How to limit fading?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Regarding the pictures on your fridge. I have read somewhere that the gas emitted from a fridge can contribute to accelerated fading. I think it is FREON gas or something like that. Ideally these emissions should be very small, but under some circumstances can build up, or be emitted in larger quantities. You could try using a cork-board in a convenient location away from the fridge with similar lighting and pin some test images to it and see if they fade as quickly.

rs
If you "fridge" emits freon, you REALLY have a problem!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
If you "fridge" emits freon, you REALLY have a problem!

Maybe I got the specifics of the impurity wrong, but I seem to recall some type of impurity likely to occur in the vicinity of a refrigerator possibly being the cause of premature fading. There was some internet discussions on this subject a few years back.

Then again it could be the stuff urban legends are made of. In fact very likely seeing nobody else thinks it is very credible.

rs

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Guys it's not Freon the fridge is emmiting. It would be a fridge for too long if it was indeed doing than.
The problem with most fridges is that they seem to generate Ozone!
A very effective oxidant of organic dyes!!! Meaning fader!

I place a photo totally exposed to the conditions in my print room in the basement it it never fades. However, the same placed on the fridge door and it's bye bye print within a month.
The level of light is about the same in both places.
The same photo sitting on my west facing window of my print room does not suffer at all. Oh and these two prints as on dye PC ink on canon pro luster.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't understand how a fridge could generate Ozone. AFAIK Ozone is generated by exposing Oxygen or air to high levels of high voltage corona discharge or high levels of short wave ultraviolet light. Could the (Polyurethane?) insulating foam material in the fridge be outgassing something that fades the pictures?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Check out a Canon Maxify it will fit under a shelf or desk, it’s a pretty good all rounder and not expensive.. ;)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Freon and other coolants were considered a strong ozone killer - you may remember the discussions about the widening ozone holes here and there....who knows what's going on in your kitchen. You probably would have to do a complete gaschromatographic analysis to understand what's going on there. Formaldehyde was as well an agent impacting the fading of color pictures, in albums in cabinets, but today formaldehyde has been pretty much eliminated from chemical production processes - PU foam parts etc. Humidity itself is passive but accelerating fading very strongly which makes it diffifcult to compare fading results outside a controlled environment - humidity, temperature which may be as well different between your kitchen and your basement print equipment room , and as well the lighting in the rooms.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I was told that by someone. The fact still is that dye Ink prints dye when put on a fridge door.
Joe

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm getting curious - I just placed a patch target onto my fridge door - the kitchen window is facing north.

Fridge-Fade.jpg

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I was told that by someone. The fact still is that dye Ink prints dye when put on a fridge door.
Joe

Reassuring to know I am only half batsh*t crazy! :)

I also know that I frequently give prints to my children of their children, nieces and nephews etc. These are invariably stuck on the fridge door and fade within a couple of months. Same pics printed same time, same paper and ink and displayed in my home NOT on the fridge door, and in brighter light show no sign of fading in same time period.

could be coincidence.

rs