Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Tudor said:
@lin:
The idea was to not overfill the sponge. If you read the writing on the pictures you will find these steps:
a. Close the vent with the clay;
b. Unplug the refill hole (if plugged), fill the ink chamber and plug it;
c. Remove the clay and wait 2 minutes for the sponge to absorb as much ink as it needs. You can wait longer, but 2 minutes should be enough.

If needed you can repeat steps b and c until the cartridge reaches a weight of 20-20.5 gr.
lin said:
Air is needed to go into the ink chamber for the exchange of air and ink to be absorb by the sponge. Even by closing the refill hole with plug at point B as you mentioned #8 and thereafter point C removing of the clay, you are not allowing the exchanging of air and ink process to take place.
first video removed, see post #60

The video has no sound, play your favorite music. :)

I'll make a video of a cli-521 using the same steps so we can see the difference.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
lin, do you have any cli-8s left that are really dry, like the one you used for the experiment? I need to know the weight of a really dry cli-8. It should not be modified (no hot glue added). Thank you!
Tudor, regarding your question to your post #30, I weight the purge CLI-8 cartridge which was dried for a month plus, and it's weigh about 13-14g. I don't have a precise weighing scale though. Not too sure would a cartridge that is has been dried for more than 1 months (not more than 2 months) is very drying to you.

The cartridge that I weigh, has no seal plug/canon ball over the refill hole. And no storage clip on the cartridge.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lin said:
Tudor, regarding your question to your post #30, I weight the purge cartridge which was dried for a month plus, and it's weigh about 13-14g. I don't have a precise weighing scale though. Not too sure would a cartridge that is slightly dry for more than 1 months is very drying to you.

The cartridge that I weigh, has no seal plug/canon ball over the refill hole. And no storage clip on the cartridge.
Thank you, but I need precise weight. I got a cli-8 as low as 13,8g using a centrifuge (2min) + ghwellsjr's paper towel method (4hours).

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here are the pictures that followed 1.e. in my original first post. 1a, 2a,b and 3a-e were added at a later date. It may help anyone interested in understanding the discussion that followed.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Tudor said:
@lin:
The idea was to not overfill the sponge. If you read the writing on the pictures you will find these steps:
a. Close the vent with the clay;
b. Unplug the refill hole (if plugged), fill the ink chamber and plug it;
c. Remove the clay and wait 2 minutes for the sponge to absorb as much ink as it needs. You can wait longer, but 2 minutes should be enough.

If needed you can repeat steps b and c until the cartridge reaches a weight of 20-20.5 gr.
lin said:
Air is needed to go into the ink chamber for the exchange of air and ink to be absorb by the sponge. Even by closing the refill hole with plug at point B as you mentioned #8 and thereafter point C removing of the clay, you are not allowing the exchanging of air and ink process to take place.
http://youtu.be/J0f-6SsbS6Q

The video has no sound, play your favorite music. :)

I'll make a video of a cli-521 using the same steps so we can see the difference.
Thank you for your video, it's nice to see that the sponge could absorb the ink with the top refill hole plugged (sealed up). SO I guessed you could ignore me where I suggested you to allow a couple amount of ink to be absorbed by the sponge (which by this time, the sponge should have reaches 75%, 80% or 85%...etc) before one put thumb/finger or clay over the vent hole to prevent oversaturating/overfilling. And stick to your original own instruction.

But could you be kind enough to help me to do a video similarly with CLI-8 (Because it's transparent) in the same condition/situation as in the above video, with that refill hole sealed with hot glue instead of seal plug. Because I would like to keep that video (where you help me did it with hot glue over the top refill hole) by downloaded your youtube video later. Thank you in advance.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lin said:
But could you be kind enough to help me to do a video similarly with CLI-8 (Because it's transparent) in the same condition/situation as in the above video, with that refill hole sealed with hot glue instead of seal plug. Because I would like to keep that video (where you help m did it with hot glue over the top refill hole) by downloaded your youtube video later. Thank you in advance.
So exactly the same video except with hot glue instead of silicone plug? :) I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting...

But, sure, I'll upload it with the one with cli-521.

lin said:
SO I guessed you could ignore me where I suggested you to allow a couple amount of ink to be absorbed by the sponge (which by this time, the sponge should have reaches 75%, 80% or 85%...etc) before one put thumb/finger or clay over the vent hole to prevent oversaturating/overfilling. And stick to your original own instruction.
That suggestion was excellent, that's why I modified the first post.

What I didn't agree with was
lin said:
Even by closing the refill hole with plug at point B as you mentioned #8 and thereafter point C removing of the clay, you are not allowing the exchanging of air and ink process to take place.
, so I ended up doing that video.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
lin said:
But could you be kind enough to help me to do a video similarly with CLI-8 (Because it's transparent) in the same condition/situation as in the above video, with that refill hole sealed with hot glue instead of seal plug. Because I would like to keep that video (where you help m did it with hot glue over the top refill hole) by downloaded your youtube video later. Thank you in advance.
So exactly the same video except with hot glue instead of silicone plug? :) I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting...

But, sure, I'll upload it with the one with cli-521.
Hmm, Not CLI-521 because I wanted one with a transparent cart where one could see the cartridge in action and then download your video later. I don't have a video cam.
Wow by the way, you could make video so beautiful.
just a video 100% in similar condition for CLI-8 in your above video in your exact same steps But sealed with hot glue instead.
That is
Where you had flush the cartridge and dry in the same condition and hours.
Then, video it showing closing the vent with the clay; Unplug the refill hole (if plugged), and then inject ink into the ink chamber. But seal this top refill hole with hot glue and not silicone plug. And then after the hot glue is dry, remove the clay and wait for the sponge to absorb as much ink as it needs.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor, By the way, out of curiosity I wanted to asked, in your video posted in #41, is there a german refill method refill hole at the front of the cartridge (where the sponge chamber is. where the refill hole is near to the cartridge plastic front tab is)?

Have you used this cart in your video for german refill before where there is a front refill hole?

2740_germanrefillmethodfronthole2.jpg

The reason I asked because I saw in your video. And I wanted to understand what was the condition of the cartridge like apart from it being flashed and dry with paper towel for 2hrs hence not bone dry.

2740_tcartimg.jpg

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, there was a hole for the german refill method. I filled that hole with hot glue and you can see there is a small disc of glue on the outside.

If this, in any way, nullifies the experiment please tell me before I start another video.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Yes, there was a hole for the german refill method. I filled that hole with hot glue and you can see there is a small disc of glue on the outside.

If this, in any way, nullifies the experiment please tell me before I start another video.
Okay, thanks for the info.

I am not familiar with german refill method. But since anyway, you have sealed that german refill method front refill hole with hot glue so I don't think it should in anyway nullifies the experiment or the video I wishes to capture the process and download.