Canon Pixma ip5000 ---> Help Needed!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I downloaded the MS Colour Control Panel and I have played with the colour spaces. I unloaded all of the ip5000 spaces and made the printer use the sRGB colour space that the monitor is using ---> basically no difference!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the test image!

Ink tanks! Oh pls give me some credit... am I coming across like an idiot or what? :)

Now using sRGB V4 colour space for monitor and printer --> not much change.

I printed that image --> I get a yellow hue across the grey and the red & green suck a bit (tech term)

colourtest.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Zedlum said:
Ink tanks! Oh pls give me some credit... am I coming across like an idiot or what? :)
No, but your printer is!

I think you indicated that the nozzle check print "prints fine but does seem to lack a little ink". Do you mean that it appears faint?

Unfortunately, the regular nozzle check makes it really difficult to see the individual nozzles. Can you do an extended nozzle check? Here is a link that may work for your printer:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=869#p869

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thks ---> That worked! :)

Cool arcane printer geek stuff... WOW :) LOL

The pattern appears complete.... errrrr... I suppose. The type quality is great, nice and black, now if I could get the normal type quality to that standard that, at the least, would be a step forward.

The only major colour block printed was the cyan, but it looks like that is as intended.

I reset the EEPROM and printed the contents... print quality is good... then I printed the WinXP test page and we are again slightly down on quality, its simply not quite as black and intense as the diagnostic stuff...

Anywhoooo.... this works well on the iP5000 --> so thanks :)

nifty-stuff.com said:
Okay, I've received a few requests for the code I used on my i860 so I'm going to post it. I take no responsibility for what these codes do to your printer.

From what I read these were designed for the i550 and i850. The extended nozzle test pattern worked on my i860.
CAUTION: After using the code on my i860 I couldn't print anymore so I had to turn off the printer, unplug the USB cable, turn the printer back on, and re-plug in the USB cable.

Start with the printer OFF

1. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
2. release RESUME (while still holding down the POWER)
3. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
4. The green light will blink and the printer will make some noise. Wait until this is finished, you are now in the printer's diagnostic mode.

To select one of the functions below, use the RESUME button and then press POWER to execute:

# of RESUME Presses - Light Color - Function

0 - green - Power Off
1 - orange - Service Test Print: Extended nozzle check pattern
2 - green - EEPROM information print
3 - orange - EEPROM initialize
4 - green - reset waste ink counter (For the Canon waste tank full error)
There are other options beyond these first 5, but from what I hear they do things that you don't want to mess with.

If you are brave and test these codes, please report back what does and doesn't work for your printer.

Remember... ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PS... Anyone got a pic of the complete extended nozzle check pattern? Thks...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The solid block of cyan is normal, I don't know what it is for or why they don't do it for other colors.

The important thing is whether every one of the segments in the nozzle check patterens is present--it sounds like it is.

I'm beginning to think the problem is not in the printer but rather in your new computer OS. The best thing would be for you to find a 2K system to try your printer on but since that looks like it is out of the question, another idea would be for you to print using the USB cable from a camera. Surely someone in your orb has one or if not, how about taking your printer into a store and asking them to print using their computer or camera?

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Good idea! I will try the camera thing! Thks

Zedlum

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, did the camera thing and its still yellow, I guess that rules out the OS ---> so its back to the printer or the ink.

I did the extended nozzle check pattern again and had another look... its now later in the day and the light is better. I can now see the feint second row of colour grids ---> just! If I had to guess I would have expected the first row to be darker and the feint/second row to be around what I got from the first row. The second row is so feint that you can't really be sure that the pattern is complete.

I'm thinking that a new printer is the best option ---> pity, still got a small fortune in ink to use!

I'm thinking that the MP630 will suit.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/93059/Printers_MULTIFUNCTION/Canon/MP630.asp

With some bulk ink (InkTec?) and a chip resetter from these guys.

http://www.bizco.com.au/Bulk-Ink/c39/index.html

Still open to solutions for the iP5000, seems a pity to relegate it to line work only, it did do such a fine job.