German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hope this is an appropriate thread for this post. If not, I apologize. When I was in the market for a new printer, I read lots of posts on this site and finally decided to buy a Canon ip4200. After reading about the methods for refilling the cartridges, I have decided that the bottom fill method will work the best for me. I have two questions: 1. I purchased ink from Hobbicolors and they have instructions for a top fill method. It says after filling, the cartridge should be squeezed and a few drops of ink should come out. Is this necessary when using the bottom fill method? 2. The instructions for the bottom fill method do not say anything about sealing the hole. It would seem to me that since the cartridge is not designed with this hole that it might be a good idea to put a small piece of tape over it. What do you think? Thanks for you help. I always enjoy reading the posts on this forum.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
By bottom fill method, I am assuming you mean the German method? It isn't necessary to seal the hole in this method because the ink will not leak out, as it does with the other methods. If it makes you feel more secure you may put a peace of tape over the filling hole.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
kspeed55 said:
I hope this is an appropriate thread for this post. If not, I apologize. When I was in the market for a new printer, I read lots of posts on this site and finally decided to buy a Canon ip4200. After reading about the methods for refilling the cartridges, I have decided that the bottom fill method will work the best for me. I have two questions: 1. I purchased ink from Hobbicolors and they have instructions for a top fill method. It says after filling, the cartridge should be squeezed and a few drops of ink should come out. Is this necessary when using the bottom fill method? 2. The instructions for the bottom fill method do not say anything about sealing the hole. It would seem to me that since the cartridge is not designed with this hole that it might be a good idea to put a small piece of tape over it. What do you think? Thanks for you help. I always enjoy reading the posts on this forum.
The German Durchstichmethod automatically balances the optimal ink distribution inside the sponge area so you don't and must not squeeze out several drops of ink from the cartridge. The milking of the cartridge is only necessary when using the traditional refilling method and only if you don't close the venting hole when the cartridge is filled half way (this will prevent the upper sponge from saturating when refilling the upper part of the ink compartment).

I discovered a way to flush the cartridge using Grandad35's method and when using the German Durchstich method: fill the ink compartment completely with distilled water and purge the cartridge using Grandad35's method. The already filled ink compartment prevents the the flushing fluid to enter this area and the waste fluid is actually escaping through the vent hole area. After the sponge is completely white, use the german method to extract the bulk water from the ink compartment. Give the cartridge a hard blow through the vent hole (mouth) to remove the excess of water from the cartridge. Dry as usual, voil !

Something else: there is a extra hole with the German Durchstichmethod. Think about that larger ink outlet hole underneath the cartridge: it is wider and is lower than than the hole you made with the durchstichmethod. In normal circumstances no ink is leaking out of that ink outlet hole even the pressure (less resistance and lower compaired tot the smaller insertion hole above), so why should ink come out of the hole made for the German Durchstichmethod as it does NOT from the lower hole ? If you think that in the larger hole the ink pressure from above is greater than the sideway pressure from the Durchstichmethod hole and also the resistance from this larger hole is less per given area I can not see why ink should come out of the small drilled hole.

charlie1939

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Pharmacist---What a briliant solution!!! Leave it to the Germans...
Here, I thought I had found a super easy way to refill after digging out the nylon ball, refilling and plugging the fill hole with a rubber plug using the InkTec refill kit. For the next refill, I found that I could tip the cartridge so the big outlet hole in the bottom was above the level of the ink in the reservoir, then pull the rubber plug and inject all the ink you can to nearly totally refill the ink resevoir without the ink leaking out of the fill hole, replace the rubber plug and you are off and running. You can refill a cartridge in about 15-20 seconds. It is so easy, so clean and so fast that I now check all six cartridges on my S9000 before any print job and top up any that are not nearly full.

charlie1939

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A post script to this thread and to my post above, here is the article on this filling method from druckerchannel.de (in english) for anyone wanting to see the original. It does recommend drilling the hole in the sponge compartment using a 2 mm (0.080") drill or to the math impaired, a bit larger than the 1/16" (0.0625") drill almost everyone has in their drill kit. Click on or paste this URL into your browser for a printable version:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...1&ps4=1&ps5=1&ps6=1&ps7=1&ps8=1&print=Drucken

Cheers....

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Charlie1939, The german and english version at druckerchannel.de is known by me. Actually I learned from these guys and found that using a sharp awl/thick needle more elegant and less risky than an electric drill, which can cause the sponge wrap around the drill making the cartridge useless if the rotation is speed is to high. Credits should be given to Ritchman and Gurl from druckerchannel.de

thinkinFRESH

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i want to use this method, I just have one question. I have the original ink carts from canon in my printer and 2 of the carts are almost empty. Can i mix the hobbicolors ink that i got with the ink thats already in the carts? Or do i need to wait untill they are all fully empty? Is there a place to buy empty carts? THanks!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
thinkinFRESH said:
i want to use this method, I just have one question. I have the original ink carts from canon in my printer and 2 of the carts are almost empty. Can i mix the hobbicolors ink that i got with the ink thats already in the carts? Or do i need to wait untill they are all fully empty? Is there a place to buy empty carts? THanks!
Hi ThinkinFRESH, you can without any problem, but I won't combine several types of inks together, but mixing OEM ink with refill ink such as Hobbicolors can be done flawlessly.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can I use squeeze bottles instead of the syringe for this method? Which would be better for this method, syringe or squeeze bottle? I figured with a syringe I can leave the syringe in while the sponge is absorbing the ink, whereas with a squeeze bottle, the bottle might bend the needle if I leave it on? Thanks