Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
It might be also that current redsetters won't work anymore on OEM chips, if the new firmware wrote something in the chip code that makes it unresettable after being declared empty.

All guesses until now, but disarming the Redsetter would be a good move from Canon.
In Europe you can't disable refilling altogether, but you may make it as difficult as possible for the good of the printer and the user.

But it can also have been a poorly educated user (not reading this forum) discouraged by a cascade of error messages.
That's how I bought my PRO-10. I was also very prudent about refilling the Maxify after reading horror stories on Amazon and drueckerchannel, but if you know what to do it is very manageable.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes, Maxie is quite reasonable ... once you get to know her a bit.

But still no screwdrivers in the maintenance tab of my Windows driver and no cassette settings at sight.
I gather that yours, being in Dutch, will be a Phillips head screwdriver - :p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The information was indeed not very precise
Until there is evidence of providence presented on the forum then this is just a rumor.

a side comment on the PRO-1000 firmware upgrade.
Is this a "side comment" on Canon's own description of what the firmware includes? I do not see it on Canon's web site in the description of wither the firmware or driver updates.

Or did Jose report this without proof, ie heard it through the grapevine?

I'd expect there would be reports from more than one person experiencing this since the firmware update has been out 4-6 months depending on Windows or Mac. Is this happening?

Not saying this couldn't be true, just that the info is really thin. Like my 95 year old uncle says... "How many bones did you break when you jumped to that conclusion?"

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The release date of the new firmware update is April 03 2020.

For the original PRO-10 the distribution file is v. 1.4 installing 2.031 on the printer.
The previous version was v. 1.3 installing 1.011 on the printer (as on mine and it is OK).
This firmware is still available only via the Mac as v. 1.3b.

For the PRO-10S it is called (strange enough) v 1.0 installing 1.020 on the printer.
Previous file was v. 1.3 too. Not downloadable anymore.

This is what José told yesterday on the upgrades (from 1:31:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nqhdYpsvqc

I saw it by accident, didn't follow until the end.
BTW he told also he refills his PRO-10 from the same 700ml PFI-1700 cartridges he uses for the PRO-1000.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, Maxie is quite reasonable ... once you get to know her a bit.

But still no screwdrivers in the maintenance tab of my Windows driver and no cassette settings at sight.
I gather that yours, being in Dutch, will be a Phillips head screwdriver - :p

I suppose I found it somewhere in the manual
Maybe it doesn't apply to your model.

>

Cassette settings
By registering the paper size and the media type loaded in the cassette, you can prevent the machine from misprinting by displaying the message before printing starts when the paper size or the media type of the loaded paper differs from the print settings. In addition, you can allow the machine to switch the paper source automatically when a cassette runs out of paper.

For details:

i_arrow_trans.gif
Paper Setting for Printing

• Register cassette paper info

Registers the paper size and the media type you load in the cassette.

i_note_trans.gif
    Note

• Detect paper setting mismatch

If you select Yes, the machine detects whether the paper size and the media type are identical with those registered in Register cassette paper info. If printing starts with the settings that do not match, an error message is displayed on the touch screen.

i_note_trans.gif
    Note

• When No is selected, Register cassette paper info or Detect cassette reinsertion is disabled.

• Detect cassette reinsertion

If you select Yes, the machine detects the cassette is reinserted. When the Register cassette paper info screen is displayed, register the paper size and the media type.
<

• Auto feed switch

If you select Yes, the machine switches the paper source automatically when a cassette runs out of paper. Load A4, Letter, or Legal sized plain paper in both of the cassettes to activate this function.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
So that was it !!
You were alluding all the time to the LCD control panel of the machine, while myself (and possibly @The Hat ) were thinking about the driver configuration on the computer.
I wonder why some settings are available only through the LCD.

After disabling ‘detect cassette reinsertion’ the machine keeps beeping although it doesn’t requires to confirm the paper size and type.

I say.. is there a way to disable also that annoying beep ? :p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
This is what José told yesterday on the upgrades (from 1:31:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nqhdYpsvqc
I thought you meant the "side comment" was about the Pro 1000.

Jose does mentions a problem with the recent (April) Pro 10 firmware upgrade causing chip resetting issues.

"I just heard from a / another user that a Pro 10 stopped working with the, um, resettable chips they have, ok, because they upgraded the, ah, firmware. So, I don't know what Canon is doing, I don't know if they are getting wise to everybody or what."​
It is unclear if Jose means he has heard from only one user or more than one with the loss of chip resetting following a firmware upgrade.

Looking at the firmware update for the Pro 100, there is nothing that indicates or even hints at prevents resetting chips. I wouldn't expect Canon to say so.

If real, this issue will be reported on other printer forums as time goes by. A third party reported sample of n=1 is not compelling evidence.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

Looking at the firmware update for the Pro 100, there is nothing that indicates or even hints at prevents resetting chips. I wouldn't expect Canon to say so.

I suppose you mean PRO 10 here, as I understood José spoke only about the firmware updates of the PRO-1000 and the PRO-10.

Thanks for the literal transcription.

IMO this hints to a blocking of resetted chips on the PRO-10.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I suppose I found it somewhere in the manual
Maybe it doesn't apply to your model.
I found those instructions in my manual but still cannot locate "Detect cassette reinsertion" to turn it off in either the software or from the printer's LCD screen's "Settings". :idunno

What I have found is that the Register screen turns off automatically after 15 seconds. And, you can still take the 1-2 seconds to hit the LCD screen to register. You're already hovering over the printer when you load paper into the cassette, for pete's sake.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I suppose you mean PRO 10 here
You are one fast reader. Must be getting alerts fast.

Yes and I corrected it minutes before you posted.