CLI-526 TopFill

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
So if the top fill hole is plugged and vent opened the sponge doesn't absorb ink... Does that sound right to you? How come the german refilling method works? How does the cartridge work when it's in the printer with the top fill hole closed? Magic?
I only experiment with german refill method once or twice as suggested by this forum, and I gave up because I couldn't get used it. So I continued to use what I am familiar with the top refill method.
So I can't really comment on the german refilling method.
But ask yourself this question, for german refilling method, where is your refill hole now? Have you forgotten, the refill hole is not at the top (and top refill hole closed) since you change the location of the refill hole, by making a refill hole at the front of the cartridge where the sponge compartment is. You have created yourself another hole (that is at the front), despite you closing the top refill hole.

And your next qn whereby the cartridge is inside the printer with refill hole closed.

Image your cartridge with closed top refill hole is now out of your "Storage clip" to place inside the printhead? So during printing, ink is consumed, ink in the top sponge depleted until halfway where it reaches somewhere about where the grooves level is. Now any further printing, the air and ink exchanges and the sponge absorb ink and now the the ink in the ink chamber dropped whereas the air in the ink chamber increases.

The ink inside the cartridge would be used if it's inside the printer where by it prints or the printer makes it's routine waste ink purge.

So if it's not printing, you think the ink from the ink chamber is going to moves to sponge when it's doing nothing inside a printer? At most if I could think of is, if the printer is left for a very long time being unused, a very slight minimal evaporation may occur.

--------
[May or may not edit to provide pictures later]

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
lin, do you have any cli-8s left that are really dry, like the one you used for the experiment? I need to know the weight of a really dry cli-8. It should not be modified (no hot glue added). Thank you!

I think we should leave things as they are, as we cannot reach a consensus. I will refill a cli-8 as in my original post and see what happens. And film it. And post it here. :)
I try to see if there is one very dry one and weigh. If I am not wrong is about 14g. Later I check again.

No, I am not trying to argue. In no way was all my reply is an attempt to argue. But I am just explaining what what I said previously in my post. If one misunderstand what I wrote in some way, then I need to explain or clarify isn't it.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
I'll try to explain again why your statement (that the ink chamber must be opened initially for the sponge to absorb ink) is wrong.

Here is the german method: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315

1. Note that ink is inserted in the ink chamber only and has no way to reach the sponge, as the hole between the chambers is up.
2. Ink chamber is full, with no holes in it, and the cartridge is returned to normal position. Ink can now pass into the sponge.
3. Cartridge is turned upside down to fill ink chamber again. Ink can not reach the sponge.

Here are the steps in my original post:

1. Vent closed, ink is inserted in the ink chamber. Ink cannot enter the sponge (or very little ink) as the vent is closed.
2. Plug the refill hole so ink chamber has no holes in it, vent open. Ink can now pass into the sponge.
3. Vent plugged, refill hole opened and ink chamber is filled. Ink cannot pass into the sponge because the vent is closed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wowa guys have you never considered that all of these methods do work successfully and those that use them
have been doing so for quite some time and are happy to continue despite it being considered by some to be imperfect or flawed.

ThrillaMozilla I am just saying that what he stated in this post is clear and correct.
That bit doesnt sit well with me at all because I left a purged CLI-8 cartridge to stand with the reservoir full
the refill hole and the air maze uncovered for over a month and the sponge soak up very little ink.

I ended up having to suck on the air maze to soak the rest of the sponge so I could use this cartridge
and guess what, it looked just the same as the one in lins pictures only Green.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=63103#p63103

A used cartridge and purged cartridges take up ink in a completely different way
and what works for one doesnt necessarily mean that it will work for the other..

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
I'll try to explain again why your statement (that the ink chamber must be opened initially for the sponge to absorb ink) is wrong.

