Canon Pixma Pro 1 Ink and refill options.

Alastair

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro-1
Hi all,
I have put together a .ppt presentation. Unfortunately this forum is returning an error when I try to post. I'll try again in the morning, it's getting late in the UK

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You can zip your Powerpoint presentation. The zipped file can be attached to your post.

Leonardo Jose Sebba

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1 and Pro-100
I look forward to this demonstration. I need = P will help me a lot

Alastair

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro-1
Here is my Powerpoint Demo. All due credit to 'The Hat' and others for the original postings on this topic. I don't think I have added much if anything that is new, just tidied up the method and documented a real life example. I would be interested to know if anyone out there finds any problems or can help to further refine the method. In particular, any suggestions on why the CN carts do not work? It must be something with the mechanics of the cart itself as it obviously is not the chip or the ink.
Regards .... Alastair

Attachments

• Canon PGI-29 refilling.ppt.zip
    5 MB · Views: 608

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Alastair,

That was certainly a great presentation you put together and it will surely benefit quite a lot of Pro 1 owners.
The most probable reason why you had difficultly up loading the first file was due to its size.

Here are my observations

On page three you showed both cartridges side by side and I could see clearly why you had problems fitting this cart into the printer, the (Spigot) this is a light sensor and you would need to straighten it before it will work properly in the printer, error B500 = giving incorrect cartridge fitted.
pro 3.PNG

In page seven you show the syringe with a blunt needle on it.
Pro 1-7.PNG

A better alternative would be to use the green filler tool instead of the blunt needle, it lessens the chances of damaging the inner bag, it also helps if you cut 1 cm from the tip of this refiller at an angle of 20 degrees + to help extract and refill and protect theses cartridges.
pro 11.PNG

On page thirteen you show the chip that was removed from the cartridge, but it would help greatly if you had left the plastic nipple intact on the left side, it would help to hold the new chip back in place.
pro 13.PNG
page 15.
Pro 15.PNG

On pages fifteen the final step, using a small piece of electrical black tape would be better for holding the new chip, if you can’t get it to sit permantely back in place.

Thank you for sharing with us your detailed refilling guide, it was obviously a labour of love for you.
All of the above photos are courtesy of Alastair.

Alastair

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro-1
Hi Hat,
Thanks for the review and positive comments. To follow up;
I pulled apart the inner bag and can see the spigot terminates as a paddle shaped extension within the bag.(It's now in the bin, so no picture unfortunately). I did think it may be a contents sensor (no other obvious mechanism to measure low ink is obvious), and/ or perhaps combined with an agitator to mix the pigment by vibrating the paddle. But more importantly, the geometry of the bag looks to be slightly out of line, i.e. when the filler neck of the bag is in position the sensor (spigot) position is offset by being a few mm too close to the filler. That's why it is coming through the casing at an angle. The picture on page six 6, right photo, bottom left shows the offset within the cart. Not much we can do about it if the dimensions are out :)
Agreed about trimming the green filling tool, I didn't trim mine, but hey, it worked for me.
Regarding the chip removal and replacement. The plastic nipples on both sides had to be trimmed down to get the chip to sit flush. As I said, my chip had slightly smaller holes than the OEM chip, also the reverse of the chip was a little bulkier. But you are right, leaving the left nipple as it is is the preferred option if your new chip has the same dimensions as the OEM.
Black tape, clear tape, bit of blue-tack, whatever works best.
Thanks for an excellent forum, just glad to be able to give something back in exchange.
Regards .... Alastair

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If only Redseter would produce a resetter for the PRO-1
I currently have about 300 empties in complete sets and could basically get unlimited amounts more. But alas, no reseter!!!

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Again Alastair what ever works for you, is the best way, regardless of how others may want to do it, and your illustrations and instructions are perfectly workable as you have shown them to be, and its now really great that we have two refilling procedures for the Pro 1. :thumbsup

The Pro 1 is losing popularity and a lot of Chinese sites have stopped selling compatible cartridges for it, so I don’t reckon we’ll ever see a redsetter. :(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If only Redseter would produce a resetter for the PRO-1
I currently have about 300 empties in complete sets and could basically get unlimited amounts more. But alas, no reseter!!!
Having spoken to the manufacturer more than once about this they are still falling back on the experience they had with the Pro-10's and it's a no go (for now at least).

Perhaps you could do one of your videos encouraging folks to indicate potential take-up, so a clear idea of what (if any) market exists...

At the end of the day, the manufacturer has to clear costs at minimum and one very important issue is that once they'd done the heavy lifting on the code it'd be childs play for a clone manufacturer to rip that and put it into the cheap version which would, in turn, reduce the potential return on any investment.

Bit of a minefield as you can imagine...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here are a half dozen of my compatibles that I got in from China, note how straight the little paddles are on them.

Tanks.jpg