year in the sun does not describe the actual situation.

4. Jan 24, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    @slackercruster, you’ve got it somewhat wrong, yes all dye inks fade, but so do pigment inks, but nowhere near as fast as dye, but it still fades if you care to look, yet it’s still the best at keeping its colours the longest.

One of the biggest problems that all dye ink printer users face is their paper choice, paper has the ability to make dye ink fade at an astonishing rate or at a very slow rate depending on the conditions it is displayed in.

Pigment ink on the other hand can get away with just about any paper choice, but if you care to recheck your prints at a much later date against a newly printed specimen, then you’ll see the colour differences, environmental conditions permitted...

I love my dye ink printers, but I also love my pigment ink printers too and I always print on the cheapest paper available...

5. Jan 25, 2018
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    [​IMG]

The Hat likes this.
  6. May 1, 2018
    Paul Verizzo

Paul Verizzo Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
    Sir, you could not be more wrong it you tried.

First, you are outright ignoring many very experienced printer's comments in not only this thread, but many others.

Canon used to have some pages up on the new back then Chromalife100+ inks that very clearly claimed different fading resistance with different papers. OEM, of course.

And dye transfer prints fade "especially." Are you aware that non-fading Kodachrome is essentially a dye transfer material? The fading, or lack thereof, a dye transfer prints is all about the color dyes. If you used food dyes I'm sure you are right But real dye transfers don't use them, do they?

Last, would you claim that microporous papers fade just like swellable gel coats?

No, of course not.

7. May 1, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310, L382, L800, Pro 7600
    The Hat likes this.