Colormunki Photo/display Calibration

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Having Spyder 3, & SpyderPrint and Colormunki Photo, I think you have made the right choice and will have saved money in the long run.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Customs said that everything sent from EU is free from VAT and taxes. Everything outside the EU is subject to taxes and VAT.

So... I ordered the Colormunki Photo from Amazon UK and paid $100 less than I would of if I bought it locally. And that includes shipping... Plus I'll get it after 25dec, so it's faster too. :)

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!
That’s great news Tudor, but does that mean you won’t be able to post a photo for us.. :hit

Only eight day left now… :frow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Customs said that everything sent from EU is free from VAT and taxes. Everything outside the EU is subject to taxes and VAT.

So... I ordered the Colormunki Photo from Amazon UK and paid $100 less than I would of if I bought it locally. And that includes shipping... Plus I'll get it after 25dec, so it's faster too. :)

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!
Excellent! Have fun with your new tool! :clap

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
The Hat : hahaha What did they promise you, Brian? :plbb

Merry Christmas, everyone!
:yaA MERRY CHRISTMAS…. :ya
stratman said:
Excellent! Have fun with your new tool! :clap
Are you sure you don’t want to rephrase your reply. ? ? :duc

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yaA MERRY CHRISTMAS…. :ya
Are you sure you don’t want to rephrase your reply. ? ? :duc
:eek: :confused: o_O

No hidden or cute meaning. Honest injun! I didn't want to denigrate the ColorMunki by calling it a "toy", so I called it what it is,a "tool" to help tudor get the most out of his computer and photographs. Wouldn't mind one myself. :thumbsup

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I got my colormunki on 6 jan instead of 27 dec; I paid for Priority Express and they sent it using Standard... The second Amazon guy I talked to sent my P&P money back. :)

Did some profiles with it using the original software and it's great!

Used argyll_162+dispcalgui to calibrate my display... still great!

I want to use argyll to do some printer profiles. Do you have a good command line for me? Some tips? Any help would be welcomed.

Last edited:

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I looked at @mikling 's commands and modified them a bit:

targen -v -d2 -G -e2 -B2 -g128 -f880 A4profile

printtarg -v -iCM -a0.70 -b -h -T360 -M4 -P -p210x297 A4profile

I get 880 patches on two A4 pages (which should be enough for a good profile, as I understand). Each patch is 9,5x9,5 mm and CM's sensor window is 8mm in diameter. Are the patches big enough to be read correctly?

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Here's the bottom line:

Is the argyll_162+dispcalgui profile for either the monitor or printer better than the profile obtained from the xRite software?

I have tried to install argyll_162+dispcalgui software and had problems because it did not recognise my colormunki.

Faced with a non-intuitive trouble shooting procedure decided I wasn't willing to invest that amount of time and effort unless I could be certain of an improved result.

Of course old goats like me can remember back to MSDOS 3.2 (Came on 2 - 5" floppies) when the command line was king, and any serious work involved all the command line parameters.

In my case even before that with Appledos on the old Apple ][

Printing has now come down to CONTROL-P and reach for the coffee mug.

How we have been spoiled by the GUI interfaces!

RS

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You can find here how to install Argyll, drivers and path: http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/FCMS2010_ArgyllTute.pdf You can get dispcalGUI and instructions on how to use it here: http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/ . DispcalGUI is an interface and it's only for displays, not printers.

When I used argyll and dispcalgui to profile my display I chose the fastest setting (under 100 patches, can't remember exactly). There was a slight difference from the xrite profile, but not that noticeable to my eyes. Maybe with more patches... There are settings with more than 2500 patches, but it takes a looooong, loooong time and... I didn't do it yet.

Right now I use a xrite generated profile for my display (forgot to backup the argyll profile when I reinstalled windows...) and try to get used to profiling a printer with argyll. There is a lot of info to digest, though!