German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
eixty said:
Can I use squeeze bottles instead of the syringe for this method? Which would be better for this method, syringe or squeeze bottle? I figured with a syringe I can leave the syringe in while the sponge is absorbing the ink, whereas with a squeeze bottle, the bottle might bend the needle if I leave it on? Thanks
I still think that using squeeze bottles with a top fill hole is the easiest and cleanest way to fill cartridges. The German method hasn't grabbed my fancy yet. Maybe if I was using syringes that way is best, but I switched to squeeze bottles a while ago and find the top load method fast and efficient.
I would be concerned with a full bottle of ink hanging out of that small hole, possibly bending the needle. Just seems like a bulky way to use that method. I think syringes are best for the German method.

Steve W.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Trainman - a greater risk than a bent needle is the fact that the leurlock receptical on top of the squeeze bottles is plastic and a bit too soft. I've used these sqeeze bottles for a few years and find them very convenient and efficient. I have had one top, however that had the threads strip out and wouldn't hold the needle hub properly. I've gotten into the habit of testing the needle to be sure it is secure in the cap before refilling carts. If the needle came loose while refilling it would be one heck of a mess! I may, as a safety precaution buy another set from Howards electronics or see if they sell replacement e caps separately.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks both for the replies, I guess I'll stick to syringes for the time being then. Thanks again.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

It seems to me that for people using the German Refill method --- if you have to subsequently do a purge of that cart, it might not be necessary to make an additional hole for water to exit. The water may exit through the vent hole above the sponge, as well as the 2 mm hole we made in the lower sponge chamber to insert the needle (made with pushpin).

If somehow the water was not able to exit fast enough from these 2 outlets and an additional hole was needed, I think it would make sense to make the extra hole above the sponge chamber, instead of over the empty reservoir chamber --- perhaps at the "hole to nowhere" in the photo below.

1853_hole_to_nowhere.jpg

When done with the purging, this additional hole (if one were made) could be sealed with hobbicolors' plugs, or tape.
Because it is over the sponge chamber, it would not be so crucial for it to be a perfect seal, whereas if the additional hole had been made over the empty reservoir, the chance of a slight leak would result in ink leaking out of the exit port.

So why take an unnecessary risk? It seems to add no advantage to make the additional hole over the empty reservoir, since it is just providing a path for the water from the purge to escape, so might as well be over the sponge itself.

Do you agree?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Trainman - a greater risk than a bent needle is the fact that the leurlock receptical on top of the squeeze bottles is plastic and a bit too soft. I've used these sqeeze bottles for a few years and find them very convenient and efficient. I have had one top, however that had the threads strip out and wouldn't hold the needle hub properly. I've gotten into the habit of testing the needle to be sure it is secure in the cap before refilling carts. If the needle came loose while refilling it would be one heck of a mess! I may, as a safety precaution buy another set from Howards electronics or see if they sell replacement e caps separately.
I totally agree with you there. Guess that is the main reason why the syringe is better - for the German method. That would be some mess if 2 oz of ink started pouring out of the bottle :eek:. I haven't had one of the Luer Locks fail yet, but I can see that it is a weak link in the system we use. I also make sure the needle is secure. Always worry just a tiny bit when I turn the bottle over into the fill hole. Every once in awhile I get an email from Howard Electronics about a % off sale on everything. May buy some extra bottles also the next time.

Steve W.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
jru said:
Hi all,

It seems to me that for people using the German Refill method --- if you have to subsequently do a purge of that cart, it might not be necessary to make an additional hole for water to exit. The water may exit through the vent hole above the sponge, as well as the 2 mm hole we made in the lower sponge chamber to insert the needle (made with pushpin).
I discovered the best way to work is before flushing to fill the ink compartment with distilled water until completely full. This will counter the pressure during flushing and afterwards you use the same Durchstich method to withdraw the water from the ink chamber and voil ! No need to drill extra holes or whatsoever.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
trainman - if you get another % off circular from Howard, please forward it to me at the email listed with my info.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pharmicist,

I discovered the best way to work is before flushing to fill the ink compartment with distilled water until completely full. This will counter the pressure during flushing and afterwards you use the same Durchstich method to withdraw the water from the ink chamber and voil ! No need to drill extra holes or whatsoever.
Thanks for sharing this ...

I'm not sure I understand why having water in the empty reservoir helps reduce the pressure in the sponge chamber...
It seemed to me that the pressure buildup everywhere in the cart would be related only to the rate of the water coming in,
and the total size of all exit holes combined.

Can you explain a bit more why this might be so?

Did you try it both with and without water in the reservoir and find it to help to have it full?

I'll give it a try... It is good to know that you did not find it necessary to drill any additional holes to do the purge.

Best wishes,

Jill

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The reason why I fill up the ink chamber with distilled water is to prevent the flushing fluid (heavily stained with ink) to flow back into the sponge, thus making it possible to clean the the sponge completely without the danger of heavily restaining of the sponge when the inky flushing fluid is running back during the flushing process. When using the normal refill method (hole above the ink compartment), the hole made is an escaping hole when flushing the sponge. But the German Durchstich method makes it impossible for the flushing fluid to escape through this hole, which does not exist. Instead the flushed ink will accumulate in the ink compartment during flushing and will flow back when the pressure falls back and restaining the sponge......

It has nothing to do with reducing the pressure in the sponge !

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pharmacist,

Thanks so much for explaining... I'll give it a try when a purge is due!

Best,

Jill

Latest posts