Canon Pixma Pro 1 Ink and refill options.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also think info about the number of pages printed and the firmware version is printed under the nozzle check for the Pro 1. See this post for an example.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Samuel Laycock, Sorry for not responding sooner, I was needed somewhere else and then got distracted a bit.

To start with there is no way of telling which firmware Version you have on your printer unless it appears on the bottom of your nozzle check, in most cases the Pro 1 fails to show those details, none of my Pro printers have anything printed on the bottom of the nozzle checks.

Now regarding the led flashing Eight times, this is probably cause by the compatible chips themselves, you either need to have all OEM or all compatible chips installed at the same time, a mix match of chips won’t work on the newer firmware printers.

Try using all the same chip types and leave the printer turned off for an hour, hopefully this should clear the short-term memory of the EPROM chip and allow you to continue to print again... ;)

Samuel Laycock

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA PRO 1 & PRO 10S
That's OK, thanks for responding. I'm going to buy chips and ink and begin refilling. It seems the only way to go. Can you please suggest a reputable ink supplier in the UK.? And a chip supplier too? I've been watching the YouTube videos and see precision colours linked on Jose's site. Wonder if there's anything closer to home..

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately, there isn’t right now, OctoInkjet have on-going testing with their inks for the Pro 1, but you could still check and see what’s available, try an Email at: - support@octoinkjet.co.uk

PercisionColours are in the pound seats if you want inks and chips right now and their delivery prices are not as dear as you might think, it’s much better to use the OEM carts with the new chips but you still have to alter the carts slightly to fit these 3rd party chips..

Colin Pamplin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi Samuel,

That’s great news and you now have your printer working again, but it’s not good in that the new compatibles chips should have worked if installed altogether and not given any errors, it would be nice to know what’s causing this problem.

How old is your machine, and what firmware is it currently using, have you upgraded the firmware or did the previous owner do it, where did you get the compatibles from, which site and from which company. ?

You’ll have to get onto the seller of these cartridges and get replacement cartridges or better still a complete refund because there’s no use in them sending you new cartridges if the chips have been superseded and are not been recognised.

Sooner or later you’re also going to have to tackle the waste ink problem, that 1701 error tells you it’s over 80% full, that's going to be a huge headache for you, and so are you ready for this. !

Option 1. You’ll have to send your big 70 lb machine to a service centre for them to replace the waste ink cartridge, there’s the cost of courier to and from, replacement parts and labour costs, but it doesn’t stop there because you’ll need to have at least 50% full OEM ink cartridges for them to carry out this service and system check.

Otherwise they’ll charge you for a full new set of cartridges and they have other charges and penalties and restrictions if they find you’re not using OEM cartridges.

The Pro 1 printer is really a great printer to own but if you tie yourself down to using only Canon products then it gets very expensive to operate unless you’re selling all your prints.

Option 2. You can remover the top cover and a few other parts and install an external waste in tank yourself then reset the waste ink counter to zero and never be bother with that problem again, this is a much cheaper option but this too can have consequences if not done precisely..

I think Precision colours in the US now do to a high quality set of inks and refilling kit to use the original Canon carts. They also sell the one use chips from China. You have to do a slight mod to the area where the new chip sits as these have a little bubble on the back where the originals don't. They estimate a saving of 70% over oems and their ink is apparently as good as canons.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the videos from the inkset that Joe made on Youtube.
His set was a "near" final revision. Joe does not have the final version because I'm waiting for the truck to arrive my back orders ran me out of stock. If you want better then you have to go ALL OEM. My advice is that for the Red. Stick with the OEM especially on the Pro-1, and I'll possibly have a real solution for that for users too. This version is the final for the Pro-1/Pro-10 from me.
If competitors are wondering who I purchase the inks from......I am an Artisan Shop now. Either I have the inks custom made or tune in house. They are not off the shelf and catalogue.
I have some people who phone me and are possibly spies of other sellers demanding exactly where I get my inks from. Demands that I tell them or they won't purchase. Well I won't take the sale. Simple enough. But I do a lot of work as I explained once before, my work is more accurate than the labs can provide. Perfect? No. But better and the results show it.
The final version is this, use the OEM red and then you simply print without any specialized color management or tweaks. If you use papers from Moab, Red River, ilford etc. Use their profiles made with OEM inks and print on their papers with my ink. Each time I try this, it passes the test. Yes, if you have a spectro and can make profiles, by all means do so. But for the average guy who does not, then this solution is made in the heavens.

I recommend modding the carts Just like Joe has and I use his modded carts myself. I could not do a better job myself. So far, I prefer for the Pro-1 to use a simple solution.

When the cart is removed from the printer, drain till empty using a syringe and refill adapter so it is completely empty. Then using the 30ml syringe draw up as much ink as the syringe allows extending beyond the 30 ml. Then refill the cart in one push of the syringe right to the end.
This allows TWO things. The intial emptying removes any ink AND air inside the bladder. The 30 ml overextension allows some more than the 30ml and provides a similar margin as Canon and you can eliminate the need to weigh the cartridge. This method also prevents any gradual buildup of air over many refills. Foolproof as long as you use the adapter properly and push to the end of spring compression inside the cartridge.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@mikling are you sure you got your refilling procedure correct with both syringe size and amount of ink, please come back with an update... :ep
Just checking.... ;)