What is the best way to test a used printer?

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Hi Guys,

What is the best approach to testing a used inkjet printer? I saw a good deal on craigslist for a Canon Pro-100 that I want to use as a spare and I just want to make sure that its functional.

Thanks for any help!

William

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Nozzle check followed by auto alignment and then a print.
Assuming there is not clearly visible damage.
Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Guys,

What is the best approach to testing a used inkjet printer? I saw a good deal on craigslist for a Canon Pro-100 that I want to use as a spare and I just want to make sure that its functional.

Thanks for any help!
William
And a ridiculously low take away price…! :ya

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Some information about the previous usage - print volume, type of prints - text, photos should be helpful to judge the wear on that unit. There is probably a way to read out the number of pages printed, cartridge changes whatever

Last edited:

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Some information about the previous usage - print volume, type of prints - text, photós should be helfpul to judge the wear on that unit. There is probably a way to read out the number of pages printed, cartridge changes whatever

This would be good information if the original owner would give it, but from my experience, they rarely have this OR will not give it to you for one reason or another. Most of my experience is with laser printers and you can just print the config page and get this information.

In your opinion, what is a used Canon Pro-100 worth with full ink cartridges?

Basically, what I want from this deal is to get a second set of cartridges for I can have a full set of refilled carts sitting on the side. The rest of the printer is a bonus.

Thanks for everyone's help! Totally appreciate it.

William

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Newer Canon printers print the number of printed pages under the nozzle check. They also print the version of the firmware. I guess the Pro 100 will also print this info. Here is an example from the smaller Canon MG5550 nozzle check:

MG5550-3.jpg

The Pro 100 has been sold for as little as 50$ or 100$ on special occasions, so that might be a reasonable bid for a used but OK one.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I ran a nozzle check on my Pro-100 and the page looks similar. This will get me going... I'll just take my laptop with me just in case they don't have the printer hooked up to a computer when I get there.

Again, thanks everyone!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I always take spare carts, paper, service manual if available, and a netbook with the service tool.
You couldn't imagine in what condition some people dare to sell a printer.

Start with nozzle check and inspect carefully.
If not 100% half the price.
Do do some cleaning runs (you have ink, the seller not, that's why he tries to sell the printer).
If you think the head has no electric failure and could be saved and the printer has a low page count (service check) do a low bid, otherwise go home.

From time to time you are lucky and find a gem (from carefull people who always bought OEM ink and printed 1 page a day).
It's a hobby ;).

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
(dont mean to thread crap but...)
Holy crap, I never noticed the page count before....:ya

Newer Canon printers print the number of printed pages under the nozzle check. They also print the version of the firmware. I guess the Pro 100 will also print this info. Here is an example from the smaller Canon MG5550 nozzle check:

View attachment 4248

The Pro 100 has been sold for as little as 50$ or 100$ on special occasions, so that might be a reasonable bid for a used but OK one.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I picked up the printer today from craigslist... it turned out to be brand new in the box, so I paid $100 for it. Needless to say, I didn't have to look the printer over at all. The guy said he had it for 18 months and never touched it.

William