Canon releases new firmware for Pixma PRO 10s

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I used to call them ’the Clogson sisters’.
Me, I would have added Bitch to the end of the Clogson word…:lol:

When I used Epson printers back when Adam was boy, I didn’t experience clogs that much, they were just impossible to get working properly after refilling, my ignorance I reckon.. No such problems with Canon carts..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I had the misfortune to purchase many years ago where built with eternally clogged nozzles in mind.
That's just fine for me - you got the clogging printheads - I got/I'm getting the clean printheads in my printers instead - I'm printing tens of thousends of pages with one printhead - full page color, and I admit that I caused most/about of the clogs I exprienced by myself - running/mixing/testing inks, doing hardware modifications here and there, testing out how some functions work , using bad cartridges and trying to find out why they don't work which didn't make it better in all cases.
My age old Pro 7600 - 15+ years - is still printing - after resetting internal maintenance counters several times, and I scrapped some R800/265 some time ago when I was switching over to L...series ecotank printers and a P400. I just can't complain about the durability of Epson printers in this respect. But such luck is apparently not with everybody as I can read lots of postings in various forums.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Although I had a Canon MX7600 pigment printer since 2008 for my small business, I tried an abandoned Epson 2100/2200 for photo's (my analysis was there were more 3th party inks available), but could not remove the yellow clog (due to ignorance I suppose).
Ditched it and got the Canon PRO-9500 my son bought for his photography lessons, and by wonder it used the same carts as the MX7600.
I was able to make this working again, bought a resetter and ink and stayed with Canon ...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
And are Epson printers really built for eternity ?
Good grief no...

But... back in the day of the R300, etc... those ruddy printers were over-engineered to a fare thee well so you will find there are still working models available even now. I have Printer Potty customers reporting from before we even came up with the name that have Photo 950's and even a Stylus Color 740 that are so old that they graduated school and started university.

What tends to kill the Epson printers now is a mix of ink that has coagulated to the point of cement, user indifference or false-confidence-inducing-fatal-"fix" type action. Wayyy too many were binned due to indifference and a small clog coupled with official support recommendation of "buy a new one".

Many of the older Canons would still be running if it weren't for the lack of printheads or the waste pads being so difficult to replace. Shame really as I really liked the iP4500 and our MP850.

As to the whole clog-a-thon, you stick powerchrome K3 in those units now and they just run... That and look out for algae in 5 year old ink... For some reason the Claria black in Artisan and PX units seems to have more problems than most too.. Not entirely sure why though.,.

[/here endeth the "Good old days" speech] ;)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Those Epson printers I was mentioning were the first models to feature photo cyan and magenta inks in addition to the 4 regular CMYK colors. Sure, those extra inks improved smoothness and gradation of the lighter tones but, as I said, they were a clogging nightmare with OEM inks, because I never used third party on Epsons.

You had to check all the time for blank lines in the text or banding in pictures, stop printing if so, clean, start again and keep checking every sheet of paper. They were slow and mechanically troublesome as well. Double-feed was the second family name of the Clogson sisters.
I think the first one was the Stylus Photo and the other possibly Stylus Photo 750 or something like that. The second model was purchased with the vain hope that they had improved the reliability and performance of the first one,

After that annoying experience I went back to good old Canon and I swore Scarlett style : ‘God is my witness ..etc.. etc... that I’ll never buy another Epson printer again’. And so I’ve done.

Of course I’m sure that not all Epsons are like mine or they wouldn’t be manufacturing inkjet printers anymore,

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@jtoolman José Rodriguez told an hour ago in his Sunday evening chat he heard from a user "the PRO-10 stopped working with the resettable chips he had after he upgraded the firmware"

???

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Awaiting confirmation of this information (might be a false alarm ) we should be grateful to the heroic user who took the plunge. Let's start at once a raise of funds to help him/her to buy a secondhand Pro10 with the older firmware version.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
"the PRO-10 stopped working with the resettable chips he had after he upgraded the firmware"
Servers him Feckin right, (1) he shouldn’t have been using resettable chips and (2) to then go and upgrade, well he certainly got what he was looking for..

And to top it all off he’s probably using compatible carts also, so now he’ll have to go back to using his redundant OEM carts and buy a redsetter, some cheap skates will never learn.. and yes I’m being a bit hardass and rightly so..
The Pro 10 needs a bit more respect than that…I bet he didn’t keep the orange clips either..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It might be also that current redsetters won't work anymore on OEM chips, if the new firmware wrote something in the chip code that makes it unresettable after being declared empty.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Awaiting confirmation of this information (might be a false alarm ) we should be grateful to the heroic user who took the plunge. Let's start at once a raise of funds to help him/her to buy a secondhand Pro10 with the older firmware version.

The information was indeed not very precise and a side comment on the PRO-1000 firmware upgrade.
José advised against the latter but how we would know about then ?

The fund idea is not bad, until now several users here paid research out of their pockets to the benefit of the community

IMO @jtoolman is the best placed to dig this out (and he IS funded by us all) ;).

Last edited: