Canon Pixma Pro 1 Ink and refill options.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The cartridges are where everybody goes wrong, They have to be OEM even if they are empty, if you have compatible carts in then they can refuse to honour the warrantee because you have not used the printer in a correct and proper manner.

On the other side they have no way of knowing that you used compatible inks, but I don’t know how much information the EPROM chip can pick up from using compatible chips or cartridges, the system is fairly intellect and remains live at all times because of the Friggin on board battery.

If you don’t have sufficient ink in the cartridges when they try to run tests then they will have to fit new cartridges to honour the extended warrantee. :oops:

You need to play dumb with your answers, and don’t offer any information that can be used against you, just say I don’t know or can’t remember, if you have disabled the ink monitoring for instance they will already know that but just say you had to finish out a print job, don’t ever say you refilled any cartridges..

Once you play along these lines then everything will be perfectly ok, the Service agents are not that bright when it comes to printers anyway, so don’t give them any ammunition that they can fire back at you, just say I can’t recall ever doing something like that ! :hu :D

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA PRO 1 & PRO 10S
Hi Samuel,

You are coming to the time when you’ll have to return the printer to Canon Service for an ink reset, battery change and install a new waste cartridge.

But for now just ignore the error message and hold in the Resume button for five or six seconds and you’ll be back in business for another couple of weeks, sorry I can offer you more..

Holding the resume button hasn't worked :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Error code 8 flashes

Here is the explanation that is in the printer manual…
The ink absorber is almost full.

Press the printer's RESUME/CANCEL button to continue printing, or Contact the service centre.

Error code B500.

For this error code it recommends you turn off the printer for 5 minutes and then power back on to fix the issue..

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
@Samuel, approximately how long have you owned this printer and how many images have you printed? I'm trying to get an idea of when this type of error will eventually come about.

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA PRO 1 & PRO 10S
This was bought on the 1/2/15. It's done about 500 7x5 Prints and around 60 A4, 20 or so A3 and no more than 30 A3+ prints all on Fotospeed papers and 80% of it done with Canon own inks. Have to be honest and say the issues began with me using replacement cartridges but it's run fine on them for a good while, then this. In the process of sorting an engineer to come on site to fix it as I type. Hopefully all will be OK once he / she looks at it :idunno

Beign1986

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i440
Here is my Powerpoint Demo. All due credit to 'The Hat' and others for the original postings on this topic. I don't think I have added much if anything that is new, just tidied up the method and documented a real life example. I would be interested to know if anyone out there finds any problems or can help to further refine the method. In particular, any suggestions on why the CN carts do not work? It must be something with the mechanics of the cart itself as it obviously is not the chip or the ink.
Regards .... Alastair
Next time you could upload your Presentation to special sit , and don't have a problem.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why would anyone want to use this site when you can upload your own presentations with a little help here for free..? :p

Beign1986

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i440
Why would anyone want to use this site when you can upload your own presentations with a little help here for free..? :p
Because I always used to spend money for human labour. And there are really quality templates)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OK, I finished my Pro-1 inkset and there is now an excellent option for refillers.

However, let me get something out of the way. This printer is really meant for the really picky person who understands fully what available tools in photography is for. If you shoot Jpegs..this machine will likely be wasted. This machine wants an image that was shot raw and then properly processed.

Why? If you don't know how to do proper adjustments in Lightroom or a raw coverter, this printer would be wasted. If you don't understand what a Spydercube is for or similar device, this printer is going to be wasted. If you don't have your monitor calibrated super tight, this printer will be wasted. If you don't edit in a controlled environment, this printer will be wasted.

This printer is like having a megabuck amplifier versus a kilobuck amplifier. It's the subtleties that it is able to bring out..not the volume or frequencies it can reproduce. You need to look closely and know what to look for. Lesser printers can match the colors and brightness but not the subtlety. In reality the Pro-10 is probably more suited for the masses.

The Pro-1 really thrives on good quality papers with high ink limits. Using budget papers will not reward the user with its real capabilities. It's a thoroughbred of a printer. Really.

Not to be a snob but once you get the Pro-1 you need to make sure that your workflow is correct and you really know what you're doing to get what this printer is all about. This printer impresses with its qualities over an Epson P800.

Latest posts