Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

pughde

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro Pixma 10
OK, just discovered this site after I tried to install the new firmware. I got the attached error, which after I reading the threads maybe a good thing. My printer works fine, I use Canon ink, at least I think it is. Although I have several low ink warnings. My USB seems fine, any ideas, in case I have a stay at home moment.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 456

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Hi.
Hard to say what happened. The error message seems to blame the USB connection. I gather that you can print OK with the Pro10 connected by USB cable ?.
Anyway, I bet that your printer won’t be any worse because of the update failure.

One thing intrigues me. You say that you think the ink is Canon. How come?, If you’re using OEM Canon carts it must be genuine ink. If you’re using third party refillable cartridges or bulk ink, then for sure it isn’t Canon.

Good thing is that because of the update error you discovered this place.
Welcome to the forum. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
[Opinion]
Given that HP recently revived their compatible killing firmware to hit yet again as the lockdown commenced... and once again they are being hit with more lawsuits regarding the tactic it's obviously a concern but I have sufficient doubts that Canon are playing the same game for a few reasons:
  1. They've been able to detect reset vs' original (non-reset) vs' third party chips for well over a decade now and haven't chosen to use that as a blunt weapon to block all compatible products.

2. Compatible cartridges and inks serve as a comparison that helps prove the value of the OEM cartridges to those who can afford to buy them. Having someone/thing worse is a useful marketing tool.

3. HP's own actions prove that they get bogged down in legal action that just employs lawyers when Canon is more interested in tackling IP infringement of things like their laser toner carts

4. This is anecdotal but I suspect that HP probably do their brand more damage pulling the firmware stunt (and this latest release is likely to really hurt if it gains traction). Making the mistake of claiming the victim (as a multi-billion turnover company) when you're locking people out of what they see as their right to put whatever they want in their property, isn't exactly a strong marketing position.

5. The recent x80/x81 series of chips has proven that the encryption is much more robust, harder to break and along with it, confirms that the R&D budgets of chip & resetter manufacturers are limited. The cost of the x70/x71 REdSETTER models provide a much higher price point putting more people off, so again refilling looks less attractive.

6. Even HP have their Achilles heels in that their printers can only remember the last 2 or 4 OEM cartridges installed, allowing the OEM carts to be refilled and re-used but, critically, only after the owner has purchased those required OEM cartridge sets, so HP still get their money.
So, on balance, I'm not sure why Canon would start down this road now, particularly as the re-manufacturing industry is replete with businesses closing down... Oh and don't forget that the ARC market is all but over now. China seems to be focused on manufacturing single use chips.. More profit for them, less legal action (if they've been coded properly) and it sates the re-manufacturing market demand although it's not cheap.
[/Opinion]

All of that said, I still wouldn't update a firmware on ANYTHING unless I knew what it was going to do and even then I'd wait for someone to get impatient and throw caution to the wind...

All my own thoughts but time will tell..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I tried to install the new firmware. I got the attached error
See the following link for Canon's explanation under the heading "Caution":

https://asia.canon/en/support/0400150602

If the printer continues to function as expected and the error message is gone then be happy, forget about firmware updates, and return to printing as usual.

NEVER update a printer's firmware unless
  1. It is to fix a problem and that problem is identified in the new firmware release, or
  2. The new firmware release adds some sort life changing functionality you just must have.
If your printer is functioning as expected then do NOT upgrade your firmware. The same advice applies to wireless routers as well.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
[Opinion]
... I have sufficient doubts that Canon are playing the same game for a few reasons:

[/Opinion]

All of that said, I still wouldn't update a firmware on ANYTHING unless I knew what it was going to do and even then I'd wait for someone to get impatient and throw caution to the wind...

All my own thoughts but time will tell..

Thanks for the insights, @websnail :thumbsup.

While Canon will make future printers more difficult to refill, I doubt they will retroactivily block existing models.
Stick with them as long as possible.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
While Canon will make future printers more difficult to refill, I doubt they will retroactivily block existing models.
Stick with them as long as possible.
Reminded me of the other thing I forgot to mention...

Canon printers come with their own life limitation in the form of consumables, particular printheads. Once the stock runs out, that's it... You have to upgrade or rely on poor quality refurbs. Case in point: iP4500, Pro-9000, Pro-9500.. All good printers that would be jumped all over if there were the heads available.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Case in point: iP4500, Pro-9000, Pro-9500.. All good printers that would be jumped all over if there were the heads available.
You forgot one:- “Luke I’m your Father”…. The i9950, it’s the 9000 without the chips..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Reminded me of the other thing I forgot to mention...

Canon printers come with their own life limitation in the form of consumables, particular printheads. Once the stock runs out, that's it... You have to upgrade or rely on poor quality refurbs. Case in point: iP4500, Pro-9000, Pro-9500.. All good printers that would be jumped all over if there were the heads available.

And are Epson printers really built for eternity ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
And are Epson printers really built for eternity ?
I wouldn’t know, but two Epson inkjet printers that I had the misfortune to purchase many years ago where built with eternally clogged nozzles in mind.
I used to call them ’the Clogson sisters’. :p