Here is the german method: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315

1. Note that ink is inserted in the ink chamber only and has no way to reach the sponge, as the hole between the chambers is up.
2. Ink chamber is full, with no holes in it, and the cartridge is returned to normal position. Ink can now pass into the sponge.
3. Cartridge is turned upside down to fill ink chamber again. Ink can not reach the sponge.
In this german method in the picture, I see the cartridge that is not on storage clip and vent hole Not Close too, and there is no hole on top of the ink chamber. But ask yourself, where is the refill hole now or is there a hole that has taken over the role of the top refill hole?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lin, seriously, in the german filling method there is no hole in the ink chamber. There are three holes, none in the ink chamber. The cartridges in the link are transparent, you can look, there is no doubt or question about a hole in the ink chamber.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
lin, seriously, in the german filling method there is no hole in the ink chamber. There are three holes, none in the ink chamber. The cartridges in the link are transparent, you can look, there is no doubt or question about a hole in the ink chamber.
Yes there is no refill hole at the ink chamber top. But where is the refill hole now? Isn't the refill hole now relocated at the front cartridge of the sponge chamber where one created a newly refill hole by using a tool to poke through to make hole? Though the refill hole not at the top where ink chamber is. But the refill hole has now becomes at the side (front of the sponge chamber). So air goes through the vent hole, refill hole near the hole at the front of the sponge chamber and exit port if it's without storage clip.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat said:
ThrillaMozilla I am just saying that what he stated in this post is clear and correct.
That bit doesnt sit well with me at all because I left a purged CLI-8 cartridge to stand with the reservoir full
the refill hole and the air maze uncovered for over a month and the sponge soak up very little ink.
You are correct that a dry sponge sometimes fails to absorb ink. That's an important point that people may not realize.

But Lin didn't say that a dry sponge will absorb ink. On the contrary, he said that it cannot absorb ink if the sponge chamber is closed at the vent and exit port. As it turns out, his dry sponge did absorb ink when he opened the vent. So I believe his statement is correct, and he gave clear evidence for his statement.

Edit: Oops. I have to eat these words. The assertion that the sponge cannot absorb ink was based on a logical error on my part, as I realized only after Tudor gave conclusive evidence to the contrary.

I'm not entirely sure what the rest of the conversation is about, but Tudor's instructions appear correct to me. In step 3a, Tudor wrote: "5g of ink needs to go in[to] the sponge before the vent is sealed. (italics added) Lin seems to have misunderstood that statement, but I think they both understand topfilling.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla, you did not see the original, unmodified first post. The post you see now is modified to make refilling cli-526 easier for everyone and it got to this stage with the help of this community. Lin included.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
You are correct that a dry sponge sometimes fails to absorb ink. That's an important point that people may not realize.

But Lin didn't say that a dry sponge will absorb ink. On the contrary, he said that it cannot absorb ink if the sponge chamber is closed at the vent and exit port. As it turns out, his dry sponge did absorb ink when he opened the vent. So I believe his statement is correct, and he gave clear evidence for his statement.

I'm not entirely sure what the rest of the conversation is about, but Tudor's instructions appear correct to me. In step 3a, Tudor wrote: "5g of ink needs to go in[to] the sponge before the vent is sealed. (italics added) Lin seems to have misunderstood that statement, but I think they both understand topfilling.
Tudor edited his first post. You can see he said he modified the first post at post #10. He original had the vent hole covered up right in the picture at the initial stage before one start to refill. Look at his post #8 too, that would gives you a rough idea of what his original instruction was at post #1. And that was was precisely the reason why at post #7, I asked him not too seal the vent hole So Soon. But to allow a couple of ml to be absorbed by sponge as one refill so that air and ink exchange process can take place and the sponge goes about absorbing the ink.

Since he had already edited his first post and and also added the picture of the bottle attaching to the cartridge "Purging and drying (if needed):" after what I post at #7 and #9.
you can refer to his post at #33 where he said those were the step in his original post.

Note though, I cannot recalled that was exactly words written on the first post/picture since now it's edited. But one should get an idea of what his steps was.

post #33
Tudor said:
Here are the steps in my original post:

1. Vent closed, ink is inserted in the ink chamber. Ink cannot enter the sponge (or very little ink) as the vent is closed.
2. Plug the refill hole so ink chamber has no holes in it, vent open. Ink can now pass into the sponge.
3. Vent plugged, refill hole opened and ink chamber is filled. Ink cannot pass into the sponge because the vent is closed.