Canon Pixma ip5000 ---> Help Needed!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Are you saying that when you print your grey scale image with the photo black cartridge missing and your windex cartridge in its place, you get no yellow cast? Keep in mind that for a solid grey tone of less than about 80%, the photo black ink is not used at all and so it should not matter whether you have the photo black cartidge in place or your Windex cartridge in its place.
Yes... No cast is present.

The image goes from black to white, where the 80% mark is I don't know....

blackfade.png

The only difference is that the BCI-6BK cart has been swapped for one full of windex.

I suspect that this means the colour inks that I have are also the reason my colour is light. After reading the Inktec site they make the point that they get the viscosity correct for each cart type. If what I have been sold is just a generic ink and it is slightly too viscous then it makes sense that a lesser amount of the coloured ink is hitting the page.

So I now think I have/had three issues...

1. Drivers not current/correct
2. The BCI-6BK ink is just wrong for some reason (possibly its pigment ink?)
3. The remaining colours are generic dye inks and too viscous for the iP5000

Like I said before, if this is the case I am still not sure why when I tested with original carts the problem didn't just go away. I can only guess that 1. was some how tainting the result.

I can't for the life of me find anything else that makes sense, having tried all other suggestions (by the way thanks again for all the input :)) I suspect that when I originally complained to the ink guy that 1. he was a little to good at talking me around and 2. I was a little too ignorant and accepted the fault printer diagnoses to easily.
I should have stuck to my guns and been a little more persistent with the loan Canon carts he gave me.

Anywhoo... I will pick up a Canon BCI-6BK today and see if I can't get a reasonable result using that. I expect that if that solves the yellow cast I can compensate for the problem with the colours and at least get some value out of the remaining ink. Then I can get some Inktec inks when I run dry of the colours. That is the plan ATM ---> I will let you know how it goes, either I will be happy or you will get a chuckle at my expense :)

How do you make god laugh ---->

Tell him your plans!

I know this thread is prolly a bore for the older hands here but maybe it will help some other poor ignorant soul lost in printer hell :)

Thanks agian... :)

More later...

Cheers
Z

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Guys.... what do we think of InkTec brand carts?

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Oh yeah and should my BCI-6BK ink bottle be labelled "Photo Black" ? I don't get the "photo" reference and what it really means.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I use Inktec ink and highly recommend it.

I use the term "photo black" to refer to the thin BCI-6Bk dye ink and pigment black for the thick BCI-3eBk pigment black. I don't think Canon uses these terms. However, they do use the terms "photo cyan" and "photo magenta" to refer to the lighter versions of those colors.

When you are purchasing bulk ink, match up the cartridge it is intended for. Many suppliers of BCI-3eBk actually deliver dye ink or partially diluted pigment black ink. Inktec does not. Their's is 100% pigment. However, their ink will smear with a highlighter. The next time I buy pigment black, I'm going to get one that is 100% pigment and will not smear with a highlighter.

When you printed your two black-to-white images, did you specify photo paper in both cases? It looks to me like your bottom picture was made as a fast pigment black on plain paper and the upper one was done with dye inks on photo paper.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
They are both plain paper tests on standard quality.... you get tired of wasting material after a while ! As it turns out there is an Inktec retailer not far away, considering the cost of the Canon carts here (BCI-6BK = $27) I think I will buy a full set of Inktec carts ($30!!!). Then I can test with the Inktec BCI-6BK first up, then with the Inktec colours. Once I have done a few comparisons I can work out how much if any of my existing ink stock is salvageable. If the Inktec stuff is good I will buy in some bulk Ink and start refilling again, replacing my stock as is necessary. Hopefully I can use my C M & Y but we will see.

I will know the results tomorrow.

Cheers
Z

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BTW ---> Don't forget that the second image is simply missing ink that the printer actually thinks is being laid down, that would account for the rougher look.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you are telling your printer that you are printing on plain paper (whether or not you really are) it will not use the BCI-6Bk cartridge at all, so it can't make a difference whether you have your Windex cartridge installed instead or no cartridge installed or the BCI-6Bk cartridge installed.

You need to tell your printer you are printing on photo paper if you want to see what your BCI-6Bk cartridge is doing. You don't have to actually waste photo paper, just use plain paper and specify matte paper.

But I want to keep emphasizing that your problem is that you are not getting any ink through your light cyan and light magenta nozzles. Until you do, no amount of swapping Canon or Inktek cartridges will make any difference. I wouldn't buy any more cartridges until you can get your nozzle check to show all the patterns. You may have a defective printer or print head or both.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the back of the print head and where they contact the carriage?

NOTE: when you are doing these tests, do not specify borderless or duplex printing, just do regular printing.

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
If you are telling your printer that you are printing on plain paper (whether or not you really are) it will not use the BCI-6Bk cartridge at all, so it can't make a difference whether you have your Windex cartridge installed instead or no cartridge installed or the BCI-6Bk cartridge installed..
So how might you explain that it does make a difference?

The test was quite simple...

1. Print the image (std quality on plain paper) ---> noticeable yellowing.
2. Swap out the BCI-6BK with the windex cart.
3. Deep clean.
4. Print the same image (std quality on plain paper) ---> no yellowing.

Are you quite sure that when printing a half tone image the print will not resort to the BCI-6BK cart? I can print photos using the same settings and it must surely then resort to the colour carts (& the BCI-6BK??)

I can see what you are saying and I guess for line & type that would be so but in the case of the grey scale half tone test that I did it seems to suggest that the printer is using both blacks to create the image on plain paper.

The Inktec carts are worth $30 to me just to help me trouble shoot, at least I will have some ink from a reputable supplier that I can judge against.

Yes, I did clean the contacts, they looked clean to begin with but I did it anyway. No noticeable difference in the nozzle check pattern initiated from the printer.

I have also discovered that the printer puts less ink down if the double sided option is selected, I had that as a default setting so that was confusing the issue as well. I guess it makes sense to minimised the show through and reduce the risk of streaking when doing double sided work ---> another thing I never realised!

Lets see what happens with the new carts, I will print that car photo again for a direct comparison.

Cheers
Z

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
NOTE: when you are doing these tests, do not specify borderless or duplex printing, just do regular printing.
Yeah --> I worked that one out, a little late but I did get there :D

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
But I want to keep emphasizing that your problem is that you are not getting any ink through your light cyan and light magenta nozzles. Until you do, no amount of swapping Canon or Inktek cartridges will make any difference.
Surely if the ink I have is too viscous that would have some impact on the amount getting through the head?