German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Defcon2k said:
So... does anybody know where to buy needles with a sharp tip in the USA? Or do you use a blunt needle without problems and can drop me a hint how to do so?
I really have no idea if blunt needles are problematic, since I've used sharp needles ever since.
Many US states have laws concerning mailing of sharp needles. Essentially, one either needs to have a physician's prescription or has to be a qualified business. There are states without these laws. Most of the businesses I spoke with in the hobbyist industry said they switched to blunted needles to avoid any shipping/legal issues and the hassles of determing which states have issues with sharps shipped.

I have been using blunt tipped needles for some time and found them to be perfect for refilling. Not only is the risk of injuring yourself reduced, the blunt end does not skewer the little plastic tab in the middle of the bottom of the spongeless side (which stops further forward advancement of the needle when inserted for refilling).

The blunt needle has had zero difficulty doing its job of refilling and they are safer to use. I was skeptical about it traversing the sponge, but there have been no issues at all as of now.

I would recommend the blunt over the sharp tipped needle to anyone.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The other option here is to get a really thin gauge needle with a blunt end... a 26/27 gauge will work in this situation... The other instance is that you can purchase a blunt needle and then sharpen it up manually yourself..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
websnail said:
The other option here is to get a really thin gauge needle with a blunt end... a 26/27 gauge will work in this situation... The other instance is that you can purchase a blunt needle and then sharpen it up manually yourself..
That is true, however it is impractical in 21st century. One day you sharp needles yourself the next make syringes more than 5cc etc. The stupid laws need to be changed.

gumpy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just got my supply of needles off ebay, they are catheter needles used for body piercing. Theyr'e a bit heavy 16 gauge but long 55 mm. Chicky Boom is an ebay store here in AU and she also sends them to the USA.

dantheman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a couple questions for Pharmacist or anyone that uses his procedure to purge the Durchstich refill ink cartridges.

I understand that the first thing is to fill up the ink chamber ink with distill water, and then flushing the sponge area until it clean. Finally the last step is to use the same Durchstich method to withdraw the water from the ink chamber. I like the idea of no hole to be drilled

My questions are how I flush and dry. For flushing do I just let the water run through the exit port until the sponge turn in white? I'm very confused as of how this being done so any detail instructions would be very helpful. And for drying, do I just let it sit there for a few days and let it dry naturally? Im in Texas and it is extremely hot here. Can I leave it out in the sun for about 5 hours to accelerate the drying process?

Thank you for all your help

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm flushing several BCI-6 carts right now.
I don't see how you could effectively flush without doing the following (or similar):

I have carefully drilled a 1/8" diameter hole on the top of each tank near the keeper clip.
There is a "divot" at that location that helps to identify the correct spot.
It is very close to the outboard end of the cartridge as it is in the installed position.
Of course that would place it over the reservoir tank...the chamber without the sponge.

Flushing water is forced up through the 3/8" dia outlet and out the 1/8" hole.

I am a boater and I culturally cannot poke a hole "below the waterline" so the German method is out for me : ) !
I refill through that 1/8" hole.

Dave at Hobbicolors supplies silicone rubber bungs that precisely fit that 1/8" hole.

Even if you would want to use the German method, the 1/8" hole + bung would still be a good way to flush.

I'll put the carts out in the sun today for a few hours of drying.

boyzo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Will the foam be worn with many insertions using the German bottom fill method
I use a 1.25mm X 50mm long needle
The method works fine but is fidddly to get into the compartment thru' the wall
Is the hole better off centre ???

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
boyzo said:
In my experience the repeated insertion of the needle has little apparent effect on the integrity of the sponge.

Yes I agree it is fiddly................but worth it.

You can try the following:-

Take off the needle from the syringe and introduce it to the cart. You seem to get a better "feel" for where the needle needs to go. When you are properly in place , re-attach the syringe and re-fill.
or :-
As long as your needle is really sharp , puncture the internal wall near the proper entrance and re-fill , with luck you may be able to find and use the hole again the next time , (or make another one).

boyzo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
boyzo said:
In my experience the repeated insertion of the needle has little apparent effect on the integrity of the sponge.

Yes I agree it is fiddly................but worth it.

You can try the following:-

Take off the needle from the syringe and introduce it to the cart. You seem to get a better "feel" for where the needle needs to go. When you are properly in place , re-attach the syringe and re-fill.
or :-
As long as your needle is really sharp , puncture the internal wall near the proper entrance and re-fill , with luck you may be able to find and use the hole again the next time , (or make another one).
Thanks so much for reply I will just keep doing it how I have been.
Ye I have a feel for the previous needle Path
Main concern was Foam wear

Cheers from Winter In Aus

canon rules