Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Those who trust blindly Canon’s ethical behavior vs, the customer, please try the update at once and tell us afterwards what happened. You’ll have our moral support in case your redsetter fails to work anymore.
I’m a diffident old fart without much faith in anything concerning business profits. This is a clear case of conflicted interests.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Those who trust blindly Canon’s ethical behavior vs, the customer, please try the update at once and tell us afterwards what happened. You’ll have our moral support in case your redsetter fails to work anymore.
I’m a diffident old fart without much faith in anything concerning business profits. This is a clear case of conflicted interests.

If second hand PRO-10's were easier to find I would have been a volunteer, also for the waste absorber count reset.
Sadly enough with the lockdown chances are very low.
Glad I found one and stocked ink before.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For cartridges of the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generation and newer Canon can determine if your cartridges are OEM or third party. Canon has a "Creative Park Premium" website where you can download greeting cards and other material to print. To gain access to the website your printer must be turned on and connected to the printer via USB.

Canon scans the printer and if the cartridges are OEM you'll get access to the site. If one or more cartridges are non-OEM you are denied access even if the non-OEM cartridge behaves normally with ink level indication. Resat and refilled OEM cartridges are accepted though.

I think that a small change in firmware could cause the printer to not only block access to a website but also block printing.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
For cartridges of the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generation and newer Canon can determine if your cartridges are OEM or third party. Canon has a "Creative Park Premium" website where you can download greeting cards and other material to print. To gain access to the website your printer must be turned on and connected to the printer via USB.

Canon scans the printer and if the cartridges are OEM you'll get access to the site. If one or more cartridges are non-OEM you are denied access even if the non-OEM cartridge behaves normally with ink level indication. Resat and refilled OEM cartridges are accepted though.

I think that a small change in firmware could cause the printer to not only block access to a website but also block printing.

Since the vast majority buys 3th party cartridges i.o. resetting and refilling OEM this could discourage some users.
I guess it is not difficult to identify a resetted chip too.

In this case we'll have to wait the first poor guy who is trapped (although I give it a low chance).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@palombian - so, the answer is "no" to both of my questions? :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon scans the printer and if the cartridges are OEM you'll get access to the site. If one or more cartridges are non-OEM you are denied access
Yes, the old "camel's nose under the tent" approach.

Still, Canon has not cut off non-OEM cartridges from working.

Couple of years ago, a friend bought a 3rd party cartridge for his HP printer. It did not work. Turned out that the censorship HP placed in a firmware update was somehow reinstated in an HP "patch" or new firmware update that the owner of the refill business directed me to install directly from HP's web site. It worked.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
First regarding creative park restrictions, the inability to use that was discovered way back in the CLI-8 days....the first chips from Canon. Canon was able to determine even back then if a chip had been reset. Moving forward from that, the disabling of services with third party chips is understandable., you gotta leave some room for the real thing to offer benefits.

Canon strategy and policy thus far is to still allow the aftermarket but restrict refilling/resetting more. This is can be seen from the way Canon printers have been manufactured all along. On the consumer desktop, each generations is highly engineered for easy and fast manufacturing. The construction alone tells the story, they are meant to be low cost snap together products. Canon seems intent on making sure that the chip the provide cannot be tampered with and reused. The non appearance of ARC chips and resetters for the CLI-281 series is the writing on the wall. It appears that they have indeed now resorted to burn the bridge strategy during the use of their chips to make sure that resetting is now possible.

The other strategy coupled with this is that they are able to exercise market segmentation to a high degree.

Finally there are also firmware/programming issues even with aftermarket chips. Some are legal and some are not. Some contain code that is not legal in some countries and allowable in other countries. When aftermarket chips are purchased some choices of this is available. Not much is written about that but it exists. One such actor is the aftermarket CLi-42 chip.
Previously they all worked with the same slowness of the real OEM one on a redsetter and asian resetter. Some newer CLI-42 aftermarket chips reset with a quick blip as if nothing happened. Obviously the coding has changed because the original redsetter did not change code yet the chip reacts differently.

There is a lot to know and delve into if one has the time and curiosity and is able to get the info which is very hard to come by.

Gentlemen and ladies or the other way around, if you choose, I think the warning signals are on the wall, Begin hoarding your stock of resettable printers and the obvious candidates are the Pro-100, Pro-10 and Surecolor P600. These will become something like an N95 respirator today.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I guess it is not difficult to identify a resetted chip too.
They can't YET....
Whether to upgrade the printer firmware or not is nothing to worry about, my opinion is don’t waste your time it’s a futile exercise..

What do you expect to gain from an upgrade.. Well You gain nothing, except for a far more secure printer that’s as water tight as a duck ass… (Internally)

I’ve had many a Canon printer so many I can’t remember all the model names, and in all that time, I’ve never once done a firmware upgrade on any of them, and all the printers worked just like normal.

Canon only issue a new firmware for a printer when they see a flaw in its existing software that might allow a user to exploit it in some way or leave them open to a court case.

Canon have always locked down their print software tightly, you only have to look at the file size of the print driver, it’s Feckin huge and that’s where Canon can do all sorts of covert things to your beloved printer.

When you first install a new printer, it won’t run properly or at all, unless you have a live internet connection, the driver on the CD is useless and is only used as a portal to gain access to your hard drive, it then scans your drives for all other Canon print drivers.

That sounds hard to believe.. Well does it.. Then try it out yourself, I can guarantee that your printer will not install properly without your drives been scanned first, then and only then will it allow the printer driver be downloaded and installed..

You can scream blue murder if you wish, but you must except the T&C otherwise the installation is terminated, not alone does it install the print driver but it can also alter your print setting on existing installed Canon printers back to default.

So don’t be worrying about firmware upgrades because Canon has already got complete control, as @PeterBJ has pointed out “Creative Park Premium photo software won’t run unless you have OEM carts installed, how do they know you don’t have OEM cart. !

Again a quick live scan of your print driver can tell if the cart chips installed are third party, or reset OEM setup chips, Canon don’t have the power to stop you printing, but then can and do stop you from using their software..

Canon print drivers can’t tell the difference between 3rd party chips or OEM reset chips, but it’s only a matter of time before they come up with something that will stop us using them..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon print drivers can’t tell the difference between 3rd party chips or OEM reset chips
That's the job of the firmware. Since other manufacturers can block 3rd party cartridge use, it is only by the good graces (and your nation's laws) that Canon does not do the same.

Canon also doesn't care if you use a 3rd party printer profile, which probably could be easily accomplished.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm, after reading all this, a firmware upgrade on an 8 year old printer could indicate "they" are planning something.

OTH, we are in Europe and not in the US, see what Epson did with the P800.