Canon Pixma ip5000 ---> Help Needed!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Arrrghhhhh... this is --> "doin my head in" LOL.

OK, I get the new Inktec carts, put the BCI-6BK in and print the black to white fade --> its yellow! So I make a new image with C M Y K fades to white and two other black to white fades. Print that... all of the black to white fades are more or less the same ---> yellow hue. So I pull the BCI-6BK and put the windex back in and print the new image. All of the black to white fades print well with no yellow, hmmmm but the Y to white fade prints as a grey to white fade and the M to white fade has a grey hue to it. So I stick the new Inktec BCI-6BK and BCI-3eBK, in and run the ink back up and we get the Y & M back as expected but with the yellow hue on all of the black fades. So I load up all of the Inktec carts and work the ink through ---> after getting ink bleeds on the edge of the paper (never happened before!) and all sorts of wonderful patterns with all sorts of colours everywhere (some patterns look like a rainbow!) the print seems to have come good, the nozzle check pattern is more intense and the black bands are no where near as yellow. All I can surmise from this little lot is that there is some interdependencies between the ink heads that is thrown out if one of the inks differs from the rest in make up (viscosity?). Stuffed if I know, guessing really, just trying to explain what is happening!

Anywhooo ---> Off to print some pictures.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A scan of a print using the Inktec inks....

http://www.thejillian.com.au/download/car.jpg :D

Now its just slightly too red, but that is being picky I would say its certainly correctable using colour spaces or manually tweaking.

Crap ink, basically, that seems to have been it, I should have persisted when the "Inkman", as he called himself, gave me the original Cannon carts to try. What a waste of bucks that was, I can't find the business website any more, hmmmm. I think that the only ink I can salvage from my stash will be the BCI-3eBK ---> the rest has to go!

Thanks for the help :)

Z

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK.... {sigh} now I'm getting a red cast, no where near as bad as the yellow one was but its still noticeable. I think if I choose the right colour space it will probably go, the ones I have tried so far just made it all yellow again, letting windoze make the choice so far has been the best result.

Canon iP5000 MP2
Canon iP5000 PR1
Canon iP5000 PR2
Canon iP5000 PR3
Canon iP5000 SP2
Canon iP5000 SP4
BJ Color Printer Profile 2000

Are the default range of colour spaces offered... anyone got a clue as to which one will minimize a red cast? Should I force one of these as a default or use another one all together? Any suggestions?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
So what do the regular and extended nozzle checks look like? Can you upload new images of them?

Also, you don't need to do deep cleanings when you switch carts. That uses up a LOT of ink. Just do regular cleanings.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes I can/will... later, flat out today with family stuff! Thks. :)

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I foolishly (as it turns out) did an auto head alignment ---> now its all gone west, I'm missing chunks of the test pattern, the manual alignment pattern will not print and photos have a random mess of stripes through the image --> mainly red or blue.

I am cleaning the head again in the hope that its not been damaged... and it was looking so promising :(

Cheers
Z

Edit --> Oh yeah, and I have never seen so much ink on the bottom of the head! What a mess! Yikes!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The red hue appears to be coming from blocked cyan print nozzles. Working on getting it clean, no luck yet.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Epilogue -->

The heads dead Zed. Was printing fine, then yellow and magenta disappeared, did a clean, no joy, did a deep clean and ink all over the place, the yellow cart sucked up ink from the black???

To use an Aussie expression WOFTAM!

New printer on the way.

Thanks for the help.

Z

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you are planning to scrap your printer, I'd like to see what it might cost for you to send me the print head. I have an iP5000 that someone else sent me to try to get unclogged but during the course of working on it, I foolishly removed the print head from the printer to try to accelerate unclogging and I damaged it. I'm not sure if the printer is also damaged so I don't want to buy another print head until I'm sure the printer is OK but I sure would like to try a print head that is known not to have an electrical problem. Of course, if the shipping will be a significant percentage of a new head, it wouldn't be worth it.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I will ebay it, not sure yet, the unit is good bar the head I would say. I will have a think about it, postage to the US might be a bit expensive, will check, I guess the head does not weigh much.

Cheers
J