CANON PIXMA MG7720 ERROR CODE 5B00

FAUSTOCG

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA MG7520
Hi my printer has displayed ERROR CODE 5B00 and now I can do nothing with it, can someone help me fix it,

best regards

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The error code most likely means that the ink absorber is full and the printer has been locked. For older printers that's the meaning of code 5B00 and I think this also applies to your printer.

With printers of cartridge generations up to PGI-x25/CLI-x26 dealing with this error was easy. Explanations and instructions were found in the service manual for the printer. You entered service mode and used a service tool or for older printers used push button codes to reset the absorber counter. For newer printers like yours no service manual is found on the web.

Your printer will most likely enter service mode using the normal procedure with pushing the stop/release button five times but using service tool v3600 or older will cause lock up of service mode. A locked service mode cannot be unlocked.

A newer service tool v4720 works with printers of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation, but might cause service mode lock up on your printer that is of the newer PGI-x70/CLI-x71 cartridge generation. See this post and this thread.

For your printer a service tool v5103 might work, see this post and notice this Ebay link that also mentions your printer as supported. Also read this thread, but don't try the trick from the video!

My links contain the newest forum info about service tools for newer Canon printers. There have been posted no reports about the service tool v 5103 so does it work or not? There is also a suspicion that the service tool contains malware as it is necessary to disable your anti virus program to run it.

If you decide to give the service tool a try then please post your results as this would be a welcome addition to the forum knowledge about service mode and newer Canon printers.

If you are unfamiliar with service mode operations and want to give one of the newer service tools a try then write again for an instruction on how to enter service mode.

Last edited:

FAUSTOCG

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA MG7520
Hi, thanks for the links I will go into each one, my printer has a panel with cap-sensitive buttons and as soon as I turn it on they get disable(they do not show on top), how can I get my printer canon pixma MG7720 in to service mode?

Best regards

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
my printer has a panel with cap-sensitive buttons I as soon as I turn it on they get dissable
What does "dissable" mean? Please be specific.

FAUSTOCG

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA MG7520
Sorry for that I meant disable, when normal operation, function buttons appear on top of printer(they are not physical-mechanical buttons), but now error code 5B00 shows on the display but the buttons do no appear on top. But to make things simple I will like to know how to get the CANON PIXMA MG7720 into service mode.
If some one knows hot to do it please replay with the instructions.

best regards

ps. sorry if my english is not good but is not my native language.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@FAUSTOCG - your English is good. It is entering Service Mode that is not good as we don't definitely know how to help you reset the ink absorber waste counter on your printer.

I came across another of @PeterBJ 's posts concerning an PG7750 model printer that may help you get into Service Mode. See this thread. There is a picture of your printer's control panel and potential "hidden" areas for you to press to get into Service Mode.

The next issue is what can you do once you get into Service Mode? You may need software that PeterBJ discussed in order to make the changes you want to do.

Be prepared to purchase a new printer if you are unable to get into Service Mode or permanently lock up the printer when attempting to make changes with an incompatible Service Mode tool.

At this point, you have nothing to lose to try and fix yourself as the printer is not operational until the error is cleared. Just be mindful of using the appropriate Service Mode Tool, if there is one available. Follow PeterBJ's advice as best you can. Of course you could send the printer to a Canon Service Tech for work. This might cost more than a new printer!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No one has said it yet, so I’ll say your printer is a lost cause at this stage and has already locked you out, it’s time to move on and get a new printer.. :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@FAUSTOCG I searched the forum for "sensor field" and found some links for entering service mode on a printer with sensor fields instead of push buttons.

See this thread and notice post #2 by @palombian . I cannot test the procedure as I have got no printer with sensor fields, but the procedure has been used successfully by palombian.

Here and here are posts by @Łukasz also about entering service mode with a sensor field printer.

And here are more suggestions from @stratman.

If you can successfully enter service mode you will have to decide if you want to use the version 4720 which might cause service mode lock up and which I can upload as a zip archive, or you want to buy the version 5103 that is promised to be compatible with your printer.

FAUSTOCG

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA MG7520
Thank you stratman and peterbj for your posts I will start as soon as I can, first I will read all the info you have provided me and as soon as I{m finished with that will decide on the software I had a lot of work since then and I was not able to read your posts until today.

Best regards

FAUSTOCG

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PIXMA MG7520
Hi guys please take a look at the video and let me know if this could be service mode?

Attachments

• MG7720 SERVICE MODE.rar
    7 MB · Views: 816
Last edited: