CLI-526 TopFill

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thank you tudor for making the second CLI-8 video for me. Not too sure if you have throw away the existing CLI-8 in the 2nd video where you did it with hot glue.
Just a question (no need further video, because 2nd one is good enough for me to download), so the sponge absorbed unitl where it reaches about the grooves height (ie the lower sponge absorb the ink), there is remaining ink in the ink chamber, does it get further absorb by the top sponge afterall there is still ink left in the ink chamber?

Now assuming if you remove the hot glue from the refill hole, topup a couple ml of ink (while the vent is still sealed with hot glue as in your video), and then sealed the refill hole with hot glue again. After the hot glue at the refill hole is dried, remove the hot glue that was previous sealed at the vent hole and allow the cartridge to sit for 2 minutes or more if necessary, now did the top sponge gets to absorb the ink from the ink chamber? What is your observation like?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
lin said:
Just a question (no need further video, because 2nd one is good enough for me to download), so the sponge absorbed unitl where it reaches about the grooves height (ie the lower sponge absorb the ink), there is remaining ink in the ink chamber, does it get further absorb by the top sponge afterall there is still ink left in the ink chamber?
The cartridge is still fully closed with glue and clip. I'll let it sit like that until tomorrow, then remove the glue from refill hole, fill chamber with ink, plug and open the vent.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Well, you certainly demonstrated that well. I will cheerfully have to eat my words. It isn't the first time.

This is an unrelated matter, but the only other interesting thing I notice is that in the third video (cli-8 all plugged with hot glue), it looks like there's a lot of water left in the sponge. Starting at about 5:15 you can see it rising up in the sponge.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
This is an unrelated matter, but the only other interesting thing I notice is that in the third video (cli-8 all plugged with hot glue), it looks like there's a lot of water left in the sponge. Starting at about 5:15 you can see it rising up in the sponge.
That's ink rising in the sponge. For some reason it chose to not touch the outer layer and, instead, infiltrate in the middle of the top sponge. I'm sure there was still moisture in that sponge, but 13,8g for an empty cli-8 is good enough (hehe).

This is how it looks now:

Aprox 0,1g of water/moisture remains in the sponges after centrifuging a cli-521 (that's 3 drops of water):

That means that, after refilling, the ink in the sponge contains 2% water/moisture.

Weight of the 2 sponges in a cli-521 - 1g
cli-8 - 1,3g

Can we assume that in a cli-8, after centrifuging it, we have around 0,14 g of water/moisture in the sponge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor
Smashing videos and very well presented too, they certainly did answer a lot of questions.
Thank you.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Tudor

Thank you for the centrifuge details. The pictures are fine, no need for higher resolution pictures.

The centrifuge calculator/centrifuge equation shows centrifugal force is proportional to the number of rpm squared. A PGI cartridge with a mass of 35 grams subject to a 786.4 g's equals a pulling force of 27.4 kilogram force or 270 Newtons! These high forces are food for thought, beware of high rotational speeds! If I decide to make a centrifuge I'll start by estimating g-force and try to figure out if my setup will be safe. I think the top cover from a 50 pcs spindle pack of CD's will not be adequate, for use in a centrifuge.

I think the balancing geometry is brilliant. Looking at your figure with the angles drawn, and considering the lines vectors, and assigning lengths of 20 units for the CLI cartridges and 35 units for the PGI cartridge, the sum of the vectors is close to zero, meaning only a little shift of centre of gravity. The two horizontal vectors cancel, and the remaining two 20 unit vectors add up to 2 x cos(30 deg) x 20 = 34.6 which is close to 35 so these forces are close to cancelling. Of course the weight of the cartridges change during spin drying, so the centrifuge cannot be perfectly balanced for all cartridge weights.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually a pgi-520/525 is around 18g when put into centrifuge, and a cli-521/526 is around 12g. If we calculate the pulling force at the middle of the cartridge at 2500 rpm we get ~7,7kg for the pgi, and ~5,1kg for the cli. I feel a lot safer now... :)

On the first version of the centrifuge the cartridges were mounted on the outside. Can you calculate the takeoff speed of a loose 12g cartridge at 2500 rpm and r=95mm?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
Can you calculate the takeoff speed of a loose 12g cartridge at 2500 rpm and r=95mm?
I'm curious, if the opaque cartridge hits you, would you see it coming.. :gig

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tudor said:
The cartridge is still fully closed with glue and clip. I'll let it sit like that until tomorrow, then remove the glue from refill hole, fill chamber with ink, plug and open the vent.
Tudor, i wonder how much have the top sponge absorb for CLI-8 after you have left it sit for sometime 2 minutes or more without the hot glue over the vent hole like what you said in your original instruction step?