Canon Pixma Pro 1 Ink and refill options.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hat- I just PMed you
Joe

Foto Fuhrer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Good evening fellas; new to the site and appreciate the info already found but had another couple questions for you experts.

I have the Pixma Pro-1 and just received a fresh batch of aftermarket ink carts. The unit asked me to install most of them in order to re-start printing (first tank to be swapped was the Matte black). Each time I changed a tank, it would cycle thru the process and then ask for yet another tank to be replaced. The ink supply utility was updating, but then once I replaced all that were empty, it informed me to replace the Matte black. I was stunned & surprised by this as I just installed a new MBK 30 minutes prior. Since I only bought a set of 12 tanks, I don't have another matte black to install (again). Is this normal? When I open up the center lid/flap of the unit, all tubes are full of ink, including the matte black line.

After buying multiple sets of carts, I think I'm done going this route. I'd prefer to just buy jugs of ink and re-fill myself. I see that there is no chip resetter for the PGI-29 carts :( I really hope someone creates one of these. Maybe we could start a kick-starter campaign?! Anyways, for the time being, I see that I will have to either buy replacement chips OR disable the ink monitoring system? Thanks again to you members, I was linked to the sites below:

http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/produ..._1367016597.html?spm=a2700.7782932.0.0.Ls8ANe

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Repl..._1&btsid=59fe1888-efaa-43dc-83e1-32706acfcfba

Would either of these chip sets be the correct pieces I need to swap out the 'empty' microchip?

And if I wanted to disable the ink monitoring function, how would one do that? I've gone meticulously through the canon utilities, but cannot see this option anywhere.

Just wanted to get some more information before I drop hundreds of $$$ in pigments and chips.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you could send my way.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To start with, there won’t be any resetter made for this printer, so you’re stuck with using OEM carts, compatible carts, using one time compatible chips or disabling the ink monitoring to refill the carts yourself.

Changing a single cartridge in any printer is as you have found to your cost an expensive merry-go-round, it happen to all of us one time or another till we learn not to do that.

The use of PGl-29 compatible cartridges is a bit doggy, because they are only filled to 60% of ink, that’s 26 ml compared to OEM 40 ml, so your not getting like for like and this creates the merry-go-round even more so and that’s what’s been happening to you.

Refilling and disabling your carts is not such a good idea because you will be plagued by dire warning notices every time you try to print and the printer will also do excessive amounts of maintenance cycles to force you to stop and buy more ink. (There’s)

The best option if you don’t want to continue to purchasing these compatible filled carts is to get a stock of one time chips and to commence refilling your OEM carts yourself.

These carts are easy to refill plus you can salvage the remaining ink from all of your old used carts and reuse, the beauty of refilling is you can fill your carts up or top them off with fresh ink anytime you want, and is will stop the merry-go-round saga.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...pro-1-cartridge-with-some-photos-part-1.8668/
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/revised-refill-for-pro-1-cartridge-with-photos-part-2.8670/

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA PRO 1 & PRO 10S
Hello again everyone. I have had some luck with the inks first suggested by The Hat. I found replacing them one by one as the originals became spent worked. It seemed changing them all at once threw up an error, but one by one worked fine ... Until this morning when Ive gone to print a wedding and I now have the error code B500 and 8 flashes of both lights simultaneously. So .. everything I've googled tells me to return it for service. Can anyone help me fix this please ?

Just on a side note, the printer has only just used up all the canon inks and I think that only one original remains in the printer. Its been sat for a couple of weeks and doesnt get a huge amount of work through it.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Samuel,

You are coming to the time when you’ll have to return the printer to Canon Service for an ink reset, battery change and install a new waste cartridge.

But for now just ignore the error message and hold in the Resume button for five or six seconds and you’ll be back in business for another couple of weeks, sorry I can offer you more..

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok thanks again Hat, not tried it yet, how long will that work for and do you think a new battery etc will be under the warranty ? Only had it about 14 months : /

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ha ha, that’s the $64,000 question, the printer will continue to work till it decides to stop with the message IT’S SERVICE TIME… :ya

But they will do a good job on the machine for you, they check everything over and if they find anything that’s not quite right then they’ll replace it, so all in all you get back a nearly new printer.

O’ I nearly forgot to mention, have all your answers ready and don’t mention anything compatible, but they will check with the EPROM chip for any naughtiness on your part, and do make sure all your OEM cartridge are at least half full.. :hu
You’re at 80% full now so long will it take you to fill the other 20%.

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
O’ I nearly forgot to mention, have all your answers ready and don’t mention anything compatible, but they will check with the EPROM chip for any naughtiness on your part, and do make sure all your OEM cartridge are at least half full.. :hu
You’re at 80% full now so long will it take you to fill the other 20%.

So I cant put in the empty OEM cartridges ? Thats a cost to me of around £180.00 to buy new and ship for service :( It has an extened waranty so I'm good for another 3 yrs. Will they know I've used compatable inks ? What answers should I have ready ? I'm gettin a tad nervous :hide